Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need legal advice please😪 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am an enterprner and run my own event management website. My question is can I advertise other businesses with out their consent? Bear in mind I'm doing this for free. A lot of my clients ask if I know of businesses in related businesses. So I thought il put an entire directory on my website.

Please any law students can you come forward or any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop*)
    I am an enterprner and run my own event management website. My question is can I advertise other businesses with out their consent? Bear in mind I'm doing this for free. A lot of my clients ask if I know of businesses in related businesses. So I thought il put an entire directory on my website.

Please any law students can you come forward or any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Why would you want to advertise other businesses without their consent? If you're implying you're affiliated with them and you're not, they could sue you when they find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Why would you want to advertise other businesses without their consent? If you're implying you're affiliated with them and you're not, they could sue you when they find out.
    I'm not saying I'm affiliated with them. I'm simply wanting to give my clients their details so that I don't have to keep on answering the same question I.e. Do you know a good florist, do you know any good entertainment businesses etc

Am I allowed to put up details of other business I'm not affliated with so that clients who are looking for them can seek them out. Is that allowed?

ReputationRep:
    I am going to say no in that respect, it's almost suggesting you have a connection with them and associated. So any view of you and your business can reflect on them. You would have to have pretty clear disclaimers to say you are in no way associated with each other.

That is not strict legal advice however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedTeacher)
    I am going to say no in that respect, it's almost suggesting you have a connection with them and associated. So any view of you and your business can reflect on them. You would have to have pretty clear disclaimers to say you are in no way associated with each other.

That is not strict legal advice however.
    I'm not connected to them but I would be helping them get clients. I find the whole subject a bit confusing 🙄

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop*)
    I'm not connected to them but I would be helping them get clients. I find the whole subject a bit confusing 🙄
    I understand what you mean and no business won't want you to help them get clients but perhaps speak to them first? They want to know their image is being handled respectfully and within their core values, brand, image etc.

This is probably more about business ethics than law in some respects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.