Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so, about 5 years ago I left sixth form early because I simply wasn't coping too well (social anxiety etc), and soon started working.

5 years later, I now find myself sat at work dreaming instead of studying what I am most passionate about, now that I've had the time to realise 'who I am'.

I want to apply for Psychology & Linguistics, but in my GCSEs I only got a B in Maths, taken a year early. I do have the option to retake my Maths GCSE (for a price), but I'm wondering if it will look dodgy to them if all my other GCSEs are 2009-2011, and randomly my Maths is, say, 2017? Would I be better sticking with my B that I earned a year early? It's also probably worth mentioning that I went to quite an appalling school, and so the overall awarded grades for my peers were low and this will most likely flag up on their Contextual Data system.

Also, if I were to retake, would I submit my grades to UCAS as a B in Maths 2010, and also a (hopefully) A* in Maths '2017', or would the second sitting override the first? And what about if the second were an IGCSE instead of simply a GCSE, could they both then be submitted?

Any help/advice/opinion would be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    OxFossil - thanks for your great help on my previous query! Perhaps you may have some advice regarding this? (Sorry to randomly tag you and drag you into this discussion - not really sure if that follows the correct etiquette for TSR, so I'm sorry if I seem rude. It's just I'm new and you seem very knowledgeable!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egooo)
    OxFossil - thanks for your great help on my previous query! Perhaps you may have some advice regarding this? (Sorry to randomly tag you and drag you into this discussion - not really sure if that follows the correct etiquette for TSR, so I'm sorry if I seem rude. It's just I'm new and you seem very knowledgeable!)
    Etiquette schmetiquette. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue on the correct procedure for UCAS forms, but no doubt there are lots of people here who do. A Level Maths isn't a requirement for Psychology, but statistics do feature heavily in the course. With a bigger-than-usual gap between your GCSEs and your application, I would think that it would help if you are able to provide some sort of recent evidence that you are competent in Maths. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    Etiquette schmetiquette. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue on the correct procedure for UCAS forms, but no doubt there are lots of people here who do. A Level Maths isn't a requirement for Psychology, but statistics do feature heavily in the course. With a bigger-than-usual gap between your GCSEs and your application, I would think that it would help if you are able to provide some sort of recent evidence that you are competent in Maths. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Thanks anyway
    I know that they say they usually look for candidates with A*/A at GCSE. I think you're right about it being a help if I provide recent evidence!

I've also managed to find some info on UCAS now, and it seems to suggest that you put in all of your qualifications whether retaken or not, so I should be able to keep my 'B one year early' on there too and avoid them thinking I perhaps got a D in Year 11 or the like!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egooo)
    Okay, so, about 5 years ago I left sixth form early because I simply wasn't coping too well (social anxiety etc), and soon started working.

Any help/advice/opinion would be very much appreciated!

Our thoughts:

Maths GCSE (Higher Level) is one of the more convenient exams to self-study and take as a private candidate because there is no coursework and it is a linear qualification.

Schools no longer enter as many students for Maths early (at 15) because of the downsides (some students end up with lower grades and also end up dropping Maths at too young an age).

Re-taking the qualification seems sensible to us and we can't see a downside, especially given your educational history.

We hope things are going better for you now and wish you well on returning to study as a mature candidate following a period of employment.

Brasenose Admissions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.