Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia since 2011 and while I have had some really difficult times where I have been in hospital and at rock bottom and frankly just wanting to end it all recently I've been pretty good. I've been going out more and generally interacting with life in a way that I never used to.

Until the last say 4 weeks where I feel like I have been slipping. At the moment everything feels like so much hard work to the level where I don't even do basic things in life. I don't really feel depressed as such but I recognise the symptoms from the past where I was depressed so I guess that is what is going on. I also feel cut off from my medical team at the moment because my CPN is away at the moment and I feel like I can't leave the house.

I'm normally OK as long as I stay on my own and don't go out but the idea of being around other people terrifies me. I know there are a lot of people in a much worse situation than me but I'm finding it hard to cope at the moment even with simple things in life. I just feel so flat and drained that I just don't what is going on. Do you think I should call my psychiatrist and have a talk with him? I don't feel like I can leave the house to actually go and see him but maybe I could phone him up and have a chat?

My life just seems to be roller coaster that goes from highs to lows all the time. My mood is never stable and everyone just thinks I'm really unreliable but I can't help one minute feeling like I can do anything and the next minute feeling like my whole world is going to collapse and not being able to leave the house.

Anyway that is my ramble over and done with. If anyone could reply I'd be most grateful .
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McNuggetsAhoy)
    I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia since 2011 and while I have had some really difficult times where I have been in hospital and at rock bottom and frankly just wanting to end it all recently I've been pretty good. I've been going out more and generally interacting with life in a way that I never used to.

Until the last say 4 weeks where I feel like I have been slipping. At the moment everything feels like so much hard work to the level where I don't even do basic things in life. I don't really feel depressed as such but I recognise the symptoms from the past where I was depressed so I guess that is what is going on. I also feel cut off from my medical team at the moment because my CPN is away at the moment and I feel like I can't leave the house.

I'm normally OK as long as I stay on my own and don't go out but the idea of being around other people terrifies me. I know there are a lot of people in a much worse situation than me but I'm finding it hard to cope at the moment even with simple things in life. I just feel so flat and drained that I just don't what is going on. Do you think I should call my psychiatrist and have a talk with him? I don't feel like I can leave the house to actually go and see him but maybe I could phone him up and have a chat?

My life just seems to be roller coaster that goes from highs to lows all the time. My mood is never stable and everyone just thinks I'm really unreliable but I can't help one minute feeling like I can do anything and the next minute feeling like my whole world is going to collapse and not being able to leave the house.

Anyway that is my ramble over and done with. If anyone could reply I'd be most grateful .
    I'd definitely give your psychiatrist a call. Even just having a quick chat about things might help you realise and understand where to go next. Maybe you could see if you can book an appointment to have over the phone, even. It sounds like it would be worth doing :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I'd definitely give your psychiatrist a call. Even just having a quick chat about things might help you realise and understand where to go next. Maybe you could see if you can book an appointment to have over the phone, even. It sounds like it would be worth doing :hugs:
    Thank you for your reply . Yeah I think I will. Having a chat would be good at least that way I'll be able to get a second opinion on these things. I'd just like things to go back to normal really and see what happens. My psychiatrist the last time I saw him reduced my medication by 200mg and I'm just worried he'll put me up to what I was on before because I'm currently on two anti-psychotics and the dose is quite high on both so I'd like to move down to just taking one.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is schizophrenic. He's going through a lot of things like you, but he knows how to talk about it. I don't have any idea how hard it can be for you guys, really, but I think trying to talk to people you trust and love is helpful. He doesn't force himself to go out or anything, it can be long until you feel able to be around a lot of people but it's okay, you'll be fine.
    But yes, I think you should really find someone you trust and try to confide in them.

And you said you know people are going through a lot worse, etc. Don't compare yourself to others, there's no hierarchy in the way someone feels pain or depression. If you feel down, it's okay and normal, don't blame yourself for that.

Anyway, keep us posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indvolda)
    My boyfriend is schizophrenic. He's going through a lot of things like you, but he knows how to talk about it. I don't have any idea how hard it can be for you guys, really, but I think trying to talk to people you trust and love is helpful. He doesn't force himself to go out or anything, it can be long until you feel able to be around a lot of people but it's okay, you'll be fine.
    But yes, I think you should really find someone you trust and try to confide in them.

And you said you know people are going through a lot worse, etc. Don't compare yourself to others, there's no hierarchy in the way someone feels pain or depression. If you feel down, it's okay and normal, don't blame yourself for that.

Anyway, keep us posted
    Thanks . My CPN is currently on holiday at the moment but I'm waiting for someone to call me back who is taking over for her while she is away. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to them about all of this I'll see if I can get it sorted or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McNuggetsAhoy)
    Thanks . My CPN is currently on holiday at the moment but I'm waiting for someone to call me back who is taking over for her while she is away. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to them about all of this I'll see if I can get it sorted or not.
    I really hope you'll find a way to feel better Bye until next time
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Did they call you back in the end?

Would your psychiatrist not come round to your place if you're unable to leave the house? When I lived in the UK, I'd often meet my CPN at my place and occasionally when things were really bad the psychiatrist would come over too. If not, I agree with chelseadagg3r that you might be able to have a telephone consultation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Did they call you back in the end?

Would your psychiatrist not come round to your place if you're unable to leave the house? When I lived in the UK, I'd often meet my CPN at my place and occasionally when things were really bad the psychiatrist would come over too. If not, I agree with chelseadagg3r that you might be able to have a telephone consultation.
    Yeah they did ring back. Basically they told me to start going out again otherwise it'll just get worse. Fine in theory but it really is hard for me to get out at the moment. I feel so terrible about myself and I'm physically scared of being around other people at the moment.

I feel pretty much fine when I am on my own in the house though which probably makes them think I'm fine but then they haven't seen me when I am out of my comfort zone. Not sure what to do really. I guess I have to man up to it and go outside.

Edit: Thank you all for the replies by the way . I really appreciate it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.