Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    27.43%
    Good
    36.57%
    OKAY. :bebored:
    25.14%
    Bad... :cry2:
    7.43%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    3.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Where did you get this from?

For 0<=x<=4 the acceleration is acting in the direction of x increasing. From this it wouldn't make sense for the velocity to be zero when x is 4. Past here the particles is decelerating because the acceleration is acting in the direction of x decreasing. Therefore the particle is going to come to rest at some point past x=4.
    I meant to type x=4, instead of a=4. Thanks for your help. I see it clearly now. I should probably draw a diagram in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamGates)
    I meant to type x=4, instead of a=4. Thanks for your help. I see it clearly now. I should probably draw a diagram in future.
    Oh right, I see.
    Yeah trying to visualising the situation is always helpful with these sort of questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Oh right, I see.
    Yeah trying to visualising the situation is always helpful with these sort of questions.
    Thanks again completely augmented Kinematics <3

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again completely augmented Kinematics <3
    In general does anyone know which modules we should have completed before M3:

I assume C3 C4 and M2.

But has anyone came across any questions applying FP2 concepts?

ReputationRep:
    In general does anyone know which modules we should have completed before M3:

I assume C3 C4 and M2.

But has anyone came across any questions applying FP2 concepts?
    No you won't need any FP2 for M3.
    All C1-C4 and M1-M2 knowledge will be assumed.

ReputationRep:
    Fluctuating around 65 marks a paper, not as refined as Id like to be atm - theres always sub-sections of a question or two that throw me off.
    Hows everyone feeling? Less than one month to go now :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Unlucky, are you planning on retaking?
    no i am in 3rd year uni now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)
    Nice, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, quick q
    if two springs are attached to a particle on a horizontal table, if the spring is smaller than its natural length it will compress and the tension will act away from particle? is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Going to try to learn the whole book today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Fluctuating around 65 marks a paper, not as refined as Id like to be atm - theres always sub-sections of a question or two that throw me off.
    indifferent. it is nice to have a module before break, but it would make more sense to do m2 first but w/e.

Are we guaranteed a question on chapter 1 btw.

Like fp2 it is quite predictable what will come up - but for m3 will we anticipate 6-7 questions inclusive of chapter 1.

(Original post by TSRUser12345)
    Going to try to learn the whole book today
    hf <3

ReputationRep:
    indifferent. it is nice to have a module before break, but it would make more sense to do m2 first but w/e.

Are we guaranteed a question on chapter 1 btw.

Like fp2 it is quite predictable what will come up - but for m3 will we anticipate 6-7 questions inclusive of chapter 1.

hf <3
    Im pretty sure that we will get atleast one question for chapter 1 - not sure if it is
    100% guaranteed, but not done a paper where one has not came up yet so..
    I presume the format is 1 question from each chapter and then 1 or 2 questions on whatever chapter(s) edexcel want - obviously that is quite ambiguous; I agree with you in that it is not as predictable as Fp2

ReputationRep:
    2. A closed container C consists of a thin uniform hollow hemispherical bowl of radius a, together with a lid. The lid is a thin uniform circular disc, also of radius a. The centre O of the disc coincides with the centre of the hemispherical bowl. The bowl and its lid are made of the same material. (a) Show that the centre of mass of C is at a distance a/3 from O. Helppp is from q2 june 2005 btw

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure that we will get atleast one question for chapter 1 - not sure if it is
    100% guaranteed, but not done a paper where one has not came up yet so..
    I presume the format is 1 question from each chapter and then 1 or 2 questions on whatever chapter(s) edexcel want - obviously that is quite ambiguous; I agree with you in that it is not as predictable as Fp2
    Thats quite accurate, and what I was thinking.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solC)

Can I ask you both, have you found any good online resources for Chapter 2.

Going over it again, and I am finding for questions like the worked examples I am making slight mistakes probably due to lack of complete understanding.

Ik exam solutions doesn't really do M3 :L

ReputationRep:

Going over it again, and I am finding for questions like the worked examples I am making slight mistakes probably due to lack of complete understanding.

The khan academy videos might help I have foudnd.

ReputationRep:

It's not an online resource but A2 AQA Physics textbook explains hookes law fairly well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRUser12345)
    It's not an online resource but A2 AQA Physics textbook explains hookes law fairly well.
    Thanks it is in my AS physics. I will try and seek that.

ReputationRep:

There are some notes on Physicsandmathstutor by a guy called Simon Baxter, I found them quite helpful for FP3 so they are probably quite helpful for M3 too.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...M3%20Notes.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain question 8 of Ex 5A to me please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.