ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Brilliant place.
    It's the best place in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Yes, what steel is better than Sheffield steel
    Japanese VG10.

German steel is good too. To be fair I'm talking about steel made for knives, rather than anything else :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Japanese VG10.

German steel is good too. To be fair I'm talking about steel made for knives, rather than anything else :P
    Their for knives. Sheffield makes the best steel for everything else

ReputationRep:
    Tbf Sheffield makes some pretty awesome pearl pocket knives...

ReputationRep:
    why doesn't sheffield make good steel for knives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Tbf Sheffield makes some pretty awesome pearl pocket knives...
    Yes they do. How did you know about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    why doesn't sheffield make good steel for knives?
    I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do. How did you know about it?
    I kinda like blades and Sheffield is the only place I've found that does pearly pocket knives that I like tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I kinda like blades and Sheffield is the only place I've found that does pearly pocket knives that I like tbh
    I also like the blades. I hate the owls. I'm a Barnsley fan

ReputationRep:
    What I find interesting about Sheffield is that it's so far south it almost isn't in Yorkshire, yet it seems to be the most thought of city when discussing the Yorkshire stereotype, which I find weird because the city is pretty much on most southern the border of the county, rather than the heart of it.

I'm from North Yorkshire and consider this to be 'real Yorkshire' (because it's the biggest part, has tons of utterly unspoiled countryside and is home to both of Yorkshire's national parks), yet most of the nation seem to still think 'Sheffield' first, which is part of south Yorkshire which is chronically urban to me!

Sheffield is so far from me that it pretty much feels like whole other region of the country, even though we're in the same county.

Those are my thoughts on Sheffield!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pessimisterious)
    What I find interesting about Sheffield is that it's so far south it almost isn't in Yorkshire, yet it seems to be the most thought of city when discussing the Yorkshire stereotype, which I find weird because the city is pretty much on most southern the border of the county, rather than the heart of it.

I'm from North Yorkshire and consider this to be 'real Yorkshire' (because it's the biggest part, has tons of utterly unspoiled countryside and is home to both of Yorkshire's national parks), yet most of the nation seem to still think 'Sheffield' first, which is part of south Yorkshire which is chronically urban to me!

Sheffield is so far from me that it pretty much feels like whole other region of the country, even though we're in the same county.

Those are my thoughts on Sheffield!
    South Yorkshire is way better than North Yorkshire. North Yorkshire is where all the rich people live.

ReputationRep:
    I like Sheffield. Lots to do and down to earth people.
    I have family from Chesterfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry68)
    I like Sheffield. Lots to do and down to earth people.
    I have family from Chesterfield.
    Don't tell Nirvana1989-1994, I secretly like Chesterfield.

ReputationRep:
    South Yorkshire is way better than North Yorkshire. North Yorkshire is where all the rich people live.
    Tut tut, stereotypes!

The amount of absolute bagheads, along with northern England's version of rural rednecks who live in the that flat void where the A1 pushes between the Dales and the Moors, is quite revealing.

Richest place I've seen in Yorkshire is Alwoodley in north Leeds. That's west Yorkshire.

Admittedly there are wealthy spots in N.Yorks, but there are in all places. Harrogate is the winner of the Yorkshire toffs award but that has plenty of rough spots too. It's a fairly divided town. I've felt more surrounded by wealth in the villages and towns dotting the countryside west of Leeds.

Also keep in mind, North Yorkshire (and therefore all of Yorkshire..)goes as far as the Tees Valley which includes Redcar, a known place of utter desolation which was only made much worse by the closure of its steel plant a year or two ago.

One of the best things about our county is its size, I think. Colossal space. No wonder Yorkshire is classified as a region of special cultural significance.

Anyway, sorry, I've gone off topic.

When I think of Sheffield generally I think - "South Yorkshire, miles away, apparently the most friendly city in the country, and it's still in Yorkshire so that's fantastic."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pessimisterious)
    Tut tut, stereotypes!

The amount of absolute bagheads, along with northern England's version of rural rednecks who live in the that flat void where the A1 pushes between the Dales and the Moors, is quite revealing.

Richest place I've seen in Yorkshire is Alwoodley in north Leeds. That's west Yorkshire.

Admittedly there are wealthy spots in N.Yorks, but there are in all places. Harrogate is the winner of the Yorkshire toffs award but that has plenty of rough spots too. It's a fairly divided town. I've felt more surrounded by wealth in the villages and towns dotting the countryside west of Leeds.

Also keep in mind, North Yorkshire (and therefore all of Yorkshire..)goes as far as the Tees Valley which includes Redcar, a known place of utter desolation which was only made much worse by the closure of its steel plant a year or two ago.

One of the best things about our county is its size, I think. Colossal space. No wonder Yorkshire is classified as a region of special cultural significance.

Anyway, sorry, I've gone off topic.

When I think of Sheffield generally I think - "South Yorkshire, miles away, apparently the most friendly city in the country, and it's still in Yorkshire so that's fantastic."
    Yeah, you're right, Yorkshire is huge. I thought Middlesborough was in County Durham.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's the best place in the world
    Definitely is!

Don't tell Nirvana1989-1994, I secretly like Chesterfield.
    No!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Definitely is!

No!
    Do you like Chesterfield
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Do you like Chesterfield
    Nah, boring place.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.