Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    27.43%
    Good
    36.57%
    OKAY. :bebored:
    25.14%
    Bad... :cry2:
    7.43%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    3.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    the c of mass of the shape had to line up with the final point of contact of the shape withe the plane. and drawing a good diagram you can see that tan(theta)=(C of M)/a and then the a's will cancel out and you just arctan both sides
    Surely is was 4a - c of mass as the distance given was from O and not the curved face?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l.chislett)
    Does anyone know if we get given error carried through marks. I did the correct method for part 7c but my value for w was wrong
    Same! Forgot to divided by m for my w^2. I assume we can still have the method mark if we list correct formula for part c. If you got an answer please tell me. Thx!

ReputationRep:
    If you miss a step of the method that's in the mark scheme but still get the final answer, do you still get full marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shinji7)
    In the vertical circle question i simply calculated v and stated v>0 at the top, instead of R>0. Anyone know how many marks I'd lose?
    Maybe two or three since the condition for staying in the circle is for the particle to experience a reaction throughout the circular path

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaArgonian)
    Surely is was 4a - c of mass as the distance given was from O and not the curved face?
    i can't remember entirely haha, was it not placed with o on the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    I have checked markschemes and not been able to come to a sensible conclusion. If i multiply the ares by density 'p' would this be considered an error, and if so how many marks would i lose, given that i did still get the right answer

im reffering to the centroid question btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reza.1)
    I have checked markschemes and not been able to come to a sensible conclusion. If i multiply the ares by density 'p' would this be considered an error, and if so how many marks would i lose, given that i did still get the right answer

im reffering to the centroid question btw
    I don't believe density p should not have been in any of your final answers. If you used it in your working and it cancelled out that's fine.

Did anyone else not realise we were given the formula for surface area of a sphere? I was unable to answer the question because of that, easy marks, must have gone down a boundary due to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    I don't believe density p should not have been in any of your final answers. If you used it in your working and it cancelled out that's fine.

Did anyone else not realise we were given the formula for surface area of a sphere? I was unable to answer the question because of that, easy marks, must have gone down a boundary due to that.
    yh i did end up canceling it in the first line of working out even. I just essentialy multiplied everything by it in the table then canceled it in the first line of working, still getting 25a/11 as required.

As to not being able to calculate the areas properly. I hear you, it was a slight slip that affected a lot of people unfortunately, which will be reflected in the boundaries so dont worry, however i think the attempt at the energy question was a lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    Man I ****ed up, I couldn't answer the whole of question 5 because I didn't know the formula for the surface area of a sphere only to realize after the test that it was in the formula book for C1 and then I couldn't answer part B and C for question 7 which was proving that the motion of particle P was simple harmonic motion. In total I think I lost about 21 marks so best case scenario I got a C with 54 marks worst case scenario probably got a D with 54 or less marks depending on the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m3isababe)
    these were my answers:
    1a)3/4

2a)33.6
    b).2

3a)4.52
    b)5.42

4a)25/11 a
    b)23.7

5a)show that
    b)show that
    c)3(ag)^0.5

6a)show that
    b)38.4
    c)6.53

7a)show that
    b)show that
    c)1.02
    Yes!!! I got exactly the same answers!!!

ReputationRep:
    i did the IAL M3 paper. i got 21.24 degrees for 7 b) does anyone know the correct answer.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here are my worked solutions. Literally the easiest M3 paper EVER.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfM3_June_2017_MA.1.pdf (621.8 KB, 69 views)
  2. File Type: pdfM3_June_2017_MA.2.pdf (838.3 KB, 66 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlainaJayde)
    I got the same thing for that question, I just called it the reaction force, so I don't know if you would loose any marks

(Original post by WhiteScythe)
    Well, the tension was 4mg which is greater than zero so that's right...

Oh ignore me I see what you mean - should've said normal reaction force instead of tension. Still harsh to remove more than one mark for that type of error.
    Maybe the examiners will believe that T = Reaction force if they don't see that I wrote tension

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdbsd)
    Cheers, seems like I got 68 marks which should be high B/low A

ReputationRep:
    In q6 when working out its velocity after the particle was released I forgot there was EPE in the string at the midpoint too, this was the only mistake I made. Can any kids keyed up on their mark schemes tell me roughly how many marks I'm looking at losing for that?

ReputationRep:
    I did COM of revolution for Q1, so does anyone know for sure whether or not I'll get 0 marks for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdbsd)
    Do you have solutions to 7b and c? I can't see them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookieraiderr77)
    Do you have solutions to 7b and c? I can't see them?
    I believe:
    Q7b. was that w=25/3
    7c. t = 1.02 s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awcampbell)
    In q6 when working out its velocity after the particle was released I forgot there was EPE in the string at the midpoint too, this was the only mistake I made. Can any kids keyed up on their mark schemes tell me roughly how many marks I'm looking at losing for that?
    Same. I'd like to know this too. I'm hoping it's not too many marks. The question was six marks, but even losing three can screw us over in M3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the999gamer)
    Same. I'd like to know this too. I'm hoping it's not too many marks. The question was six marks, but even losing three can screw us over in M3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In Q1 June 2015, there were 4 marks using an energy equation. If you only had one EPE term you got 0/4 on that part.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.