Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hi so for a while ive had the following symptoms:
    shaking hands, excessive sweating, always get cold hands, highish blood pressure

ive been looking and im not sure what it could be, the shaking hands happens more in nervy situations and its affecting practical work at uni

can someone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    shaking hands, excessive sweating, always get cold hands, highish blood pressure

ive been looking and im not sure what it could be, the shaking hands happens more in nervy situations and its affecting practical work at uni

can someone help?
    your GP can help. book an appointment ASAP. This doesn't sound good...

ReputationRep:
    How high is high? Do you have your own monitor to know?

ReputationRep:
    Tone down on TSR and dank memes and you'll be good to go in no time.

(Original post by Sweetpeasw)
    your GP can help. book an appointment ASAP. This doesn't sound good...
    systolic in the 130's

ReputationRep:
    Mine is perfect if not under pressure due to a high red blood cell count and a low heart rate

ReputationRep:
    systolic in the 130's
    That's nowhere near high. An 'average' systolic is 120. Being in a situation you're not comfortable in is obviously going to raise it a little bit. 150+ is 'high'.

(Original post by Glassapple)
    That's nowhere near high. An 'average' systolic is 120. Being in a situation you're not comfortable in is obviously going to raise it a little bit. 150+ is 'high'.
    ah okay anyway im thinking it may be overactive thyroid? my hands shake in nervy situations

ReputationRep:

can someone help?
    High blood pressure is more than 140/90
    The diastolic ( bottom figure) is the one that is of most concern
    A chat with your gp can sort the other things
    Good luck

ReputationRep:

can someone help?
    The excessive sweating could be caused by nerves. Some people have a condition called hyperhidrosis, which essentially means excessive sweating and it's quite normal caused by hyperactive sweat glands. Use talc powder/driclor antiperspirant and avoid rubbing hand creams or oils directly in your palms.

The cold hands could be your normal body temperature. Your blood pressure (bp) depends on a number of factors tbh. Cut down your salt intake and improve your lifestyle e.g. eating a balanced diet, fruits and vegetables, no smoking/ alcohol etc then re-measure your bp again. However, the high bp could be your baseline too ie. What is normal for your body/ maybe you climbed stairs/did strenuous activity before measuring it, which can equally affect it.

About the shaky hands, try to be calm so as not to be nervous. Book an appointment with your GP, if worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    High blood pressure is more than 140/90
    The diastolic ( bottom figure) is the one that is of most concern
    A chat with your gp can sort the other things
    Good luck
    Actually, I disagree. Systolic is the most important as this is when the heart pumps blood around the body rather than diastolic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

can someone help?
    No point trying to work out what it is online cos you'll never know if you got the right answer. Go see your doctor. If you think it could be thyroid related that's a simple blood test to find out. Whatever it is they can run tests, find out what it is and treat it.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    Actually, I disagree. Systolic is the most important as this is when the heart pumps blood around the body rather than diastolic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the diastolic is high then the heart isn't getting enough rest when it's not pumping, as the resting pressure is higher. Most people worry about the diastolic more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    If the diastolic is high then the heart isn't getting enough rest when it's not pumping, as the resting pressure is higher. Most people worry about the diastolic more.
    Yes, I do know what occurs physiologically during systolic and diastolic blood pressure as I am a clinician. Actually, I work in clinical areas and can say with justification and experience (with more than 50 people, which is a credible sample size, if I do say so myself), that most people worry about their systolic blood pressure rather than their diastolic blood pressure.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.