The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Geography B 2017 exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tripletrouble333
Thanks, my school gave us free revision guides but there are so many mistakes its cringeworthy- I'll definitely look into the Pearson revision guide!

Same! My school give us these random sheets but they don't tell us what we need to know. During the mocks I used the case studies in the Pearson book rather than the ones we were taught and my teachers told me off for it but if they're right it shouldn't matter! My school think they know best when they clearly don't
I used the pearson purple revision guide when I did geography gcse. I got an A* and 100 100 100 98 UMS, and then an A at AS level geography. It wasn't too difficult, the questions are rather repetitive each year. My biggest tip to you is to DO PAST PAPERS!!! Do them all, once youre familiar it gets so easy because you know what kind of things you should be revising. Also, I think I used model exam answers that I found on here and some revision notes too (just google edexcel b geog revision). Keep learning your notes and do past papers repeatedly. IIRC, unit 3 is probably the most difficult because it can be on anything. But just remember to be reasonable in your answers and weigh out the pros and cons using geographical terms and you'll get the marks- i thought I did really bad and I got 100 UMS back when I did mine (2015), and the whole exam was about water and cattle or something? Oh also, learn case studies to back up answers as the facts gain an extra mark, memorizing case studies it what I struggled with the most in GCSE and in AS but I got lucky in my exams and didn't have many.

DO PAST PAPERS AND LEARN THE NOTES!!!
Reply 22
Original post by bex.anne
I used the pearson purple revision guide when I did geography gcse. I got an A* and 100 100 100 98 UMS, and then an A at AS level geography. It wasn't too difficult, the questions are rather repetitive each year. My biggest tip to you is to DO PAST PAPERS!!! Do them all, once youre familiar it gets so easy because you know what kind of things you should be revising. Also, I think I used model exam answers that I found on here and some revision notes too (just google edexcel b geog revision). Keep learning your notes and do past papers repeatedly. IIRC, unit 3 is probably the most difficult because it can be on anything. But just remember to be reasonable in your answers and weigh out the pros and cons using geographical terms and you'll get the marks- i thought I did really bad and I got 100 UMS back when I did mine (2015), and the whole exam was about water and cattle or something? Oh also, learn case studies to back up answers as the facts gain an extra mark, memorizing case studies it what I struggled with the most in GCSE and in AS but I got lucky in my exams and didn't have many.

DO PAST PAPERS AND LEARN THE NOTES!!!

WOW you did really well! I'm most worried about unit 3 because I didn't do too well in my mock but thats because my school didn't prepare us well enough for that. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look for extra revision notes and get those past papers done. Good luck with your A-Levels! What other a levels are you doing apart from geography?
Original post by RiyaP06
WOW you did really well! I'm most worried about unit 3 because I didn't do too well in my mock but thats because my school didn't prepare us well enough for that. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look for extra revision notes and get those past papers done. Good luck with your A-Levels! What other a levels are you doing apart from geography?

Thank you! Don't worry about your mocks. At the end of year 10 I had an E in geography. My teacher told me there was no way I would pass. In feb of year 11 we did a unit 3 mock and I got a D, and then on the exam I did really well. Obviously 100 UMS doesn't equate to full marks but I really did come out of the exam hoping I scraped a C, because water wasnt my strongest topic. Then I realised that it was more about your reasoning skills than it was testing you on content, and for some reason I just remember mentioning sustainablity is a big thing in ALL unit 3 papers. But yeah dont worry about it, most schools are unprepared and teachers dont really know how to mark it, i think the real examiners are less harsh and its alot easier when it comes to it. I dropped geography at AS because my teacher chose to focus on physical geography (tectonics specifically) for one of the A2 exams, and I prefer human. At A2 I am doing Chemistry, Biology and English Language. Geography is harder at alevel, but the sciences are ALOT harder. What are you looking to study?
Original post by RiyaP06
Same! My school give us these random sheets but they don't tell us what we need to know. During the mocks I used the case studies in the Pearson book rather than the ones we were taught and my teachers told me off for it but if they're right it shouldn't matter! My school think they know best when they clearly don't

That's so wrong that you were told off!!! I did my mocks last week and more next week so I don't know how well I've done- what grade did you get?
Reply 25
Original post by bex.anne
Thank you! Don't worry about your mocks. At the end of year 10 I had an E in geography. My teacher told me there was no way I would pass. In feb of year 11 we did a unit 3 mock and I got a D, and then on the exam I did really well. Obviously 100 UMS doesn't equate to full marks but I really did come out of the exam hoping I scraped a C, because water wasnt my strongest topic. Then I realised that it was more about your reasoning skills than it was testing you on content, and for some reason I just remember mentioning sustainablity is a big thing in ALL unit 3 papers. But yeah dont worry about it, most schools are unprepared and teachers dont really know how to mark it, i think the real examiners are less harsh and its alot easier when it comes to it. I dropped geography at AS because my teacher chose to focus on physical geography (tectonics specifically) for one of the A2 exams, and I prefer human. At A2 I am doing Chemistry, Biology and English Language. Geography is harder at alevel, but the sciences are ALOT harder. What are you looking to study?

Yeah I got a D in unit 3 in my mocks too! My worst unit 1 topic is Restless Earth- I just can't get my head round that. I was disappointed but what you've said has actually calmed me down a bit so thanks! I constantly think of results day hoping that I get the results I want but it comes down to the work I do. Having the new scale for maths and English doesn't help either but it is what it is. I've picked Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy. I've heard so much about how hard sciences are so I hope I'll be ok. Everyone keeps telling me that chemistry is really hard without A Level maths. What do you think? Is the maths really difficult in Chemistry?
Reply 26
That's so wrong that you were told off!!! I did my mocks last week and more next week so I don't know how well I've done- what grade did you get?

I know! My school are so weird! Im sure you'll be ok in your mocks, I mean the answer you gave for that question on climate change was pretty good! I got A* in Unit 1 and D in Unit 3 (lack of prep I think) so I got a B overall. Hoping for an A/A* in the real exams but one can only hope LOL
Original post by RiyaP06
I know! My school are so weird! Im sure you'll be ok in your mocks, I mean the answer you gave for that question on climate change was pretty good! I got A* in Unit 1 and D in Unit 3 (lack of prep I think) so I got a B overall. Hoping for an A/A* in the real exams but one can only hope LOL

Lol I could probably get A/A* if I tried but I do a lot of sport so it is difficult to find time to revise. Unit 1 does seem to be the easiest though, how come you didn't do the units in order?
Reply 28
Lol I could probably get A/A* if I tried but I do a lot of sport so it is difficult to find time to revise. Unit 1 does seem to be the easiest though, how come you didn't do the units in order?

Yeah I understand, sports does take up a lot of time. I actually don't know why my teacher picked to do unit 1 and 3 in the mocks. We should've done only unit 1 because thats the only unit we've finished. We're nearly done with unit 2 but to do unit 3 you need to have finished unit 1 and 2. And my teacher blames us for not doing well in unit 3. I genuinely believe that my teacher has major problems.
Which units did you do for your mock?
Original post by RiyaP06
Yeah I understand, sports does take up a lot of time. I actually don't know why my teacher picked to do unit 1 and 3 in the mocks. We should've done only unit 1 because thats the only unit we've finished. We're nearly done with unit 2 but to do unit 3 you need to have finished unit 1 and 2. And my teacher blames us for not doing well in unit 3. I genuinely believe that my teacher has major problems.
Which units did you do for your mock?

1 and 2 for us although we haven't finished unit 2- I think there is an illness that is spreading to all the geography teachers that is stopping them from functioning properly...
Reply 30
1 and 2 for us although we haven't finished unit 2- I think there is an illness that is spreading to all the geography teachers that is stopping them from functioning properly...

I completely agree! I know that when I get my real results, I won't be able to thank any of my geography teachers thats for sure
Original post by RiyaP06
I completely agree! I know that when I get my real results, I won't be able to thank any of my geography teachers thats for sure

Yh tbh I would rather write a letter of thanks to the text book producer than thank my teacher!!
Reply 32
Yh tbh I would rather write a letter of thanks to the text book producer than thank my teacher!!

Exactly! I don't understand why good GCSE results make the school look better. Don't people realise that its the all because of revision guides??
Original post by RiyaP06
Exactly! I don't understand why good GCSE results make the school look better. Don't people realise that its the all because of revision guides??

Exactly and that's not even the only thing. I get up at 6:15 every day bar weekends so that I can get yo school on time and then I got to be really late cuz of the amount of homework they set! I spend all my waking hours at school half asleep cuz of the relentless work and then they complain if you don't hear what they say as you're in your own world. If it wasn't for revision guides I would fail all of my gcses!
PEE paragraphs
point- whats ur point
evidence- give proof
explain- explain ur evidence
link- link back to the question
do that 3 times u should be fine

in fact you can link you answer back on your last paragraph, doesnt have to be all three
Original post by RiyaP06
I'm currently revising unit 1 Climate Change. I've had a looked on some of the papers and one of the questions was;
'Explain how the future climate of the UK is likely to be affected by global climate change'
I have no idea how I would answer that to get the full 6 marks or in the top band at least. Does anyone know how to answer this??
Reply 35
Exactly and that's not even the only thing. I get up at 6:15 every day bar weekends so that I can get yo school on time and then I got to be really late cuz of the amount of homework they set! I spend all my waking hours at school half asleep cuz of the relentless work and then they complain if you don't hear what they say as you're in your own world. If it wasn't for revision guides I would fail all of my gcses!

Thats exactly the same as me! I feel so tired all the time because I wake up at 6:15 too and the teachers dont get that homework is not the same as revision. They think they know whats best but they dont know anything. Some of them are so incompetent its ridiculous. I can't wait to leave my school and do my ALevels somewhere else. Its a joke!
Reply 36
Original post by unillama
PEE paragraphs
point- whats ur point
evidence- give proof
explain- explain ur evidence
link- link back to the question
do that 3 times u should be fine

in fact you can link you answer back on your last paragraph, doesnt have to be all three

Thank you!!
Original post by RiyaP06
Thats exactly the same as me! I feel so tired all the time because I wake up at 6:15 too and the teachers dont get that homework is not the same as revision. They think they know whats best but they dont know anything. Some of them are so incompetent its ridiculous. I can't wait to leave my school and do my ALevels somewhere else. Its a joke!

Yh it is tbh, did you hear about the teacher in America who gave half her students homework and didn't give the other half homework then compared their test results and there was no correlation?
Reply 38
Yh it is tbh, did you hear about the teacher in America who gave half her students homework and didn't give the other half homework then compared their test results and there was no correlation?

Yeh I saw that! I tried to explain that to my geog teacher and all she said was 'oh this is GCSE, its harder than the American school system so homework matters' I was just like umm that doesn't make a difference, everyone works differently. I think teachers just find an excuse to look like good teachers despite the benefit it actually has on the students
Original post by RiyaP06
Yeh I saw that! I tried to explain that to my geog teacher and all she said was 'oh this is GCSE, its harder than the American school system so homework matters' I was just like umm that doesn't make a difference, everyone works differently. I think teachers just find an excuse to look like good teachers despite the benefit it actually has on the students

Yh they just want us to produce more work so they can show off to their bosses. They're using us to get a pay rise...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending