The Student Room Group

When do I need to take the LNAT?

Hi!
I am thinking about applying to do law at Bristol and Birmingham and I have read you need to take the LNAT. I am currently in Year 12 so will be applying for Uni next academic year in September. When should I take the LNAT? Do I need to have a score in it to apply to my Unis? Thanks so much!
Hello!

I applied this year and in my experience, I had until January 20th to take the LNAT (unless you're applying for Oxford in which case it needs to be done before the 20th October). The date might be slightly different but it'll be around the same time.

You don't find out your score until sometime in February/March. Your unis will find out your score and will see your essay a couple of days after you have taken the test and it will influence your offer, so the higher the score the better.

There's a lot of freedom about when you do your LNAT! However, the sooner you do your LNAT, the sooner you'll start getting offers, but it's totally up to you.

Hope this was helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by papertown
Hello!

I applied this year and in my experience, I had until January 20th to take the LNAT (unless you're applying for Oxford in which case it needs to be done before the 20th October). The date might be slightly different but it'll be around the same time.

You don't find out your score until sometime in February/March. Your unis will find out your score and will see your essay a couple of days after you have taken the test and it will influence your offer, so the higher the score the better.

There's a lot of freedom about when you do your LNAT! However, the sooner you do your LNAT, the sooner you'll start getting offers, but it's totally up to you.

Hope this was helpful :smile:

Yes thank you so much! If you were me, when would you recommend taking it? i.e after as levels, summer holiday or September time? Thanks
Original post by robyn2000
Yes thank you so much! If you were me, when would you recommend taking it? i.e after as levels, summer holiday or September time? Thanks

Personally I did mine in Oct, about a week after submitting my UCAs :smile: It was to accompany my friend who applied for Oxford (which requires applicants to sit their LNAT before the 20th), but it felt good to do it and get it out of the way somehow. I guess prepare for it during summer? Or during half term. I squeezed in my LNAT revision during the last week of summer and a week running up to the exam, but I haven't heard back from KCL yet so I'm sorry that I can't advise you on anything further :/

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
The earlier you take it, the better. Just get it out of the way so it doesn't interfere with mock exams etc. You can't really revise for it and the longer you take to do it the more you'll fret about trying to.
I took mine at the end of October. I think this is a good time because it gives you a good couple of months to revise, but at the same time doesn't take up too much of your time and you get it out of the way relatively early, so you can start getting offers and revising for mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest