Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing work experience at my local dental practice (I want to do Medicine at Uni, but because I am only 16 years old I have been rejected by my local hospitals to do work experience there and my dental clinic accepted me despite my age). I have been doing 5 hours of work experience every Saturday with them for 5 weeks now and I am starting to feel that it is getting a little repetitive in terms of the practical things that I do and the types of patients that come in...what would you do if you were in my position?

ReputationRep:
    Continuing there wouldn't probably be that useful. When it comes to experience med schools are looking for commitment to medicine, experience of being around and caring for patients, and understanding of what working as a doctor is like. I think it'd be a much more valuable use of your time to get a long-term volunteering placement at a care home or something, and then apply for some shadowing experience at hospitals and GPs when you're older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mveeramani0606)
    I am currently doing work experience at my local dental practice (I want to do Medicine at Uni, but because I am only 16 years old I have been rejected by my local hospitals to do work experience there and my dental clinic accepted me despite my age). I have been doing 5 hours of work experience every Saturday with them for 5 weeks now and I am starting to feel that it is getting a little repetitive in terms of the practical things that I do and the types of patients that come in...what would you do if you were in my position?
    spending too much time in one place wouldnt be very helpful - especially if the person organising your placement isnt putting in the effort to arrange a varied experience. you could firstly try asking that person if its possible to shadow slightly different aspects of the work at that practice that might be valuable to you as a prospective med student.

i think an obvious question youd expect at your medicine interview would be 'what have you learned from your work experience about medicine?'. and im not sure if a couple of weeks at the dentists would be enough to give a decent answer. as station mentioned, youd strengthen your future application a lot by gaining some volunteering experience in a social or healthcare setting. look closely at local charities, both big and small (i found volunteering work quite easily with a small local charity working with disabled children, and RNIB being a befriender to elderly blind people), and ofc any care homes.

i think at 17 you will be able to undertake clinical shadowing placements with no problems? i cant emphasise enough how useful a hospital placement can be both for gaining an insight into the profession and also boosting your application. my tips regarding this would be to 1) Find local consultants in a specialty you might be interested in, and contacting them directly by email. You can blanket email something general to many consultants (introduce yourself, describe your interest in medicine and desire for some shadowing experience), but if you personalise them slightly - for example by reading their recent publications (just the title/abstract!) and incorporating it into your email - it would greatly boost your chances. 2) apply as early as you can - after initial agreements with the consultants, my paperwork took several months to come through before I could start my placements!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh Laurie)
    spending too much time in one place wouldnt be very helpful - especially if the person organising your placement isnt putting in the effort to arrange a varied experience. you could firstly try asking that person if its possible to shadow slightly different aspects of the work at that practice that might be valuable to you as a prospective med student.

i think an obvious question youd expect at your medicine interview would be 'what have you learned from your work experience about medicine?'. and im not sure if a couple of weeks at the dentists would be enough to give a decent answer. as station mentioned, youd strengthen your future application a lot by gaining some volunteering experience in a social or healthcare setting. look closely at local charities, both big and small (i found volunteering work quite easily with a small local charity working with disabled children, and RNIB being a befriender to elderly blind people), and ofc any care homes.

i think at 17 you will be able to undertake clinical shadowing placements with no problems? i cant emphasise enough how useful a hospital placement can be both for gaining an insight into the profession and also boosting your application. my tips regarding this would be to 1) Find local consultants in a specialty you might be interested in, and contacting them directly by email. You can blanket email something general to many consultants (introduce yourself, describe your interest in medicine and desire for some shadowing experience), but if you personalise them slightly - for example by reading their recent publications (just the title/abstract!) and incorporating it into your email - it would greatly boost your chances. 2) apply as early as you can - after initial agreements with the consultants, my paperwork took several months to come through before I could start my placements!
    Thank you so much for this advice! I forgot to mention but I have also been volunteering at Havens Hospices which is my local hospice for elderly people and this is completely different to what I do at my dental placement because it gives me a different perspective of the health care industry and more insight into health care services that are closer to the patients than the hospital. I have applied to placements at my 2 local hospitals and I have even had the opportunity to meet some doctors and nurses in the cardiology dept. (a specialty that interests me very much) and they have just told me to wait until I turn 17 to get a hospital placement.

So hopefully things go well. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Continuing there wouldn't probably be that useful. When it comes to experience med schools are looking for commitment to medicine, experience of being around and caring for patients, and understanding of what working as a doctor is like. I think it'd be a much more valuable use of your time to get a long-term volunteering placement at a care home or something, and then apply for some shadowing experience at hospitals and GPs when you're older.
    Thank you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.