Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I an idiot? In regards to BTEC / a levels Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Alright, firstly, I'm just going to just summarise a lot of things: I got my AS grades, B,B,B, but because of the school and the stress I opted for an easier option that was still a relatively good academic qualification.

I came to the conclusion that a majority said the BTEC level 3 in general was a good qualification (equivalent to that of A-level) I had only heard negative stuff about BTEC but listened to a variety of different opinions and statistics and it seemed like the best option.

Fast forward to now and it's a little too easy in my opinion, I'm doing BTEC level 3 Business and have received distinctions on all my work, today I checked out the UCAS points converter because I was surprised to see how many top universities take BTEC Business as a qualification, with a minimum of D/D/M (in York for example) while I was predicted D*/D*.

So I was receiving all distinctions - the 'equivalent' to a straight A* a level student; and I queried whether it was because:
    A) I was more suited to BTEC
    B) the college course I'm on handed them out waaaay to easily
    C) I was doing the wrong course

C is where my whole question comes into play, I was under the impression that I was doing the highest Business course there could be (BTEC) and at the end of it come out with results equivalent to that of an A-level, however, after extensive research it appears I'm doing a 90 credit diploma 2 year course instead of the extended diploma which is actually worth the most UCAS points.

I thought in regards to my current grades (D*/D*) that it would work like A-level where the first year the best I could get is two distinction* and the third year would be three distinction*

So am I doing an entirely separate course, and if so, be brutally honest how much of a waste of time is it?

I don't understand what the differences were and was under the impression the BTEC 3 Business was just the highest BTEC you could do, I didn't know there was a variety of different BTECS.

So my questions are:

.How pointless is the course I'm currently on? (be honest)
    .Whats the difference between a 90 credit diploma and an extended diploma
    .How do you get on an extended diploma course? (If it's not second year and I just misinterpreted it, I am screwed and then this whole thread becomes relevant).

I questioned it when I appeared to have more knowledge than my teachers who appeared to be handing out the 'equivalent' results to that of a top a-level student, I don't want to sound really rude, but I'm being brutally honest, I don't get how they would be able to dictate such an important qualification that's seen as good as the highest education at that age, left, right and centre to anybody who hands in really average work.
    Maybe it's the course or the teachers, hope I get the answer.

Thanks people

ReputationRep:
    Also on my course it says the 90 credit diploma is one year and the extended diploma is one year...

My friend who didn't do AS and got B'S and C's at GCSE got 3 results last year and not 2, and he's doing it again this year, why would they put me and another one of my friends who got relatively good AS grades (BCC) on a 90 credit course if it's not as difficult or as good as the extended?

ReputationRep:
    Or is one year the 90 credit diploma and the second year means its the extended diploma like I've just read? I am so confused

ReputationRep:
    You say that it is a year in 90 credit and a year in extended, that is worth 3 a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andomax)
    Or is one year the 90 credit diploma and the second year means its the extended diploma like I've just read? I am so confused

An extended diploma is worth 3 A-levels and is done within a duration of two years. The first year is called 90 credit which is worth 1 1/2 A-level and then the second year is another 90 credit/extended diploma and again you get 1 1/2 A level which totals to 3 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    It is quite easy to understand. In your 90 credit diploma you did 9 units each worth 10 credits. So if you do additional year where you also do 9 units each worth 10 credits then your qualification will be re certificated to Extended diploma because you have done 180 credits (18 units). In other words 90 credit diploma is worth half of Extended diploma which is 1.5 A levels

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.