Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello again ,

I am an international student who will hopefully study in UK next year. And here is my dilemma, is laptop necessary at university? I mean, what would you recommend for programming and computer graphics (computer games sometimes too )? Does buying a heavy high-end laptop make sense at all? I was thinking about either going with this or trying to divide my budget and buying something more portable and obviously cheaper plus building a desktop computer in UK after settling there.

How often do you work and study with laptop outside your place? I've had mine for 6 years now and despite the fact that every week I'm in two places roughly 100km from each other, I use it like desktop computer :/

ReputationRep:
    It's entirely upto you, you will find that most Uni's have powerful computers (especially in the games development buildings), buying a portable gaming laptop would eliminate the version compatibility issues and stuff when porting things over though from campus to home.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which laptop you want to get.
    If you want power and future proofing go with anQuad core i5 or i7 st least. Don't be fooled by laptops that talk all about their powerful i7s when they only have a puny dual core i7

Depends what your budget is. What budget do you have and where do you live? Are you going to come over to the U.K and buy it or are you gonna buy it at your home country?

Generally speaking, desktops are almost always cheaper and more powerful than laptops. Plus they are cheaper and easier to upgrade and maintain especially if there is a hardware failure.

I'm gonna take my custom built gaming rig to uni
    Name:  IMG_20160129_080151.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  510.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    its entirely dependant on what you want it for, if you literally want it for programming or something and don't play games (like myself), a laptop is a far wiser investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asim1999)
    Depends which laptop you want to get.
    If you want power and future proofing go with anQuad core i5 or i7 st least. Don't be fooled by laptops that talk all about their powerful i7s when they only have a puny dual core i7

Depends what your budget is. What budget do you have and where do you live? Are you going to come over to the U.K and buy it or are you gonna buy it at your home country?

Generally speaking, desktops are almost always cheaper and more powerful than laptops. Plus they are cheaper and easier to upgrade and maintain especially if there is a hardware failure.

I'm gonna take my custom built gaming rig to uni
    Name:  IMG_20160129_080151.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  510.1 KB

Budget around 1500-1800 $ and I'm from Poland, so in order to get to UK I must take a flight , that is why I don't know how to transport such a big desktop computer :/ As far as I am concerned buying it in my country is cheaper so it'd be advisable, however, it's not necessary... How about you? How are you going to transport it then?

I know that laptops are generally inferior to desktop computers and I am willing to buy the second one, but transporting it'd be hard imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    its entirely dependant on what you want it for, if you literally want it for programming or something and don't play games (like myself), a laptop is a far wiser investment.
    Haha, man, I have been saving for this moment for roughly 5 years! And every game experience on my current laptop isn't literally the thing you would call gaming :P I hope that I will get a job in UK and study at the same time, consequently my leisure time will be limited, but I MUST try witcher 3, not only because it's from my country devs, but also as I has been told a few times the script is incredible.

And... Java needs a lot of RAM
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by fifek)
    Hello again ,

I am an international student who will hopefully study in UK next year. And here is my dilemma, is laptop necessary at university? I mean, what would you recommend for programming and computer graphics (computer games sometimes too )? Does buying a heavy high-end laptop make sense at all? I was thinking about either going with this or trying to divide my budget and buying something more portable and obviously cheaper plus building a desktop computer in UK after settling there.

How often do you work and study with laptop outside your place? I've had mine for 6 years now and despite the fact that every week I'm in two places roughly 100km from each other, I use it like desktop computer :/
    Hi there,

My name's Chris, a second year CS student at Bath. I've used my laptop since the start of my degree. I don't tend to bring a desktop to uni as I've never felt the need to for academic work. None of the work you will be doing is likely to warrant anything more than a standard laptop capable of installing IDEs and text editors such as Eclipse, IntelliJ, NotePad++, MATLAB and so on (those are the ones I use most).

I like taking my laptop to and from campus so I can complete work in gaps and take notes in lectures, saving time. I wouldn't worry getting anything top of the range unless you specifically want a gaming laptop for playing games in your spare time - for academic use only however, that's not necessary.

I hope that helps! Any more questions, let me know!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi there,

My name's Chris, a second year CS student at Bath. I've used my laptop since the start of my degree. I don't tend to bring a desktop to uni as I've never felt the need to for academic work. None of the work you will be doing is likely to warrant anything more than a standard laptop capable of installing IDEs and text editors such as Eclipse, IntelliJ, NotePad++, MATLAB and so on (those are the ones I use most).

I like taking my laptop to and from campus so I can complete work in gaps and take notes in lectures, saving time. I wouldn't worry getting anything top of the range unless you specifically want a gaming laptop for playing games in your spare time - for academic use only however, that's not necessary.

I hope that helps! Any more questions, let me know!

Chris
    +1
    I'm only a first year, while you can in theory swap between a desktop and school computer, if you're doing a programming related degree a laptop would be really beneficial.

Another common thing I see is people having semi decent gaming rigs in their dorms and a semi decent laptop JUST for Uni work, if you're not obsessed with playing every PC game on ultra then this is financially viable.

ReputationRep:
    +1
    I'm only a first year, while you can in theory swap between a desktop and school computer, if you're doing a programming related degree a laptop would be really beneficial.

Another common thing I see is people having semi decent gaming rigs in their dorms and a semi decent laptop JUST for Uni work, if you're not obsessed with playing every PC game on ultra then this is financially viable.
    Fair enough Thanks a lot!

I will consider slightly worse laptop then, maybe around 500 - 750$, as you mentioned I should be okay with that, and yeah, I don't need ultra settings everywhere, if it's not as laggy as my current comp, I will surely be fine :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifek)
    Hello again ,

Hey, Im from Bulgaria and I will be bringing my desktop computer to uni in September. :3 Im really happy with my computer and a laptop with the same specs will be so friggin expensive. I will bring it along with my monitor, keyboard, mouse and sound system. I advice you to find courier services that can transport it from Poland to where you will be. For me from Sofia to London it costs less than 1 pound per kilogram and they said i can transport electronics (specifically my computer) and the only thing i have to do is wrap it really well. I will also transport my bike. So, basically, from Sofia to London im using a Bulgarian courier company and from London to Bournemouth I will be using a UK courier. I was looking at the prices and it was ranging from 5 to 6 pounds for 10kg, without insurance i think.

If building a pc is cheaper in Poland then just do it and transport it to the UK. xD I personally really don't need a laptop because i prefer taking notes by hand and my major will be related to art so I don't want my programs to lag or anything and I prefer working at home rather than the uni. xD But if you need something moveable, get a laptop. :3 I prefer computers because it's cheaper (in my country, can't say about the others) and I can always change parts. xDDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sannyny)
    Hey, Im from Bulgaria and I will be bringing my desktop computer to uni in September. :3 Im really happy with my computer and a laptop with the same specs will be so friggin expensive. I will bring it along with my monitor, keyboard, mouse and sound system. I advice you to find courier services that can transport it from Poland to where you will be. For me from Sofia to London it costs less than 1 pound per kilogram and they said i can transport electronics (specifically my computer) and the only thing i have to do is wrap it really well. I will also transport my bike. So, basically, from Sofia to London im using a Bulgarian courier company and from London to Bournemouth I will be using a UK courier. I was looking at the prices and it was ranging from 5 to 6 pounds for 10kg, without insurance i think.

If building a pc is cheaper in Poland then just do it and transport it to the UK. xD I personally really don't need a laptop because i prefer taking notes by hand and my major will be related to art so I don't want my programs to lag or anything and I prefer working at home rather than the uni. xD But if you need something moveable, get a laptop. :3 I prefer computers because it's cheaper (in my country, can't say about the others) and I can always change parts. xDDD
    In any degree that involves programming its not the notes that are an issue (I also write notes by hand, couldn't imagine doing set theory, rooted tree/graphs etc etc on a laptop...).

The issue is when your going to and from practicals and home, import/export eclipse projects, Android Studio projects etc etc, you run the risk of corrupting all your work with the different versions available, not to mention the logistical nightmares involved of creating folder structures to accomodate for this.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Another option is to have a good laptop PLUS an external monitor.

ReputationRep:
    In any degree that involves programming its not the notes that are an issue (I also write notes by hand, couldn't imagine doing set theory, rooted tree/graphs etc etc on a laptop...).

The issue is when your going to and from practicals and home, import/export eclipse projects, Android Studio projects etc etc, you run the risk of corrupting all your work with the different versions available, not to mention the logistical nightmares involved of creating folder structures to accomodate for this.

As far as I am concerned one can open for example free github account and easily store things there with fast synchronisation.. Once, I used that method to work on java project in Android Studio and it was quite useful, especially when it comes to work in groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Another option is to have a good laptop PLUS an external monitor.
    Have you tried something like that? In my opinion high-end laptop is necessary in that case, I'd even say 'gaming laptop', therefore there is not much difference between them and casual desktop computers... The way I see it is that 'gaming laptops' aren't portable at all and buying such a heavy machine is pointless :/

According to what you're saying guys I won't manage to live without a laptop when I study computer science, that's strange ! What is the main focus of the lectures then? Only programming? I mean, I could easily adjust myself to that, because of the fact that I've been learning by practice since my first year in high school...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by fifek)
    Have you tried something like that? In my opinion high-end laptop is necessary in that case, I'd even say 'gaming laptop', therefore there is not much difference between them and casual desktop computers... The way I see it is that 'gaming laptops' aren't portable at all and buying such a heavy machine is pointless :/
    I'm not a student, I'm a parent with a CS background but I have the obligatory MBP13r (with 1TB SSD) and an external Dell monitor (plus a 2TB external HD for storage-heavy content). IMHO it's good to have a smallish lightweight laptop, hence the seperate external screen.

But I'm not a gamer.

ReputationRep:
    The best compromise would be getting a high end laptop with thunderbolt 3 and getting an external graphics card dock which you can plug in a monitor, peripherals and storage for when you want to game or use a monitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asim1999)
    The best compromise would be getting a high end laptop with thunderbolt 3 and getting an external graphics card dock which you can plug in a monitor, peripherals and storage for when you want to game or use a monitor.
    Actually, I thought about it, and Razer's laptop with external gpu makes sense, but when you sum up the cost, it is rather expensive :x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by fifek)
    Budget around 1500-1800 $ and I'm from Poland, so in order to get to UK I must take a flight , that is why I don't know how to transport such a big desktop computer :/ As far as I am concerned buying it in my country is cheaper so it'd be advisable, however, it's not necessary... How about you? How are you going to transport it then?

I know that laptops are generally inferior to desktop computers and I am willing to buy the second one, but transporting it'd be hard imo
    The answer to this question is always 'desktop'. If your prepared to self build then you can have a mighty machine and peripherals for half your total budget.

My personal preference is to go for the desktop for work and gaming and just get a tablet for general stuff on the move.

ReputationRep:
    Search for a decent laptop with thunderbolt 3. It doesn't have to be from razer
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    2nd hand ultrabook, build your own desktop here. If the parts are significantly cheaper, then you cna carry over the cpu, memory and graphics card. My preference is desktop for power, fixability and value for money. Only if you play games.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.