Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP. How do I contact my sister in Manchester quickly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Want to tell my sister and her husband about my son's offer of a place in the second year at Man Met Uni. They live in a flat and don't have a landline. Their mobile phone has been switched off for days. It keeps just going to answer machine, which they can not check if they have no credit in their phone. My son tried ringing them the other day anyway to thank them for his birthday card with the £60 that was enclosed. I looked at 192.com and online Directory Enquiries, to try and find the phone number of a neighbour, who I could then ring and they could nip over to my sister's flat and knock on the door or push a note through the letterbox saying to contact me. Any advice? P.S. I don't have any money in the bank at all to buy credits to search online.

ReputationRep:
    Go visit
    Write an email
    Write a letter
    Send a pigeon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    Go visit
    Write an email
    Write a letter
    Send a pigeon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but I live in Northern Ireland. I really need to contact her today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Friends? Family?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    Friends? Family?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know the names of any of their friends, and only other relatives are in Cornwall. My sister's husband has about five siblings, but I have no idea whereabouts in Manchester they are and only know a few of their names. [Not seen them since the wedding 30 years ago]. Thank you anyway; it's appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    To tell them that your son's got an offer from one of his unis? That's not really an emergency, surely? Just send them a letter. I really wouldn't start bothering their neighbours unless a family member was critically ill. Just pop a note in the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    To tell them that your son's got an offer from one of his unis? That's not really an emergency, surely? Just send them a letter. I really wouldn't start bothering their neighbours unless a family member was critically ill. Just pop a note in the post.
    No. I tried contacting them a few days earlier to let them know the cash they sent in the post had arrived safely. We have this agreement that if either one of us send something then we telephone the other straight away [especially if there is money in an envelope, which there sometime is]. Been trying but to no avail. Then my son got his offer the day after his birthday. Anyway, I contacted a local Facebook group. Lots of people saw my notice and a few offered to help. There is a woman going round there at 10 am . She lives five minutes away. There have been many instances over the years when I haven't been able to get in touch with them for sometimes weeks on end. It worries me to death. My sister suffers from severe depression and Borderline Personality Disorder.

ReputationRep:
    No. I tried contacting them a few days earlier to let them know the cash they sent in the post had arrived safely. We have this agreement that if either one of us send something then we telephone the other straight away [especially if there is money in an envelope, which there sometime is]. Been trying but to no avail. Then my son got his offer the day after his birthday. Anyway, I contacted a local Facebook group. Lots of people saw my notice and a few offered to help. There is a woman going round there at 10 am . She lives five minutes away. There have been many instances over the years when I haven't been able to get in touch with them for sometimes weeks on end. It worries me to death. My sister suffers from severe depression and Borderline Personality Disorder.
    Nobody can give useful advice unless you give the relevant info. A serious concern for your sister's wellbeing, isn't the same as telling someone uni news or thanking them for birthday money. Your first post was misleading.

It's just a shame that a bunch of total strangers around your sister now know that she's potentially vulnerable, and at least one of them knows her address. In my area, that would be pretty dangerous. If you were that concerned, it would've been safer for your sister if you'd started with the police, and if they wouldn't help, then a reputable charity such as The Salvation Army. You need to think through the consequences of your actions. Just because you mean well, doesn't mean that what you're doing is right or safe. Just because you are a nice caring person, you can't automatically assume that everyone else is. In this case, you have no way of knowing whether you've put your sister in harm's way.

Good luck though. I hope your sister appreciates your efforts. Although she may just have gone on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Nobody can give useful advice unless you give the relevant info. A serious concern for your sister's wellbeing, isn't the same as telling someone uni news or thanking them for birthday money. Your first post was misleading.

It's just a shame that a bunch of total strangers around your sister now know that she's potentially vulnerable, and at least one of them knows her address. In my area, that would be pretty dangerous. If you were that concerned, it would've been safer for your sister if you'd started with the police, and if they wouldn't help, then a reputable charity such as The Salvation Army.

Good luck though. I hope your sister appreciates your efforts.
    No-one ,including the woman who called round, know anything about my sister's mental health problems. And I only gave the woman actually going round there her address. I've spoken a number of times on this forum about my sister, and also about myself and my son. I feel perfectly comfortable disclosing information about my family members. People on here don't know my name. BTW, many thanks for the tip about the Salvation Army. I thought they only helped with missing persons.

ReputationRep:
    No-one ,including the woman who called round, know anything about my sister's mental health problems. And I only gave the woman actually going round there her address. I've spoken a number of times on this forum about my sister, and also about myself and my son. I feel perfectly comfortable disclosing information about my family members. People on here don't know my name. BTW, many thanks for the tip about the Salvation Army. I thought they only helped with missing persons.
    Again, you're not thinking this through.

The woman won't tell anyone else? How do you know that? Her husband/family won't ask her where she's going? She won't want to take anyone with her? She'll be knocking on a stranger's door - that's not necessarily safe for her, especially if your sister is unpredictable. And she must have some notion that there's a serious reason for you to be seeking help from people on the internet - she can't think that this is a trivial matter.

What if she knocks on the door and gets no reply? Will you call the police? What if your sister is just avoiding you and doesn't want to talk to you? She's entitled to do that. If she's already prone to depression, how will she feel if a stranger knocks on her door and tells her that her sister has asked the internet to check on her?

As I believe I've said before, meaning well does not make your actions right. Your posts make you sound as irrational as you seem to consider your son and sister.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.