Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are teachers overshooting the new English grade boundaries? Watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    When the new grading system was put in place everyone seemed to be thrown into a frenzy, vehemently believing that we would all perform appallingly on this new grading system and the Grade 9 would be unattainable. Well that's at least how they've made it seem at my school.

    For example, in my mocks I got 64/80 on English Language Paper 1 which was placed at the bottom-end of a 7. Curious to what last year’s grade boundaries where, I had look at the English Language 216 Papers. To get an A* on the actual examination you had to get to get 55/80. This was weighted at 60% of the GSCE. The other 40% was made up of a Controlled Assessment which you needed 72/8 to get an A*. Yes, it was very high, but it was simple to get the higher marks if you just put a little of time and consideration into it. This raises the overall mark needed to get an A* to 61.8/80. Using the same calculations, to get a grade A you needed 54.8/80.

    Okay, now to work out how many people should be getting 9 . According to some documents released by Ofqual, roughly the top 20% of those who get 7, will achieve a 9 - (a 7 is aligned to a low grade A). Well, it’s not as simple as that, that roughly what it is but they use some sort of formula to alter it slightly. So, they calculated that if the grading system was in place last year 2.7% of the cohort who sat English Language examinations would get 9 as opposed to the 3.3% who got an A*. Now this only a minor cut of student achieving the highest grade, only about a fifth are not achieving the top grade anymore.
    The top 4/5 of who those got A* would probably only get 2 to 4 marks more an average. (Not too sure about this, but just this is sort of a shot in the dark with knowledge of the difference of marks from an A* to A in 2016).

    So, that puts a solid 9 around 65/80. But that’s going by last year’s standards. Last year they had 40% CA. So of course, this inflates the mark. Combined with the added difficulty of the new Paper 2, which requires analysis of older texts and writing task, that is for more challenging and less time given for the examination, I think it’s reasonable to say the a grade 9 may be 2 or 3 marks lower at least.

    So, this puts a Grade 9 between 62 – 63/ 80.
    Was this just a really long rant to prove that I deserved a higher grade? Maybe.

    But the point still stands. I think the uncertainty of how the new grading system is going to work is forcing a lot of teacher to anticipate much higher boundaries for precaution. This is also putting off all of of student from trying achieve higher grades in this core subject, being led to believe their time is better invested in other subject.

    Just a point of discussion, what do you’re English teacher thinks the grade boundaries are going to be?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h.rv)
    When the new grading system was put in place everyone seemed to be thrown into a frenzy, vehemently believing that we would all perform appallingly on this new grading system and the Grade 9 would be unattainable. Well that's at least how they've made it seem at my school.

    For example, in my mocks I got 64/80 on English Language Paper 1 which was placed at the bottom-end of a 7. Curious to what last year’s grade boundaries where, I had look at the English Language 216 Papers. To get an A* on the actual examination you had to get to get 55/80. This was weighted at 60% of the GSCE. The other 40% was made up of a Controlled Assessment which you needed 72/8 to get an A*. Yes, it was very high, but it was simple to get the higher marks if you just put a little of time and consideration into it. This raises the overall mark needed to get an A* to 61.8/80. Using the same calculations, to get a grade A you needed 54.8/80.

    Okay, now to work out how many people should be getting 9 . According to some documents released by Ofqual, roughly the top 20% of those who get 7, will achieve a 9 - (a 7 is aligned to a low grade A). Well, it’s not as simple as that, that roughly what it is but they use some sort of formula to alter it slightly. So, they calculated that if the grading system was in place last year 2.7% of the cohort who sat English Language examinations would get 9 as opposed to the 3.3% who got an A*. Now this only a minor cut of student achieving the highest grade, only about a fifth are not achieving the top grade anymore.
    The top 4/5 of who those got A* would probably only get 2 to 4 marks more an average. (Not too sure about this, but just this is sort of a shot in the dark with knowledge of the difference of marks from an A* to A in 2016).

    So, that puts a solid 9 around 65/80. But that’s going by last year’s standards. Last year they had 40% CA. So of course, this inflates the mark. Combined with the added difficulty of the new Paper 2, which requires analysis of older texts and writing task, that is for more challenging and less time given for the examination, I think it’s reasonable to say the a grade 9 may be 2 or 3 marks lower at least.

    So, this puts a Grade 9 between 62 – 63/ 80.
    Was this just a really long rant to prove that I deserved a higher grade? Maybe.

    But the point still stands. I think the uncertainty of how the new grading system is going to work is forcing a lot of teacher to anticipate much higher boundaries for precaution. This is also putting off all of of student from trying achieve higher grades in this core subject, being led to believe their time is better invested in other subject.

    Just a point of discussion, what do you’re English teacher thinks the grade boundaries are going to be?
    This isn't really answering your question sorry, but....

    Large majorities are achieving better grades in their exams than previous years hence the introduction of the new GCSEs. They're supposed to be harder with higher grade boundaries, that's the point. If you go on to do A-level English or any other subject that's in this new format you'll find the jump a lot smaller thanks to this. Just try your best, that's more than anyone could ask for.

    Good luck with everything
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    I know how ridiculously hard the English Language exam is as I sat it last year and only obtained 57/80. I got an A*.

    I completely agree with you, however. Definitely, getting 64/80 is an outstanding achievement and if you perform like that in the exam. I'm sure you'll get the A* as they can't 'steal' grades off of students who clearly have the ability and threshold for a grade.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    My school is even more bullsh*t
    40/80= 4
    55/80=5
    65/80=6
    70/80=7
    74/80=8
    78/80=9
    This has to be waaaay to high right?? Cause if it's not, it's all over for me 😂😭,
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaires aren't decided yet and won't be until ALL the papers are marked.

    We know that roughly the same proportion will get a 7+ as got a grade A last year; there is a lot of scaremongering in some schools.
    Offline

    4
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forre)
    My school is even more bullsh*t
    40/80= 4
    55/80=5
    65/80=6
    70/80=7
    74/80=8
    78/80=9
    This has to be waaaay to high right?? Cause if it's not, it's all over for me 😂😭,
    This is ridiculous...?!?
    My school was 75/80 = 9
    67/80 or something close to that = 8
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    a grade 9 isn't even on the grade boundaries, there's going to be 8-1, the top 5% of those getting a grade 8 will get a grade 9.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    I understand where you're coming from. I got 69/80 in my English Language mock and I got a 7. It was 70/80 for an 8. I think it's better if teachers make them higher now though, as then we'll only be pleasantly surprised when we get our actual results.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Thomas)
    This is ridiculous...?!?
    My school was 75/80 = 9
    67/80 or something close to that = 8
    Truss me it's soo stupid it pisses me off, I understand there's no grade boundaries to work with but still man, anyway I don't need to worry about the high grades anyway 😂 I'm awful at English
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

    Make your revision easier

    OMAM

    Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

    Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

    Notes

    Revision Hub

    All our revision materials in one place

    Love books

    Common grammar and vocabulary problems

    Get your questions asked and answered

    Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.