Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So a few days ago, in my maths class I was doing a question on momentum which involved multiple collisions of 3 particle in which no external forces were acting. We were given the speed of a particle and the velocity of a particle before the collsion after the second collision, and were also give the information that the particle combined after the collision. So me having though I had a deep understanding of the problem, through the conservation of momentum assumed the conservation of momentum used the momentum before the collision, and after the multiple collisions (knowing it is now one particle with same velocity) calculated the final velocity of the particles.

My two maths teachers (another teacher of mine just happened to be there) argued that the method I used was wrong and that I had to separate the problem collsion by collision. I got the same both ways for which they argued it was just a coincidence the answer was the same. Who's in the right and wrong here? And help would be appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAdviser101)
    So a few days ago, in my maths class I was doing a question on momentum which involved multiple collisions or 3 particle in which no external forces were acting. We were given the speed of a particle and the velocity of a particle before the collsion after the second collision, and were also give the information that the particle combined after the collision. So me having though I had a deep understanding of the problem, through the conservation of momentum assumed the conservation of momentum used the momentum before the collision, and after the multiple collisions (knowing it is now one particle with same velocity) calculated the final velocity of the particles.

My two maths teachers (another teacher of mine just happened to be there) argued that the method I used was wrong and that I had to separate the problem collsion by collision. I got the same both ways for which they argued it was just a coincidence the answer was the same. Who's in the right and wrong here? And help would be appreciated.
    At first read it sounds like your method is okay but it's really hard to say unless you provide the question.

Are you able to post the question or come up with a question similar and show us your working?

ReputationRep:
    So if I've understood correctly:

1. You solved a problem which you haven't shown us using a method that you haven't shown us.

2. Your teachers solved the same problem using a different method that you haven't shown us.

3. You want us to tell you which method is correct.

Fair summary?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.