Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys/gals,

I'll give you a brief summary of my current position, and then move on to the dilemma playing out in my mind.

I am a stereotypical Oxbridge reject. I applied to Cambridge in October, but was pooled and subsequently rejected. I have offers for English from Durham, St Andrews, York, and an unconditional from Sussex. I like Durham (which would be my first choice from the four) but I feel I would be much happier at Oxford or Cambridge.

Teachers at my school are pretty unanimous in thinking I deserved a place at a Cambridge; with my English teachers saying I'm the best student they've ever taught. I don't want to sound entitled, but I feel, if I applied with achieve results of A*A*A*, I would have a very good chance at Oxbridge. And it's where I should really be studying.

I'd rather not live with a chip on my shoulder for the rest of my life; being a Durham graduate doesn't exactly give you as many options as an Oxford or Cambridge graduate has, particularly abroad.

In a gap year I could do an internship at IBM though a family connection, so it wouldn't be a wasted year. And a year isn't a long time in a lifetime of 80-90 years, right?

My parents both really like Durham, so it'd be a difficult point to argue, but deep down it's what I want.

I have AAAA at AS, and A*A*A* predicted; and I got as close as one can get without actually getting an offer (pooled and not fished). I think I missed the offer because of a bad (nervy) performance at interviews. What are your thoughts?

P.S. jneill I hope you see this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh the Byrony!)
    Hi guys/gals,

I'll give you a brief summary of my current position, and then move on to the dilemma playing out in my mind.

I am a stereotypical Oxbridge reject. I applied to Cambridge in October, but was pooled and subsequently rejected. I have offers for English from Durham, St Andrews, York, and an unconditional from Sussex. I like Durham (which would be my first choice from the four) but I feel I would be much happier at Oxford or Cambridge.

Teachers at my school are pretty unanimous in thinking I deserved a place at a Cambridge; with my English and History teachers saying I'm the best student they've ever taught. I don't want to sound entitled, but I feel, if I applied with achieve results of A*A*A*, I would have a very good chance at Oxbridge. And it's where I should really be studying.

I'd rather not live with a chip on my shoulder for the rest of my life; being a Durham graduate doesn't exactly give you as many options as an Oxford or Cambridge graduate has, particularly abroad.

In a gap year I could do an internship in the City of London though a family connection, so it wouldn't be a wasted year. And a year isn't a long time in a lifetime of 80-90 years, right?

My parents both really like Durham, so it'd be a difficult point to argue, but deep down it's what I want.

I have AAAA at AS, and A*A*A* predicted; and I got as close as one can get without actually getting an offer (pooled and not fished). What are your thoughts?
    You have made your mind up. Get your feedback to see where you were lacking and reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you'll be in a good position to go for it results-wise if you're still keen on the idea in August - although make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. I'm sure jneill and others will be right along soon to roll out the usual "there are other good universities" line, but the differences rather depend on what aspect you're looking at. If you feel as though you would be happier because of the smaller, collegiate feel, or the supervision system particularly appeals, by all means go ahead. But if career prospects is the main aim, don't bother. "Being a Durham graduate doesn't exactly give you as many options as an Oxford or Cambridge graduate has, particularly abroad" is just not true; Durham, like many other top universities, has excellent career prospects, and at the end of the day employers are going to care about far more than just the name of the institution on their CV. Anyone who goes to Cambridge or Oxford purely for the graduate prospects is going to be disappointed and I'd advise you to do some proper research into this to help inform your decision.

Taking a gap year: this really isn't an issue, the year will fly by as long as you fill it with activities rather than doing nothing. An internship is good if you can get it but don't worry if you can't or if it falls through, I've just done some volunteering and retail work and everything's been fine for me.

As for
    Is there really any point which needs to be argued with your parents? You're not a child anymore, going to university is a personal choice and it is (or rather, should be) ultimately a student's own decision on where to go and whether to take a gap year or not.

ReputationRep:
    reapply man

ReputationRep:
    x
    Hello, I took a gap year to reapply to oxford and got rejected again and if I could go back in time to august and just go to uni I wouldnt, I feel more "over it" this year than I did last year (although it still sucks, i wont deny that) and its quite nice to get a break from schooling and education (although im looking forward to going back), also as forecast said gap years fly in and you can explore other interests such as an instrument or a language, or as you said get an internship and gain experience.

So personally I think you should reapply, you will most likely get offers from those unis again and at worst youll go to uni one year later (which really means a 45 year career becomes a 44 year career, not really significant).

ReputationRep:
    Which college did you apply to?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I did, see below

(Original post by ageshallnot)
    You have made your mind up. Get your feedback to see where you were lacking and reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely agree.

And gap years are great too.

(Original post by Forecast)
    I'm sure jneill and others will be right along soon to roll out the usual "there are other good universities" line, but the differences rather depend on what aspect you're looking at.
    Hmmm...please don't presume.

Bearing in mind reapplicants are generally more successful than first time applicants I would never discourage a reapplicant, especially if they have thought it through like the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like you'll be in a good position to go for it results-wise if you're still keen on the idea in August - although make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. I'm sure jneill and others will be right along soon to roll out the usual "there are other good universities" line, but the differences rather depend on what aspect you're looking at. If you feel as though you would be happier because of the smaller, collegiate feel, or the supervision system particularly appeals, by all means go ahead. But if career prospects is the main aim, don't bother. "Being a Durham graduate doesn't exactly give you as many options as an Oxford or Cambridge graduate has, particularly abroad" is just not true; Durham, like many other top universities, has excellent career prospects, and at the end of the day employers are going to care about far more than just the name of the institution on their CV. Anyone who goes to Cambridge or Oxford purely for the graduate prospects is going to be disappointed and I'd advise you to do some proper research into this to help inform your decision.

Taking a gap year: this really isn't an issue, the year will fly by as long as you fill it with activities rather than doing nothing. An internship is good if you can get it but don't worry if you can't or if it falls through, I've just done some volunteering and retail work and everything's been fine for me.

As for
    Is there really any point which needs to be argued with your parents? You're not a child anymore, going to university is a personal choice and it is (or rather, should be) ultimately a student's own decision on where to go and whether to take a gap year or not.
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    reapply man
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Hello, I took a gap year to reapply to oxford and got rejected again and if I could go back in time to august and just go to uni I wouldnt, I feel more "over it" this year than I did last year (although it still sucks, i wont deny that) and its quite nice to get a break from schooling and education (although im looking forward to going back), also as forecast said gap years fly in and you can explore other interests such as an instrument or a language, or as you said get an internship and gain experience.

So personally I think you should reapply, you will most likely get offers from those unis again and at worst youll go to uni one year later (which really means a 45 year career becomes a 44 year career, not really significant).
    (Original post by jneill)
    I did, see below

Completely agree.

And gap years are great too.

Hmmm...please don't presume.

Bearing in mind reapplicants are generally more successful than first time applicants I would never discourage a reapplicant, especially if they have thought it through like the OP.

Thanks everyone. I've opened up and had a long chat with my parents. Thankfully, I've now come to a decision.

If I achieve my predicted grades of A*A*A*, then I'll reapply to Cambridge. If I get A*A*A, I may do; but it's less likely.

I'll only go for it if I feel I have a very good chance.

I must say, it's a relief. The Cambridge dream isn't necessarily over.

ReputationRep:
    If I achieve my predicted grades of A*A*A*, then I'll reapply to Cambridge. If I get A*A*A, I may do; but it's less likely.
    A*A*A is competitive for arts courses at Cambridge, just as a heads up (although A*A*A* is obviously better). That being said, English is more competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    A*A*A is competitive for arts courses at Cambridge, just as a heads up (although A*A*A* is obviously better). That being said, English is more competitive.
    I know of a successful reapplicant for English this year with A*A*A.

ReputationRep:
    I know of a successful reapplicant for English this year with A*A*A.
    Ah awesome! Yea, confirms that A*A*A is competitive so if they get those grades OP could still consider it.

ReputationRep:
    i hope that your dream comes true; if you end up at somewhere else then do not be bitter. 90% of the authors you study in an English degree did not go to Oxbridge either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.