Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently choosing my 5 Highers for next year and I am facing a bit of a dilemma.
    Should I choose to continue to Higher with Maths, or "crash" RMPS?
    I am looking to study law and French at uni.
    The other subjects I am sitting are English, Modern Studies, French and Spanish.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    You don't actually need higher maths, but in my opinion, if you did/are doing well at it at N5 consider taking it. It would be good to have to keep your subjects varied and show you're competent at a wide range of skills, whereas RMPS is a heavily essay based subject, similar to Mod Studs. At the end of the day, you can do either, it's up to you, I suggest you pick what you believe you will do best in and what you will enjoy the most!

ReputationRep:
    I was faced with this same decision at the start of this year. I have my Nat5 Maths and didn't particularly want to continue with it because I don't need Higher (I want to study French too), so it was either Higher Maths or 'crash' Higher RMPS. I just decided to go with RMPS and I'm glad, because I enjoy it.

RMPS is good if you want to go and study law also, because there's a section of the course about "Morality and Justice" which we are covering now; it talks about the aims of (criminal) punishment, the moral consequences of justice, capital punishment and religious views on justice. RMPS is very interesting and I recommend you try it.

@scottishguyy is right, RMPS is *very* heavily essay-based. It can be hard having to learn how to write four 10-mark essays and one 20-mark essay in the space of 2 hours and 15 mins, especially if this is your first year of studying RMPS. But if you don't mind essay writing then it's not so much a problem, just a case of good time management.

Do whatever you feel is right and I'm sure it will all work out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.