Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    27.43%
    Good
    36.57%
    OKAY. :bebored:
    25.14%
    Bad... :cry2:
    7.43%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    3.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    Attachment 647496why is d=r on this? Q3b jan 03
    if you draw it, you should be able to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    could you please explain it to me? i don't know how d=r as i know the c of mass has to lie within the hemisphere but why on the plane face?
    Let's say the solid lies with the cylinder horizontal. The object is in equilibrium as the end of the surface of the hemisphere touches the ground. The centre of mass must lie along the vertical from the reaction point e.g. the plane face. As a result d ends up being the same as the radius since the COM is at the plane face.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me on the centre of mass of a uniform llamina in the form of a sector of a circle, radius r and centre , which subtends an angle 2alpha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    I found them to be about the same as papers - guess it is different for everyone. I enjoyed paper D because it had a really nice gravitational problem on the moon and a good COM question that has came up before.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    When a particle is attached to the string rather than threaded the tension are different in each part of the string, right?

TrueDAN solC Major-fury

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRUser12345)
    When a particle is attached to the string rather than threaded the tension are different in each part of the string, right?

TrueDAN solC Major-fury
    That is correct, January 2003 Q2 had a brief 1 mark question about this which may be of some use!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRUser12345)

TrueDAN solC Major-fury
    Yup I think thats right - i can remember I got caught out by this once and so have applied that rule onwards and seems to have held true

ReputationRep:
    Think Im going to be signing off now - gonna just relax and then hopefully be able to get some sleep - all the best for tomorrow guys, lets go and smash it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Think Im going to be signing off now - gonna just relax and then hopefully be able to get some sleep - all the best for tomorrow guys, lets go and smash it!!
    Thanks and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    For Jan 10 question 5, why is the least tension in the string at v=0 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Major-fury)
    Could someone help me on the centre of mass of a uniform llamina in the form of a sector of a circle, radius r and centre , which subtends an angle 2alpha.
    There's an example on it in the book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    For Jan 10 question 5, why is the least tension in the string at v=0 ?
    The tension is least at the highest point reached by the particle and greatest at the lowest point. In this motion the string is taut throughout so the highest point would be when the speed of the particle v=0.

ReputationRep:
    When asked to prove centre of mass of a solid using integration, can I form an equation then use c4 methods or do I have to use the strips?

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial mark scheme for today's paper?
    (Original post by solC)
    Thought I might as well go ahead and create this thread

Edexcel past papers
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...rs/m3-edexcel/

Solomon papers
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...rs/m3-solomon/

Mechanics booklets from madasmaths
    http://madasmaths.com/archive_maths_...mechanics.html

Practice papers from crashMATHS
    http://crashmaths.com/a-level-practice-papers/
    Feel free to share any tips or ask questions

ReputationRep:
    I thought the exam was harder than some recent papers for sure. Not outrageous but certainly a few non-standard aspects.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty standard! Think grade boundaries will reflect this though. Managed to mess up the first question (did volume of revolution) and the COM question (forgot about Base of cylinder looool) but had enough time to sort these out. Hope it went okay for you all!

ReputationRep:
    What did you get for the time in the last question?

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was pretty standard with some abstract questions - incline plane calculus was unusual and so was c.o.m. LAst part of SHM required some thought too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .floyd.)
    What did you get for the time in the last question?
    1.02s
    SHM from 0.5m to -0.4m then +0.72s

ReputationRep:
    If anyone here did the IAL paper I would be happy to discuss. Also our exam had a 9 mark question from M2 (I don't think I can go into specifics rn) but can they do that? (It wasn't a general idea being used but a straight up question that you would expect in an M2 exam)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.