Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13, one of my best friends moved three hours away, my other best friend went to collage to retake year 12 and though we are very close we don't really talk over social media as we prefare to talk in person when we meet, but due to the distance that doesn't happen very often.

My sixthform is very small (about 30 people in my year) and I talk to my friends in the common room and it's okay but as soon as I come back home I have no one to talk to and nowhere to go out to. Even when talking to them at school I can't help but feel lonely. We are not so close to have a real deep conversation that can actually fulfil this need for connection that I have. I feel better when I see my best friends, but as I said before, that doesn't happen very often.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. Sometimes I feel like I won't get a chance to meet anyone that I can connect with. I will hopefully go to university in September but until then I don't really know what to do apart from sitting in my room and watching YouTube videos.

Anyone ever felt similar?

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes feel exactly the same, even though i have my friends close in theory... I'm just hard to please i guess and im not really happy with how they are. So i also spend time mostly online being bored. I dont think its thaaat bad. If you dont really have any chance to meet new people outside of school and you're still a bit okay with being alone, spend this time on exploring yourself, maybe learn something different from your classes, experiment with your mind a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnarofk)
    I sometimes feel exactly the same, even though i have my friends close in theory... I'm just hard to please i guess and im not really happy with how they are. So i also spend time mostly online being bored. I dont think its thaaat bad. If you dont really have any chance to meet new people outside of school and you're still a bit okay with being alone, spend this time on exploring yourself, maybe learn something different from your classes, experiment with your mind a bit
    Yeah that makes sense, thank you. But what do you mean "experiment with your mind"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raleks)
    I

Anyone ever felt similar?
    You are not alone :grouphugs:

I've felt like that ever since I moved away from Coventry after Primary school and left behind my childhood friends. I just fulfil my social needs by talking to people on facebook chat now.

Haven't been able to get the same level of friendship with anyone in real life as I did with my childhood friends. Only had it when I've had girlfriends. I don't go past the small talk stages with people nowadays. I'm fine with it though. Plenty of time left to make more friends. We're only young.

Yeah that makes sense, thank you. But what do you mean "experiment with your mind"?
    Get some new hobbies and try and occopy yourself with new things. Might find something fun you can be passionate about and it will replace your lonely feelings, because you have a new project to focus on. (painting, skating, gym, sports, volunteering, etc.)

Sitting around watching youtube videos doesn't help in the long run. It doesn't give you a very fulfilling life lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    You are not alone :grouphugs:

I've felt like that ever since I moved away from Coventry after Primary school and left behind my childhood friends. I just fulfil my social needs by talking to people on facebook chat now.

Haven't been able to get the same level of friendship with anyone in real life as I did with my childhood friends. Only had it when I've had girlfriends. I don't go past the small talk stages with people nowadays. I'm fine with it though. Plenty of time left to make more friends. We're only young.

Get some new hobbies and try and occopy yourself with new things. Might find something fun you can be passionate about and it will replace your lonely feelings, because you have a new project to focus on. (painting, skating, gym, sports, volunteering, etc.)

Sitting around watching youtube videos doesn't help in the long run. It doesn't give you a very fulfilling life lol.
    Thank you! It's nice to know that you are not the only one how ever feels like this. And yeah I can probabaly spend my free time doing something better than watching YouTube videos. 😅

ReputationRep:
    I'm in very much in the same situation. Whilst there are plenty of people, that I've tried to form friendships with I am always getting rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka_Specs)
    I'm in very much in the same situation. Whilst there are plenty of people, that I've tried to form friendships with I am always getting rejected.
    Is there anyone you get to hang out at school?

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone you get to hang out at school?
    I am doing an apprenticeship as I work at a small charity, rather than a FTSE100 for instance the scope for meeting people of the same age is limited.

Yes there are six other people, on my apprenticeship despite my attempts to reach out and Meetup as we all work nearby one another they've all ignored all of my communications.

You can DM if you want to talk

ReputationRep:

i meant trying some new things. pick up something you didn't consider interesting before and I don't necessarily mean physical activities (aaalthough that might actually help you meet new people). for me it was eastern philosophy, i just somehow stumbled across the topic and i found it actually fascinates me. so keep your mind open, YouTube is actually full of useful educational videos so I wouldn't necessarily give up on it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.