Turn on thread page Beta

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language? watch

ReputationRep:
    I speak English (1st language) and French (2nd language) so I predominately think in English, since I live in the uk, but if I'm speaking/reading/writing/listening in French I'll think in french (I don't translate it in my head consciously) and I've found if I stay in France for a long time & don't speak in English I'll start dreaming and constantly thinking in french.

I've been learning German for 5 years and Mandarin for a couple of months & I've found that when going over Mandarin in my head I sometimes think in German to replace words I don't know?? I'm nowhere near fluent in either tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielafshar)
    in the language like any other yeah
    So how many languages can you think in?

ReputationRep:
    I always seem to be thinking in English but can think in Urdu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basicallykaya)
    i hope bilingual people reply, i'm interested too
    Hey, bts fan!

ReputationRep:
    I speak 3 languages, English is my 2nd language. I think in English mostly and my 1st language too. A lot times they get mixed up in my brain lol I don't know if it makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    I speak Chinese and English...
    I think in Chinese when I speak it...Otherwise, English. But sometimes when I speak in Chinese, I find certain English words hard to translate to Chinese, then I will think in English and try to find an appropriate explanation,lol.
    Hope this answer your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fellowcat)
    I always seem to be thinking in English but can think in Urdu.
    What age did you learn both languages?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarZh2)
    I speak 3 languages, English is my 2nd language. I think in English mostly and my 1st language too. A lot times they get mixed up in my brain lol I don't know if it makes any sense.
    What is your first language?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.