Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

General solution of first order ODE stuck on integrating Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on the following differential equation question, I have to solve it and find a general solution in explicit form:
    \displaystyle\frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt{(1-y^2)} \times sin(x)

My attempt is as follows, using the variable separable method:
    \displaystyle\frac{1}{(1-y^2)^\frac{1}{2}} \frac{dy}{dx} = sin(x)

\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{(1-y^2)^\frac{1}{2}} dy = \int sin(x) dx

Here is where I got stuck integrating the LHS. Am I correct in integrating by substitution with y = sinx?

I tried it but the answer I got looked wrong, I got upto (for LHS):
    \displaystyle\int sec^2(x) dy

I'm not sure whether my integration by trig substitution is the problem or if this type of ODE doesn't work for the variable separation method, any insights would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    For the substitution, you will need to introduce another variable, so y = \sin u is OK. Then recall that \frac{d}{du}\tan u = \sec^2 u.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayless)
    I'm stuck on the following differential equation question, I have to solve it and find a general solution in explicit form:
    \displaystyle\frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt{(1-y^2)} \times sin(x)

My attempt is as follows, using the variable separable method:
    \displaystyle\frac{1}{(1-y^2)^\frac{1}{2}} \frac{dy}{dx} = sin(x)

\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{(1-y^2)^\frac{1}{2}} dy = \int sin(x) dx

Here is where I got stuck integrating the LHS. Am I correct in integrating by substitution with y = sinx?

I tried it but the answer I got looked wrong, I got upto (for LHS):
    \displaystyle\int sec^2(x) dy

I'm not sure whether my integration by trig substitution is the problem or if this type of ODE doesn't work for the variable separation method, any insights would be appreciated.

That is the correct substitution, however it seems like you forgot to square root the denominator after the sub

Also remember that if y=sinx then dy/dx = cosx and so dy=cosx dx meaning the numerator and denominator should end up cancelling out

Or just use the formula book since it's a standard integral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    For the substitution, you will need to introduce another variable, so y = \sin u is OK. Then recall that \frac{d}{du}\tan u = \sec^2 u.
    with \displaystyle\int sec^2(x) dy
    I have to integrate with respect to y, and I have an x value so I imagined it as a constant and having a 1 infront of it so turning that into a y with the constant following, I'm not sure what to do here.
    I can see what you mean and I would do that if the integral was with respect to x, do you end up with my answer when you try the substitution method?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Photo 04-02-2017 18 51 07.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  485.3 KB
    I've attached my working here, did I substitute it right?

ReputationRep:
    No, this is what happens when you get too used to what "x" is meant to mean.

You want to substitute for dy in terms of dx, because your original integral is with respect to dy and you want to change it to dx. So dy = cos x dx.

Then \int \frac{1}{\cos x} \, \mathrm{d}y = \int \frac{1}{\cos x} \cdot \cos x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1 \, \mathrm{d}x

If I were you, I'd just avoid using x as a substitution variable and stick with u or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No, this is what happens when you get too used to what "x" is meant to mean.

You want to substitute for dy in terms of dx, because your original integral is with respect to dy and you want to change it to dx. So dy = cos x dx.

Then \int \frac{1}{\cos x} \, \mathrm{d}y = \int \frac{1}{\cos x} \cdot \cos x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int 1 \, \mathrm{d}x

If I were you, I'd just avoid using x as a substitution variable and stick with u or something...
    Ah, I see where I went wrong now thanks for pointing it out. You're right I'm too used to subbing the dy into the dx so I did it out of habit without thinking about it, I'll begin using u instead

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Photo 04-02-2017 18 51 07.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  485.3 KB
    use the fact that \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^{2}}}\text{d}y=\text{arcsin}(y  )+c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)
    Name:  Photo 04-02-2017 19 15 57.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  491.1 KB
    I'm trying that now and I got the general solution in explicit form but I'm having trouble verifying it, I've attached my working.
    I need the sqrt(1-y^2) to be sin(C-cosx) to verify it but I can only get it in terms of cos, am I doing it right?

if my working is unclear i can rewrite it clearly including full question, it's all scattered atm, the question is in the first post

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Photo 04-02-2017 19 15 57.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  491.1 KB
    I'm trying that now and I got the general solution in explicit form but I'm having trouble verifying it, I've attached my working.
    I need the sqrt(1-y^2) to be sin(C-cosx) to verify it but I can only get it in terms of cos, am I doing it right?

if my working is unclear i can rewrite it clearly including full question, it's all scattered atm, the question is in the first post
    Sorry for the late reply.

You differentiation is incorrect. The derivative of \sin(C-\cos(x)) is \sin x \times \cos(C-\cos(x)) and not \sin x \times \sin(C-\cos (x)) It should work then.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply.

You differentiation is incorrect. The derivative of \sin(C-\cos(x)) is \sin x \times \cos(C-\cos(x)) and not \sin x \times \sin(C-\cos (x)) It should work then.
    Ah I've got it now thank you,

ReputationRep:
    1/a ln(ax+b) is the solution for integration a fraction. When a is 1 and the numerator is one then the integral is just ln|f(x)|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    1/a ln(ax+b) is the solution for integration a fraction. When a is 1 and the numerator is one then the integral is just ln|f(x)|
    It's the general solution for integrating 1/(ax+b).

The integral here is not of that form.

ReputationRep:
    And why's that true...?

ReputationRep:
    Sayless You may be interested in this...

(Original post by Zacken)
    And why's that true...?
    Let y=\text{arcsin}(x)
    \Rightarrow x=\sin y
    \frac{dx}{dy}=\cos y
    Using \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dy}=1
    \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{1}{\cos y}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}y}}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}

ReputationRep:
    Sayless You may be interested in this...

Let y=\text{arcsin}(x)
    \Rightarrow x=\sin y
    \frac{dx}{dy}=\cos y
    Using \frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dy}=1
    \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{1}{\cos y}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}y}}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}
    Technically, this is correct. But (I'm sure) the point Zacken is trying to make here is that you should be able to find this result by substitution.

To be clear, instead of using substitution, you can do this by recognition (which is kind of what you've done, otherwise you'd have no reason to "start" with arcsin x), or by looking it up in the formula book, and these are all fine valid methods.

But if someone tries to do this by substitution, and they can't, then they need to brush up on your substitution methods; someone telling them "it's easy to verify that arcsin x works" is not doing them a service in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    with \displaystyle\int sec^2(x) dy
    I have to integrate with respect to y, and I have an x value so I imagined it as a constant and having a 1 infront of it so turning that into a y with the constant following, I'm not sure what to do here.
    I can see what you mean and I would do that if the integral was with respect to x, do you end up with my answer when you try the substitution method?
    You have made the substitution  y = \sin x and your intuition is correct. However, you will need to use another variable not aready present, say u, instead of x. Remember the goal here. You're solving the ODE to find y as a function of x. When you write  y = \sin x you're actually claiming that this is the solution of the ODE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    You have made the substitution  y = \sin x and your intuition is correct. However, you will need to use another variable not aready present, say u, instead of x. Remember the goal here. You're solving the ODE to find y as a function of x. When you write  y = \sin x you're actually claiming that this is the solution of the ODE!
    Ah I used x because the RHS was in terms of x so I thought it would be easier, it still works with x but for better presentation I should use u instead?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I used x because the RHS was in terms of x so I thought it would be easier, it still works with x but for better presentation I should use u instead?
    No, we use u instead of x because x is already present on the RHS. Never use x for substitutions if it is already present somewhere else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Technically, this is correct. But (I'm sure) the point Zacken is trying to make here is that you should be able to find this result by substitution.
    PRSOM

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.