Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's something your parents still don't know about you? Watch

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    That like yourself, I do not believe in a religion anymore. That I am bisexual, that I am not as happy as I seem and underneath I am broken inside.
    Oh Rhythmi

The things we hide from our parents to stay alive

(Original post by saraxh)
    My family always finds out my secrets in the end. :shy2: I said I was going to a friend's house when I was actually going somewhere else.
    Well maybe you're not low-key enough :beard:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    My sexuality
    Which one are you? Are you planning on coming out?

ReputationRep:
    I'm agnostic

Many things
    Posting as anon because i know too many muslims who'd attack me from here for saying this.

That I'm losing my faith and even though i believe in god i don't agree with the religion....

My parents would end me if they found that out
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In the past, my low self-esteem made me do awful things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Oh Rhythmi

The things we hide from our parents to stay alive

Well maybe you're not low-key enough :beard:

Which one are you? Are you planning on coming out?
    I try to be I don't do things like that anymore because they think i'm sensible

They also think every guy they see me with is my boyfriend when i'm just friend's with them so I just go along with it :rofl:

My parents pretty much know nothing about me tbh.

That I've been diagnosed with moderate depression and mild anxiety

ReputationRep:
    That I am no longer religious.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I'm agnostic
    You been agnostic since i've known you or is this a recent thing?

Some things my parents know... My lack of religion for example, we openly chat about our beliefs but then again my dad's atheist and mum is not really christian. She wouldn't use the phrase atheist but she is really, just christian because 'it teaches good values'.

However my parents think i'm fairly straight-laced. Whereas i've done some questionable things haha and have taken drugs. Typical cool with alcohol but against everything else.

There's a perception of me from mums friends and people we know that would paint me as far more vanilla than i am. Quite amusing.
    When i look back on my youth i'll probably describe myself as 'a bit of a wildchild by the end'. Life's all about living it imo.
    Not that i'd ever chat to parents about it but i'm probably way more dominant and less vanilla than most would think i am (who knew me pre 18). She's gotta be sub

To most in here saying about religion, have confidence within yourself.
    Break free when you are financially independent and are old enough (say 19/20 plus) to leave home if it goes badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    You been agnostic since i've known you or is this a recent thing?

Some things my parents know... My lack of religion for example, we openly chat about our beliefs but then again my dad's atheist and mum is not really christian. She wouldn't use the phrase atheist but she is really, just christian because 'it teaches good values'.

However my parents think i'm fairly straight-laced. Whereas i've done some questionable things haha and have taken drugs. Typical cool with alcohol but against everything else.

There's a perception of me from mums friends and people we know that would paint me as far more vanilla than i am. Quite amusing.

To most in here saying about religion, have confidence within yourself.
    Break free when you are financially independent and are old enough (say 19/20 plus) to leave home if it goes badly.
    Recent thing. It was kind of on my mind when we started talking but a short while back I just realised that as lucky as I was to be born in a chilled out religion, there wasn't any solid evidence for God.

I have a serious long-term illness that I've had several major surgeries for over the past couple of years. My symptoms have returned since my last surgery and I've been trying different drugs that have so far all failed.

Haven't yet told my parents that I got a call from my doctor the other day saying my only option left is to go onto an unlicensed clinical trial drug before I have to resort to another major operation.

I feel like I should probably tell them I'm taking part in a pretty intense clinical trial but I can't really face their reaction/upset right now. Still numb from the conversation with the doc and can't process it in my head.

ReputationRep:
    Agnostic and that I live with my gf
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Recent thing. It was kind of on my mind when we started talking but a short while back I just realised that as lucky as I was to be born in a chilled out religion, there wasn't any solid evidence for God.
    Fair. I thought as much, I was sure you were still a believer when we started talking.
    There is no evidence, you're correct.

I've desperately tried to believe at certain points, being incredibly obtuse with 'what caused the singularity that caused the big bang which...' But that doesn't justify god.

Momentum is with science.

The main point would be though that there simply is not a true karma system (although i believe being nice to people and helping them out will maybe save me if i need them), no heaven or hell and no god(s) that will reward us.

Unfortunately our lost loved ones are gone forever.

But on the flipside, there's no pain when we die. Nobody has any clue what the future holds and i'll just going to enjoy every day i have on this earth to the best of my ability.

To steal a quote my mum put on my 21st birthday card:

'Don't take life too seriously. None of us are making it out of this alive'

Hahaha, it's great
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Agnostic and that I live with my gf
    (Original post by loveleest)
    That I am no longer religious.
    I'm agnostic
    Lol similar answers

Would you ever tell your parents? What would happen if they found out?

ReputationRep:
    They don't know that I use TSR.

They also told me not to "Netflix and chill" with my partner.

Ah, well... cough.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That I've had a tattoo since I was 14

(Original post by UWS)
      You can tell them it's a study forum, then they won't have a problem :yep:
      Haha yeah thats what I would say tbh :yep:
      • Very Important Poster
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimidPhoenix)
      They don't know that I use TSR.

They also told me not to "Netflix and chill" with my partner.

Ah, well... cough.
      What about Netflix and Chill by yourself? :mmm:

(Original post by Amefish)
      That I've had a tattoo since I was 14
      Where?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by UWS)
      What about Netflix and Chill by yourself? :mmm:
      Nope. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      Nothing I'd want TSR to know

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.