Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in yr 11 applying for sixth form and I am not sure if I should do a language. I am doing GCSE French and I am quite good at it. I am predicted an A for French. GCSE French is very easy, anyone can do it. Is French A level going to be too hard??? *CoNfUsEd*

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do as a job???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minhaz2001)
    I am in yr 11 applying for sixth form and I am not sure if I should do a language. I am doing GCSE French and I am quite good at it. I am predicted an A for French. GCSE French is very easy, anyone can do it. Is French A level going to be too hard??? *CoNfUsEd*
    If you feel like you would enjoy the idea of continuing to study French at A level, then go for it. Of course, A level French will be harder than GCSE but it develops on your existing knowledge and does become enjoyable. Least that's what I thought! I did AS French (back in 2011) and really enjoyed it because we learnt about topics which were more relevant to every day life etc.

ReputationRep:
    dont do it

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy it and are prepared to work hard yes.
    Its a big step up, as you really need to know the language rather than just remember bits, but its rewarding when you start making progress(but be prepared to feel rubbish at first!!) also the topics, at least for aqa, are much more interesting and relevant!!

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently doing AS spanish, and let me tell you its the most fun out of all my subjects but also requires the most time. I achieved A*'s in both gcse french and spanish and thought I would be able to glide through, but they're not kidding when they say the jump between gcse and AS is quite significant. I say definitely do it 100%, but only if you truly enjoy it and have the motivation to be constantly learning at a steady pace. DONT just do it because you think it'll be easy.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, I took French after getting full UMS at GCSE, moved to a grammar school and I am struggling so much and I am so far behind the rest of my class - if you really want to do it then you should be prepared to work hard af because it's difficult (although saying that, most people in my class seem to find it a breeze so idk, this is just my experience...):eek:

ReputationRep:
    I did Edexcel French A level at a grammar school and it was hard but I had the right teachers, I think. You just have to keep on top of everything, all A levels are going to be hard and you just have to put in the work

ReputationRep:
    Damn, some of you say to do it and some don't. I am really confused now

In GCSE, I got an A without even revising much, this is because my teacher has a fun way of teaching us which makes topics much more interesting. Are the exams in A level essay based or question and answer? I did some research and I got nothing.

I am planning on studying computing in uni and I need 3 A levels including maths to do it. I chose Maths, Computer Science and I need one more… do you have any suggestions in what else I can study if French is not good?

Thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:

In GCSE, I got an A without even revising much, this is because my teacher has a fun way of teaching us which makes topics much more interesting. Are the exams in A level essay based or question and answer? I did some research and I got nothing.

I am planning on studying computing in uni and I need 3 A levels including maths to do it. I chose Maths, Computer Science and I need one more… do you have any suggestions in what else I can study if French is not good?

Thanks for reading!
    do you know if you will have the same teacher?? I'm doing the new aqa exam for French and what we have done so far it is mostly questions like gcse but harder. Also there is an extra bit where you have to do translation. The topics I have done so far are technology, family, volunteering, and French heritage. We have also started reading a book which os something we didn't do in gcse, personally I think its more interesting!!
    not sure how French is relevant (saying this I'm doing maths at uni hopefully😂) but if you think you will enjoy it, do it. Most people I know doing subjects they didn't enjoy dropped them already!!

ReputationRep:

Thanks for reading!
    There are a number of different exams with different formats:
    There's an oral where you have to talk to the examiner and have a discussion/answer/ask questions about some of your topics
    There's an exam that's like the GCSE reading and listening but obviously a lot harder and a French -> English translation
    In the last exam you have to write 2 essays: one about the book you studied and one about the film you studied, then there's also an English -> French translation in that exam

Tbh it's the hardest A-Level I'm doing out of English, Philosophy, History and French but I'm the only one in my class that's struggling so much even though I got an A* at GCSE - so you might not find it as hard as I do. It will definitely require lots of work!!! I guess it's a bit like English GCSE but in French :/

Good luck and hope this helps!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.