Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to learn french. I'd self teach through language learning apps and various other resources. I'd arrange a couple of hours of tuition at some point. The goal is conversational level French and being able to read and write French to a decent level.

Has anyone done this and achieved some success?

ReputationRep:
    It's called Taskbu and I also self-invented it.

Spoiler:
    Show

Sorry for the terrible joke. To answer your question, I plan to study Japanese.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on learning braille

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm learning German.
    I don't see why it's not possible, although, a few hours with a teacher could be beneficial. I bet the main issue would be with speaking. I use Duolingo which helps with pronunciation and watching tv in the language would be good as well.

ReputationRep:
    My dad speaks fluent French and he pretty much taught himself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm self-teaching Dutch thanks to DuoLingo.com

I don't know whether it counts as self-teaching though since you're getting help.

My mum is pretty much fluent French and taught herself.

ReputationRep:
    duolingo is the best site ever ngl.

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo only teaches you basic words, it's terrible for tenses and grammar. It's a good idea to watch tv shows/listen to music/read books in the language.

ReputationRep:
    As others have mentioned, Duolingo is excellent for acquiring the fundamental knowledge of a chosen language, whilst Memrise is a decent means of increasing vocabulary. However, an awesome tool to encourage information to remain in the long term memory, is AnkiWeb/Ankidroid Flashcards; if there are certain rules or phrases etc in your chosen language that you are struggling to recall, you can create your own flashcards to remember them. Furthermore, these flashcards can be synchronised between computers/devices, although if I recall - the flashcards can only be edited on desktop (ie laptop or desktop computer). On the other hand, you can use Anki decks that have been shared by other people, enabling you to acquire knowledge based on your chosen language - without having to create a vast amount of flashcards yourself. Moreover, the AnkiWeb/Ankidroid app utilises an SRS (spaced repetition system) method, which encourages the brain to store information learnt in the long term memory.

I am teaching myself Japanese and Swedish; I have found the above tools to be very useful in my studies, alongside textbooks.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I had some success with the Institut Francais but it was so expensive to keep up with the classes.
    I am attempting to self study but it's not going well. I really do need speaking practice too. I think most learners do personally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.