Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Sixth Form Should I Choose From? Private/State? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I am currently in year 11 at a state school. I have already achieved 2 A*s at GCSE in previous years and I am predicted a further 10A*s (including 3 9's and an A* or A^) and an A.

My A level choices are Double Maths, Physics and Economics; the subjects that I am best at and enjoy the most. I will most probably want to study Maths or Economics at university (preferably Oxbridge)!

I have already applied to a (really remarkable) private sixth form. I have been offered an academic scholarship at this sixth form, which covers a certain percentage of the fee. The sixth form is really quite brilliant, as all of the departments seem to be better than that of the state sixth form that I am applying to.

On the other hand, I have applied to a state sixth form college, which is undoubtedly one of the best state sixth form colleges in the country and I will probably receive an offer given the entry requirements.

I realise that I would probably receive a better education at the private, but my question is whether going to a private sixth form would put me at a disadvantage when applying to Oxbridge compared to if I were to go to the state sixth form? Both sixth forms have a relatively large cohort of students that are accepted into Oxbridge every year.

ReputationRep:
    Going to a state school gives you more enrichment opportunities such as the nuffield research placements, university summer schools etc and given that it is a good school the teaching will not extremely differ from private.

Personally I'd go state for these reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    i know alot of people taht have succeeded buy gooing to state
    private also but not as much as state do either way both are going to one destination so why not take the fun way??
    huh?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it's not worth going to a private school for just two years. While there is certainly more 'enrichment', the actual outcome of the two years is down to you. Wherever you go.

Just go to the place where you'd feel happier.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who actually attends private sixth form I can attest for the fact that they do provide excellent teaching in small classes (more one to one study) and guidance with ucas. My sixth form also ran sessions for Oxbridge applications (I was not one myself- Oxbridge isn't for me). This seemed to be very useful as many of the teachers attended these Universities and the school itself had connections to them (we did a trip to Cambridge and were allowed to stay overnight in student accommodation off tour dates, and go into the separate collages without booking etc).

However as you said you may be at a slight disadvantage going to a private school as your grades will be compared to the teaching standards of the school. Also I have heard that if it is between a state school applicant or a private school applicant universities are inclined to choose the state school applicant. However saying that, when it boils down to it your success will be down to you. If you give a strong application and are a well rounded student (Oxbridge doesn't just accept you for your grades- they are a highly demanding bunch) how can they say no, regardless of the school you attend?

I think that attending private school sixth form is a great opportunity. Especially if you have a scholarship-which btw will look awesome on ur personal statement- it is an excellent chance to pursue high standard education.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    So did you decide?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.