The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I am 20 years old, left education after my A/S
And passed everything in GCSE with good grades except English Language (I got a D).

My Current situation since leaving school is I have been in three what I would call pretty dead end jobs, I worked in Subway for 18 months, then worked as an office assistant for 6 months and am now currently working in retail/warehouse work which I have been doing f or a couple of months.

I have the opportunity to start a job as a prison officer at a young offenders institution, however I am scared and worried that starting this job which has a years Probation supposing I fail it will look terrible on my CV and I would struggle to get any other job.

What would people recommend?
Reply 1
Start a Business
quit
Take a punt and go for it. Do the job well and with integrity - you'll be fine.
Reply 4
It depends if you really want the prison officer job or not. If you do, I wouldn't worry about passing probation. If you work hard, you'll pass it. Besides, even if you don't, you don't have to tell your future employee that's why you left...

Relocation/wanting to peruse a new challenge/family commitments are all common reasons people give for changing their job.

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Why not starting your own business? These days it is important to be one step ahead. Having a job or business guarantee is every young person dream. What better way to invest in your future than starting your recruitment agency. You can set up your own recruitment agency today and make contacts with prospective employers in your own time and the rewards can be great!The video below illustrate how these works

[video]youtu.be/qaeh8jsWsHo[/video]
I would take the prisoner officer's job. You are worrying that you will fail the probation, but if you work hard, you will pass. After all, they did offer you the role so they something good!

If you do fail the probation (which I am sure you won't) you can still put it as experience gained on your CV. You don't have to write that you failed probation, just write about what you do and what skills you showed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending