Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

City or Goldsmith for Politics and International Relations? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know they are not known for this course, but one these will be my insurance choice but I can't decide which one is better. Maybe City is at a better location, but I like Goldsmith's course content better. But, probably City has a better reputation.
    Which is better overall?

(Plus, City has International Politics not IR, but it's almost the same)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akalamago)
    I know they are not known for this course, but one these will be my insurance choice but I can't decide which one is better. Maybe City is at a better location, but I like Goldsmith's course content better. But, probably City has a better reputation.
    Which is better overall?

(Plus, City has International Politics not IR, but it's almost the same)
    If you prefer Goldsmiths course content more, go for Goldsmiths. At the end of the day reputation doesn't make you happy for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    If you prefer Goldsmiths course content more, go for Goldsmiths. At the end of the day reputation doesn't make you happy for 3 years.
    The problem is that Goldsmith have slightly higher conditions than City in their offer, and because of this, City will be my insurance choice - probably. Basically I was looking for reassurance that City is good enough in this department . But I guess there is no big difference between the two

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine there's much to choose between IR degrees at these two. Certainly you're right that neither is known for this course. It might, though, be worth considering what the two universities are known for.

The popular association with City is with Accounting and related white collar vocational courses; with Goldsmiths' it is Art and Design and Cultural Studies. That's going to have a bearing on the nature of the student body and I would bet it's as easy to tell apart students from these two on sight as from any two schools within the UoL. Who do you want to be sat with in the refectory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I can't imagine there's much to choose between IR degrees at these two. Certainly you're right that neither is known for this course. It might, though, be worth considering what the two universities are known for.

The popular association with City is with Accounting and related white collar vocational courses; with Goldsmiths' it is Art and Design and Cultural Studies. That's going to have a bearing on the nature of the student body and I would bet it's as easy to tell apart students from these two on sight as from any two schools within the UoL. Who do you want to be sat with in the refectory?
    I guess City would be better in my CV if I applied to a company because of the uni's business ties.
    Anyway, I was checking their Students' Union and while City has a Politics society, it had only ONE event in 2016 (according to its Facebook page). Goldsmith doesn't even have a Politics society, only a Labour one. Are societies this inactive usually?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.