Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    You're right Brown and Darling handled the recession brilliantly.
    Great people, I was actually more of a (dare I say it…) Blairite until I saw Gordon's EU ref. campaign and even though he stood on the opposite side of my choice he made strong and compelling arguments which actually led me to support remain throughout most the campaign, I only changed back in the last few weeks but had he been a main voice I think I would've probably stuck with remain.

Also had a chance to meet and talk with Darling and it wasn't until then that I realised the extent to how great these people were, the efforts they made and the success they had. Since researching and reading into their stories and having the chance to meet and talk with both of them I would definitely see myself as a brownite considering most of what I admired Tony for was actually Gordon's ideas… the state of the country today had he been elected in 2010 is something we'll never know but I'm almost certain it'd be much better even with the vote to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Great people, I was actually more of a (dare I say it…) Blairite until I saw Gordon's EU ref. campaign and even though he stood on the opposite side of my choice he made strong and compelling arguments which actually led me to support remain throughout most the campaign, I only changed back in the last few weeks but had he been a main voice I think I would've probably stuck with remain.

Also had a chance to meet and talk with Darling and it wasn't until then that I realised the extent to how great these people were, the efforts they made and the success they had. Since researching and reading into their stories and having the chance to meet and talk with both of them I would definitely see myself as a brownite considering most of what I admired Tony for was actually Gordon's ideas… the state of the country today had he been elected in 2010 is something we'll never know but I'm almost certain it'd be much better even with the vote to leave.
    I agree with you. I hated Blair though.

ReputationRep:
    the 90's
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It was highly known and possible (especially in 2005) that if they voted Blair they'd get Brown, it wasn't a shock like with May... everyone knew once Blair would go Brown would take over and is a strong reason why people stuck with labour. the thing is it wasn't just Blair that won the election it was New Labour and Brown was the mastermind behind the economic plan of it.

I don't think Gordons leadership Or time in office was a disaster, sure he was surrounded by disasters events but he led the country In a great way and showed the world leadership during the crisis (something he was praised for a lot), I don't think people realise just how bad the banking crisis could've been. He was the right man in the right place at the right time for sure, to be fair he didn't even lose 2010 since it resulted in a hung parliament that's how divided the country was at the time but they didn't completely abdon labour… Miliband and Corbyn led people to do that.
    Everyone did not know Blair intended to resign after winning the 2005 GE. Political pundits suspected so, but the general public did not. Blair won the election, Brown/New Labour did not.

Think what you like, but Brown's tenure as PM was disastrous (do you even remember it?). He was incredibly unpopular, even amongst students. The banking crisis happening when it did was bad luck, but that's not why Brown was unpopular - he lacked communication skills, he had no ideas, he made gaffes... but the real blow was the expenses scandal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    Tbh idk i was born in the 90s but it doesn't count as 'living in the 90s' and the naughties was eh.
    Exactly. It's one thing to think 'I would have liked to have been a teenager in X decade' (I feel like that about the 80s), and another to feel nostalgia for a decade you can barely remember/weren't actually born in at all. :lol:

I was a teenager in the 90s. It wasn't as amazing as people seem to think it was - 00s was easily a better decade for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Everyone did not know Blair intended to resign after winning the 2005 GE. Political pundits suspected so, but the general public did not. Blair won the election, Brown/New Labour did not.

Think what you like, but Brown's tenure as PM was disastrous (do you even remember it?). He was incredibly unpopular, even amongst students. The banking crisis happening when it did was bad luck, but that's not why Brown was unpopular - he lacked communication skills, he had no ideas, he made gaffes... but the real blow was the expenses scandal.
    Are you kidding? The Blair-Brown deal was anything but a secret. Blair said wouldn't run for a third term then did, that clearly showed he wasn't committed. When it was rumoured Blair wouldn't run for a third term they still led the polls and even when brown came they made some gains in polling. I'd agree with the expanses scandal, it was a disgrace. I think people liked the policies but with everything going on they just couldn't trust Labour. They still didn't trust the tories that only happened thanks to Ed, I think David Miliband or Harriet would've led them victory.

Brown might've lacked new ideas for the 2010 election he showed throughout his time he can make good ideas and was the best man for the economy, his 2010 campaign was heavily focused on recovery from the recession

ReputationRep:
    neither. The 10s.

ReputationRep:
    most definitely the 90s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Exactly. It's one thing to think 'I would have liked to have been a teenager in X decade' (I feel like that about the 80s), and another to feel nostalgia for a decade you can barely remember/weren't actually born in at all. :lol:

I was a teenager in the 90s. It wasn't as amazing as people seem to think it was - 00s was easily a better decade for me.
    Yeah I think people's nostalgia for the 90's(including my own) is really for the late 90's, not the long recession and the hangover from it in the early part of the decade.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding? The Blair-Brown deal was anything but a secret. Blair said wouldn't run for a third term then did, that clearly showed he wasn't committed. When it was rumoured Blair wouldn't run for a third term they still led the polls and even when brown came they made some gains in polling. I'd agree with the expanses scandal, it was a disgrace. I think people like the policies but with everything going on they just couldn't trust Labour. They still didn't trust the tories that only happened thanks to Ed, I think David Miliband or Harriet would've led them victory.
    No, I'm not kidding. Everyone knew that Blair and Brown had some kind of pact, but it was not generally known that Blair would resign in the middle of a third term. I don't want to keep repeating myself and I'm loath to discuss this with someone who was in primary school at the time. I think I know a little more about the public mood in 2005-10 than you.

ReputationRep:
    The big thing I remember about the 1990s was a sense of optimism in the public mood that hasn't been there since. The 1980s had been grim and hard and the 1990s began with a recession and high unemployment but from around 1993 onwards there was a general sense of things moving in the right direction. The economy was improving, social attitudes were becoming more liberal (it was only a few years earlier that the tabloids had been doing their "gay witchhunt" of celebrities and wanting to speculate on which ones were HIV positive).

It was an exciting time of cultural things as well in the UK - sport, music and film especially. Football really took off in the 1990s with the Premier League. The hooliganism reduced and football came more in to the mainstream national psyche, really after Italia '90 and Pavarotti and England making the semis etc. The Premier League slowly started to become a worldwide popular league whereas before that it had been well in the shadow of Serie A.

The UK music scene in the 1990s was fantastic and this is what really gave things a buzz. The acid house scene had started late 80s, this morphed in to the rave era of the early 1990s, and although I was too young to be involved with that, at school we were all aware of the music and it set off our imagination of how cool it would be to be older. Then there was Britpop which was popular around the world - there was a sense that British music and British culture was cool, and it had a regional element too with all sorts of bands from different cities giving those cities its own music scene to rally around.

Tony Blair really rode the mood by tapping in to the Cool Britannia thing, and actually so did Princess Diana too. In those days she was the most famous person in the world and a much bigger story than the other royals, she seemed like a normal person who happened to be a royal, but was also quite independent minded and a bit of a rebel, whilst also being very good at controlling her cool and glamorous image. When she died it was the biggest news story of the decade.

But generally in politics it was a time of optimistic politicians and the rise of the centre-left. There was none of the divisiveness and hate in modern politics where everyone is against immigrants or people have their own "groups" to moan about, Muslims, feminists, leftists, vegetarians, cyclists or whatever. Bill Clinton was a super charmer alpha male President who everyone seemed to like and turned a blind eye to his indiscretions which wouldn't have been so easy to get away with now (I think today, people would be less bothered about the 'cheating on his wife' thing, and more bothered about the President taking advantage of a young intern).

Now in saying all this, it's easy to slip in to nostalgia. Violent crime peaked in the UK in 1995. Although the "broken Britain" theme is talked about more these days, there was a certain scary aura about some of the big cities. I grew up in Manchester, and as an older teenager it was a scary place to be out and about. You would quite often hear stories of your mates being mugged and beaten up for their bikes or wallets and my mate got his stomach slashed open at a bus stop when he was 14 by another teenager.

Also the NHS was in a real mess. This was the other big thing that counted against the Tories in 1997. As the early 1990s went on the NHS became basically like the train service today, people had pretty much given up on it. If you needed an operation you were waiting 18 months to 3 years sometimes. Lots of people had stories about their elderly relatives spending their last days in indignity and being left to wait whilst the NHS suffered chronic shortages. Things did get better over the next decade although they are slipping backwards now.

And also - whilst students might long for the days of grants and no fees, back then university halls were absolute crap. There was a kind of cool thing about being a student living in poverty but students really did slum it in the 1990s. You got a grant and could apply for a loan but it meant having less money available than you get now in the loans era. It was also harder to get in university back then. These days A level results day is about "do I get in my firm/insurance or do I go in clearing?", back then it was "do I get my grades or do I have to rethink my life".

ReputationRep:
    90s was better.

Let's look at this from a Disney Animated Classics perspective:

90s
    The Rescuers Down Under
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Pocahontas
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan

00s
    Fantasia 2000
    Dinosaur
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Lilo & Stitch
    Treasure Planet
    Brother Bear
    Home on the Range
    Chicken Little
    Meet the Robinsons
    Bolt
    The Princess and the Frog

Now, look at that and tell me the 90s isn't the clear winner.

(Incidentally the 10s has been brilliant, despite it being abysmal for almost everything else).

Also from the 90s-------00s:

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ----VS---- Kim Kardashian
    Furbys ----VS---- Bratz
    Woolies popular ----VS---- Woolies closes down
    Kids clubs on holiday parks where you could go all day w/o your parents ----VS---- Twitter
    Dance mats ----VS---- The financial crisis
    The Spice Girls ----VS---- The Cheeky Girls
    Main life of Mega Drive ----VS---- Main life of Dreamcast (I know it was released in 99 but it was a Christmas thing, bringing it to the 00s really)

Need I go on...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    No, I'm not kidding. Everyone knew that Blair and Brown had some kind of pact, but it was not generally known that Blair would resign in the middle of a third term. I don't want to keep repeating myself and I'm loath to discuss this with someone who was in primary school at the time. I think I know a little more about the public mood in 2005-10 than you.
    Fair dos, many say things can only be told with time and judged through history. I wasn't only talking blindly out of what I saw and remember as a kid, I've done a lot of reading around the subject, read old articles, watched archived footage, read people's views and I discussed it with other people like teachers and older family members.

The public mood and media biases often tend to distort pictures as people will see 10 years down the line with today's events, of course we'll remember it through the media staged frenzy but Histroy will most likely tell a different story.

ReputationRep:
    idk, I was a baby then a small child, therefore I have no idea what I remember had little to do with the generation and more to do with wether or not we were going to the duckponds on that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    90s was better.

Let's look at this from a Disney Animated Classics perspective:

90s
    The Rescuers Down Under
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Pocahontas
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan

00s
    Fantasia 2000
    Dinosaur
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Lilo & Stitch
    Treasure Planet
    Brother Bear
    Home on the Range
    Chicken Little
    Meet the Robinsons
    Bolt
    The Princess and the Frog

Now, look at that and tell me the 90s isn't the clear winner.

(Incidentally the 10s has been brilliant, despite it being abysmal for almost everything else).

Also from the 90s-------00s:

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ----VS---- Kim Kardashian
    Furbys ----VS---- Bratz
    Woolies popular ----VS---- Woolies closes down
    Kids clubs on holiday parks where you could go all day w/o your parents ----VS---- Twitter
    Dance mats ----VS---- The financial crisis
    The Spice Girls ----VS---- The Cheeky Girls
    Main life of Mega Drive ----VS---- Main life of Dreamcast (I know it was released in 99 but it was a Christmas thing, bringing it to the 00s really)

Need I go on...?
    Fun fact:

Will Smith is now as old as Uncle Phil was was the Fresh Prince started.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Yeah I think people's nostalgia for the 90's(including my own) is really for the late 90's, not the long recession and the hangover from it in the early part of the decade.
    The only bit of the 90s I remember liking was the first half, haha. I hated the millennium end of it. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I forever wish I was stuck in 2000-2009, I just have so many happy memories from then!

ReputationRep:
    1990s, 00s had a financial crisis and massive surge in terrorism, it all went downhill from there...

The 90's as I was born in the 90's :cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RedManc)
      The 2000's were alreyt, the 2010's have been dreadful
      You do know the tory budget was used, Blair was also a neoliberal!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.