Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, In my personal statement I put that I'm doing an epq project. But in the offers I've gotten I haven't had epq as a grade required which might be because I didn't put it in the qualifications.

So now I'm wondering whether I should do it at all, we only have one advisory and we started the epq class very late so I haven't even started it yet plus it's the first time this teacher has done epq. I asked at an open day and the teacher said it isn't on your requirements but it's a good thing to say you've done something extra. I definitely agree with him but i'm also doing a coding project on the side so could that be seen as something extra aswell?

Sorry for the long paragraph but i'm just abit lost on what to do? Should I continue with it ? Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    Defintely continue on, I did my EPQ without any formal guidance at all and ended up with an A*. My teacher was useless, did nothing during his lessons they were simply a formality. If you are passionate about your project you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuhammadAS)
    Defintely continue on, I did my EPQ without any formal guidance at all and ended up with an A*. My teacher was useless, did nothing during his lessons they were simply a formality. If you are passionate about your project you can do it.
    Can you give me any tips on how to get an A*
    Also, how long did it take to complete the project?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestR)
    Can you give me any tips on how you got an A* and how much time did it take?
    So I did the EPQ for AQA, and essentially I knew that I needed to start quickly so I could be done quickly. So I started my research into my topic which was about Obesity going through journals, articles et cetera, compiling my sort of fact/statistical base, I conducted some research, just to show those skills, put them in graphs. I broke down my question, by answering it with smaller questions. My dissertation ended up being longer than 5000 - that is also a guidance, not a limit AQA confirmed this. If you are doing AQA you have this candidate sheet to fill out, do not neglect that!!! Not sure how it integrated to the marks, but showing you've actually been thinking about your project is a must & the need to be reflective. Keep a journal of what you could have improved on, when you did things et cetera and make sure you record this on your document, easier for someone to see what you have been doing. The presentation itself is important, do not underestimate its significance. Do all that and you will get an A* - especially if your writing skills are good

And I started in January, properly, finished in February or March can't remember. The lessons had 'started' in October/November however

ReputationRep:
    So I did the EPQ for AQA, and essentially I knew that I needed to start quickly so I could be done quickly. So I started my research into my topic which was about Obesity going through journals, articles et cetera, compiling my sort of fact/statistical base, I conducted some research, just to show those skills, put them in graphs. I broke down my question, by answering it with smaller questions. My dissertation ended up being longer than 5000 - that is also a guidance, not a limit AQA confirmed this. If you are doing AQA you have this candidate sheet to fill out, do not neglect that!!! Not sure how it integrated to the marks, but showing you've actually been thinking about your project is a must & the need to be reflective. Keep a journal of what you could have improved on, when you did things et cetera and make sure you record this on your document, easier for someone to see what you have been doing. The presentation itself is important, do not underestimate its significance. Do all that and you will get an A* - especially if your writing skills are good

And I started in January, properly, finished in February or March can't remember. The lessons had 'started' in October/November however
    This is really helpful, thanks alot for this I appreciate it bro

ReputationRep:

How did you structure it?

Was it word document?Or powerpoint slides?Or was it subdivided in chapters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blancosdos)
    How did you structure it?

Was it word document?Or powerpoint slides?Or was it subdivided in chapters?
    The dissertation was in a word document. Have a look at some research the way they structure it, I adopted that style Abstract, Intro, Q's, Conclusion, Critique of sources,Evaluation, Bibliography, Appendices & Glossary. Remember it is a research project rather than a long essay, so criticism of your research is a necessity.

& Presentation in powerpoint format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestR)
    This is really helpful, thanks alot for this I appreciate it bro
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I was doing the EPQ but it took up so much time I decided to drop it to focus more on my application and A levels.. since I wanted to showcase wider reading around different topics rather than just one.

I guess it depends on your time management. While it's good to show your interest in your subject it's not 100% necessary- esp since a lot of unis don't count towards it as a subject. Your coding project already perfectly demonstrates it, so why risk spreading your resources so thin?
    Then again if you can manage it it would definitely look good on your application

Spoiler:
    Show

Sources: My own experience haha. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestR)
    Hi, In my personal statement I put that I'm doing an epq project. But in the offers I've gotten I haven't had epq as a grade required which might be because I didn't put it in the qualifications.

So now I'm wondering whether I should do it at all, we only have one advisory and we started the epq class very late so I haven't even started it yet plus it's the first time this teacher has done epq. I asked at an open day and the teacher said it isn't on your requirements but it's a good thing to say you've done something extra. I definitely agree with him but i'm also doing a coding project on the side so could that be seen as something extra aswell?

Sorry for the long paragraph but i'm just abit lost on what to do? Should I continue with it ? Thanks alot
    If you genuinely want to continue carrying out independent research, feel free to. I carried on mine because I didn't have any work experience and believed it would look good on my Personal Statement as there are many skills you can obtain from it. Only one of my universities even considers it, which is probably when I should have dropped it, but I decided to see it through, because I'd come too far to have the satisfaction of dropping it- I think I would have ended up regretting my decision to drop it. EPQ does take up a LOT of your time, so be aware of this. I practically had no guidance on mine either as my supervisor was useless, so she never marked any of my work before the final document was handed in. I don't know if you know that there is also a presentation to do.; this might influence your decision about whether to continue or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should continue with it, if you didn't already decide to! I can't lie it can be quite difficult sometimes, but for me it has definitely helped me notice a weakness in my time management (lol of course) and has helped me in starting to improve that so I say just go for it, because it will benefit you, and will help get you used to writing longer essays

ReputationRep:
    So I've had loads of ideas.... but the latest 1 was... about decorating a bedroom (kinda like interior design). the process would be recorded in a scrap book... and apparently i'd have to do an instruction manual?? wud I also have to do 1000 word report??pls reply EPQ pros)::

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhala)
    So I've had loads of ideas.... but the latest 1 was... about decorating a bedroom (kinda like interior design). the process would be recorded in a scrap book... and apparently i'd have to do an instruction manual?? wud I also have to do 1000 word report??pls reply EPQ pros)::

Yeah you have to do a shorter report if you make an artefact!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.