Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My girlfriend may be checking herself in a mental institution. What do I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The other day I went round my girlfriends house a little annoyed at her because she had cancelled on me 4 times when we had plans to see each other. She then sat me down and told me she'd spooned another guy. After giving her some space she told me she's going to give herself two months in which she comes off of all her medication and if she doesn't feel even a little bit better she is going to quit EVERYTHING. Her relationship with me, university. EVERYTHING and check herself into a mental hospital. We have been together for five months and I always knew about her medical conditions but I thought we were handling it and I thought I was being helpful. We'd talked about being together forever so much that I thought it was going to happen. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlieaitken97)
    The other day I went round my girlfriends house a little annoyed at her because she had cancelled on me 4 times when we had plans to see each other. She then sat me down and told me she'd spooned another guy. After giving her some space she told me she's going to give herself two months in which she comes off of all her medication and if she doesn't feel even a little bit better she is going to quit EVERYTHING. Her relationship with me, university. EVERYTHING and check herself into a mental hospital. We have been together for five months and I always knew about her medical conditions but I thought we were handling it and I thought I was being helpful. We'd talked about being together forever so much that I thought it was going to happen. What do I do?
    She want's to come off her meds?

That is a step the wrong way! (Unless she's talked with a doctor and taken guidance.)
    Maybe the meds have been making here feel unstable and she might have just wanted another guy to talk with.
    Maybe she still want's to be with you just not quite now. I would just wait on it and talk with her not too much but just enough.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Sound advice

But I do think that she may be acting irrationally here; perhaps it's partly down to her existing condition - don't pressure her into doing anything she doesn't wanna do (it's all her choice in the end) but try to convince her to at least speak with her Doc about what she's feeling (guilt, remorse, etc).

Perhaps she's overreacting to one mistake she made and now is taking drastic measures to prove she can change and still be with you? But going off her med is a bad idea - let the Doc give her some advice (make sure she does go to see him; it's the best thing for her she may need some therapy to help her get over what she's feeling.) Let her know that you don't wanna make her feel terrible about one mistake she made, and that you forgive her (really mean it). Promise each other that you'll speak about things like this and any decisions you wanna make.

Hope things work out man
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Charlieaitken97)
    Its irrational to come off meds unless its in a controlled and monitored fashion. What happens if they are helping and this just makes it worse. No idea how she feels but your job imo is to give her support and uiance plus space.

Forget the bf thing or just emphasise the friend aspect and be supportive. the spooning is nothing, Its importnat she does anything under medical supervision. If you arent allowed to inform her family then contact one of the mental health charities like MIND for guidance and get her to do the same.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.