Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently choosing my 5 Highers for next year and I am facing a bit of a dilemma.
    Should I choose to continue to Higher with Maths, or "crash" RMPS?
    I am looking to study law and French at uni.
    The other subjects I am sitting are English, Modern Studies, French and Spanish.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    You don't actually need higher maths, but in my opinion, if you did/are doing well at it at N5 consider taking it. It would be good to have to keep your subjects varied and show you're competent at a wide range of skills, whereas RMPS is a heavily essay based subject, similar to Mod Studs. At the end of the day, you can do either, it's up to you, I suggest you pick what you believe you will do best in and what you will enjoy the most!

ReputationRep:
    I was faced with this same decision at the start of this year. I have my Nat5 Maths and didn't particularly want to continue with it because I don't need Higher (I want to study French too), so it was either Higher Maths or 'crash' Higher RMPS. I just decided to go with RMPS and I'm glad, because I enjoy it.

RMPS is good if you want to go and study law also, because there's a section of the course about "Morality and Justice" which we are covering now; it talks about the aims of (criminal) punishment, the moral consequences of justice, capital punishment and religious views on justice. RMPS is very interesting and I recommend you try it.

@scottishguyy is right, RMPS is *very* heavily essay-based. It can be hard having to learn how to write four 10-mark essays and one 20-mark essay in the space of 2 hours and 15 mins, especially if this is your first year of studying RMPS. But if you don't mind essay writing then it's not so much a problem, just a case of good time management.

Do whatever you feel is right and I'm sure it will all work out!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.