The Student Room Group

IS it worth buying a stationary bike?

Hey, so im looking to lose weight however though i am not confident enough to go workout at the local gym so i am thinking of purchasing a stationary bike. Do these help with losing weight i must add i will be eating healthy and doing other exercises in order to maximize weight loss.
Has anyone got a bike like that has it helped?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, so im looking to lose weight however though i am not confident enough to go workout at the local gym so i am thinking of purchasing a stationary bike. Do these help with losing weight i must add i will be eating healthy and doing other exercises in order to maximize weight loss.

It'll help as much as the gym would if you can dedicate yourself to using it. It's pretty boring peddling away in your house heading nowhere though so you may end up giving up on it or not using it as much as you're hoping you will.
I suggest you find some form of exercise you will enjoy and want to do. Maybe go for real bike rides, or go swimming or see if there's classes or clubs near you for something fun.
If you're looking at doing it on top of something like that though and you think you will be dedicated to it, then some sort of indoor exercise machine could be great for you. Do look into the different types and what areas they focus on etc. Oh and if you're planning on doing a lot of exercise make sure your diet reflects that. You need a lot of fuel for a lot of exercise so make sure you don't starve yourself. Grab a banana or shake or something before workouts and make sure you're not burning all the calories you need to make it through the day. :smile:

Good luck with the weight loss and finding something that works well for you :smile:
Stationary bikes are pretty boring as said above, but I think that applies whether it's at home or at the gym. I have a stationary bike and go on my smartphone on it so it's not too bad. I keep meaning to set up my spare tv in front of it so I can watch netflix so if you can do that it might be ok.
Reply 3
Go jogging. This is inspirational.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0GctZDkYJVQ
Original post by Anonymous

Losing weight is 80% diet. Stationary bike is just a cardio machine and only helpful if you use it consistently. You could burn calories by walking, swimming , running etc. you could do it in front of the TV.

It has the advantage of convenience plus you can burn a fair few calories depending on duration and intensity. As said its boring though. better is going outside.
Couch to 5k/10k is free.

That said I use a stationary watt bike at the gym. Dont neglect resistance exercises/ weights.

Go and join MFP.

ps I wouldnt but one unless it was very good quality. so the gym is better for me.

Quick Reply

Latest