Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I will be applying for student finance as soon as it opens this year to start in September. I am just going through and preparing documents etc now so I can get it all done ASAP, and I've come across an issue.

My mum, younger sister and I all live together and are not in contact with my father, my parents are technically married but they are not in contact. My mum does not receive the 25% discount on council tax as I am 19 and have part-time work, but am still in full-time education. How would I prove that I don't speak to my father? I can't get his income if I can't even contact him...

Is there any way that this can be proven without a divorce certificate? What I prove that he is not on the electoral role at my mum's house for example?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiems154)
    Hi,

I will be applying for student finance as soon as it opens this year to start in September. I am just going through and preparing documents etc now so I can get it all done ASAP, and I've come across an issue.

My mum, younger sister and I all live together and are not in contact with my father, my parents are technically married but they are not in contact. My mum does not receive the 25% discount on council tax as I am 19 and have part-time work, but am still in full-time education. How would I prove that I don't speak to my father? I can't get his income if I can't even contact him...

Is there any way that this can be proven without a divorce certificate? What I prove that he is not on the electoral role at my mum's house for example?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give!
    If you're in full time education then you should be exempt:https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay "18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education"

Get in touch with your council and college and get proof sent to them of your education status and they'll be able to reimburse you for the 25% of council tax you've paid and give you proof that your mum gets single person discount.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.