Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Coping with/Surviving Abuse from Childhood. Watch

Note: This post was posted as anonymous for safety and privacy reasons.

I was physically and emotionally by both of my parents for as long as I can remember. Even though I was lucky enough to move out of my home permanently and into uni (I'm currently a first year student), I still get flashbacks, such as the times my parents threatened to kill me, I get nightmares about meeting my parents again and I get their voices lingering in my head, stopping me from concentrating on the things I should be concentrating on.

I am also struggling to cope with the aftermath of leaving home and having to cope with not having a family, not having a permanent home and not having any income other than bursaries and student loans. Moving out of home when you have parents that will look after you when you go back is one thing, moving out of home permanently and cutting off all contact with your parents is another. In my case, not being independent is not an option.

I'm writing this post to see if there are any other people in a similar situation as me (though it doesn't have to be purely related to parental abuse) so that we can share our experiences, provide each other with help and support (I'm happy to give *virtual free hugs* :jumphug:). Feel free to post tips and advice on how to move on, or how to deal with an abusive relationship if you're still in one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was diagnosed with PTSD as a result of my childhood.
    I still sometimes struggle to deal with some of the things that have happened to me, but I have good days and bad days and have learnt how to deal with the bad days when they come.
    I found that receiving help and having CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) and EMDR (Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing) therapy really helped, and just generally challenging negative thoughts and feelings to make them positive was beneficial.
    Also having a mindset that your past does not in any way limit or define you as a person has really helped me.
    I moved out at the first opportunity I got and moved in with my boyfriend and his family and this year I'll be moving to a new city to start a degree.
    My goal is to get away from my family and shape my own future how I want it to be, and I'm not going to let it stop me from doing what I want.
    I personally define family to be those who's company is of value to me and actually makes me happy, its also those who are there for me and love me unconditionally, this doesn't necessarily have to be family.
    I've learnt to let go of the past a bit and I'm trying to teach myself that I dont need their approval anymore to be happy.
    And just be patient, years of abuse don't just go away in a matter of months, it'll take time and I know personally that it will be something I deal with for the rest of my life.
    Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    Oh god you poor thing I want to give you a hug.

I was abused physically as a child and I can say it's made me angrier about a lot of things. But at the same time, whilst it's made me fragile in some ways, it's made me even more hellbent to get through university myself. It's weird, childhood abuse. It can destroy some people but it just makes some people tougher or do both.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.