The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Anyone done the textbook practise paper? I am stuck on Q2 but done the rest ok.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TrueDAN
Anyone done the textbook practise paper? I am stuck on Q2 but done the rest ok.

Send me the question by either taking a picture of it or typing it and I'll have a crack at it.
Original post by AndyTSimpson
Send me the question by either taking a picture of it or typing it and I'll have a crack at it.

I spotted my mistake; It is worth 9 marks - I well overcomplicated it, but I will let you have a go anyway :wink:

A light elastic spring has natural length 0.6m and modulus of elasticity 0.7N. The ends of the spring are attached to two fixed points P and Q where PQ is horizontal. A particle of mass 0.2kg is attached to the mid-point of the spring and hangs at rest in equilibrium 0.6m vertically below the midpoint PQ. Find the length PQ.
Original post by TrueDAN
I spotted my mistake; It is worth 9 marks - I well overcomplicated it, but I will let you have a go anyway :wink:

A light elastic spring has natural length 0.6m and modulus of elasticity 0.7N. The ends of the spring are attached to two fixed points P and Q where PQ is horizontal. A particle of mass 0.2kg is attached to the mid-point of the spring and hangs at rest in equilibrium 0.6m vertically below the midpoint PQ. Find the length PQ.

Just had a go at it, did you get PQ to equal 1.6m?
Original post by AndyTSimpson
Just had a go at it, did you get PQ to equal 1.6m?

Yup that's it! Nice one man
Reply 166
Almost through all the past papers and done a few Solomon papers, so will get all of those finished over the next two days. I think the Solomon papers are good at making sure you actually understand what you're doing rather than just being able to do the method, which is good for me. Chapter 5 involving angles are my least favourite thing though, my brain just shuts down on me.

I've self taught all of further maths and was just wondering if anyone has little tips their tutors might have mentioned? There might not be any, I just remember doing C3 and 4 last year there were a few things I might not have known if my tutors had not mentioned it.
Guys anyone have any predictions of what might come up? Also are there any hard questions/papers I should do for the exam? Any help is appreciated thxx
Original post by helpme:)
Guys anyone have any predictions of what might come up? Also are there any hard questions/papers I should do for the exam? Any help is appreciated thxx

June 2009 is solid. However, grade boundaries exceptionally low too.
I was doing Solomon Paper e and there was a question on Work Done and force and you had to integrate the resultant force to get the Work Done, is that something that should be known for the Edexcel exam because I don't remember it coming up on any past papers?
Original post by Bouncer 114
I was doing Solomon Paper e and there was a question on Work Done and force and you had to integrate the resultant force to get the Work Done, is that something that should be known for the Edexcel exam because I don't remember it coming up on any past papers?

This is a less elegant way, but I hope it doesn't use anything you aren't familiar with already.

Use
mv dv/dx = 5 + 4e^(−x)

treat it as a differential equation, separate variables etc and integrate using your preferred method, and then put in bounds between x=0 and x=1 to find change in V2 and thereby change in KE
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by helpme:)

Do the very last question Q6 (c) on June 2008.
Original post by goatygoat
This is a less elegant way, but I hope it doesn't use anything you aren't familiar with already.

Use
mv dv/dx = 5 + 4e^(−x)

treat it as a differential equation, separate variables etc and integrate using your preferred method, and then put in bounds between x=0 and x=1 to find change in V2 and thereby change in KE

Yeah I understand the mathematics behind it, just didn't realise that its on the M3 course
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Papers-Edexcel/June%202009%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf
is it possible for anyone to show a step by step solution to 6c I still don't quite understand it
Original post by saira.p
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Papers-Edexcel/June%202009%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf
is it possible for anyone to show a step by step solution to 6c I still don't quite understand it

hold on a minute
Original post by saira.p

I'm sorry it's not very well laid out, I did part b thinking it was going to be useful fro part c.
Reply 176
Do I need to know the centre of mass proof for a solid or a circular rod? I've seen the proof in June 12 for a lamina but for a solid only in the June 16 ial
Reply 177
Original post by TrueDAN
Redid that paper yesterday and I did not read the question fully and found the distance not the time - so I messed up on it twice - going to try and go through it.
Ok so we know acceleration = v dV/dX and in terms of time, is equal to dV/dT
The expression you derive is regarding acceleration, hence equate this to dV/dT.
and seperate the variables i.e T = Integral of (10000v/8000-v^3).dV sorry for my sloppy format. Now we know the intervals will be 4,6,8. Now substitute these 3 values of V into the function of V that is being integrated (see bold) and apply trapezium rule - sorry if I poorly explained it - it is not as bad as it appears, it is just spotting what to do!

How would you go about integrating that?
Original post by AAls
How would you go about integrating that?

You aren't actually integrating, you are just finding a rough approximation by using the trapezium rule.

Note- It can't be integrated with C4 techniques. Therefore, you cannot be expected to integrated it.
Original post by goatygoat
I'm sorry it's not very well laid out, I did part b thinking it was going to be useful fro part c.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending