Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Painful ovaries, especially when lifting 1 leg up (NOT pregnant) Watch

Hi,
    I got a coil fitted back in December and was fine on it (except during periods) but recently I noticed quite strong pelvic pain at random occasions that is stronger than period cramps. I think it's in my ovaries area and it gets worse if I lift my leg, apply pressure or tense my belly.
    Any idea what that may be? I'm kinda worried I have some cyst or cancer (mum has tumours in her uterus and grandma had her uterus and oviaries removed due to cancer).
    I'm going to the GP next week, but I'm quite anxious about all that and would like some ideas earlier

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Are you bleeding during sex and is sex painful?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I got a coil fitted back in December and was fine on it (except during periods) but recently I noticed quite strong pelvic pain at random occasions that is stronger than period cramps. I think it's in my ovaries area and it gets worse if I lift my leg, apply pressure or tense my belly.
    Any idea what that may be? I'm kinda worried I have some cyst or cancer (mum has tumours in her uterus and grandma had her uterus and oviaries removed due to cancer).
    I'm going to the GP next week, but I'm quite anxious about all that and would like some ideas earlier

Thank you

(Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Are you bleeding during sex and is sex painful?
    I'm not bleeding but sometimes it is painful. Not in my vagina but certain positions cause me pain in the same pelvic region.

ReputationRep:
    It is most likely just a benign cyst on your ovary causing the pain as that is what I had and when I went to get an ultrasound there was a cyst on my ovary, however it was completely harmless. You should definitely get it checked out as soon as possible.

You might also have acute pelvic inflammatory disease which is caused by bacterial infection which spreads up the vagina, you'll just get given antibiotics to treat it.

Have you had your appendix taken out? If not, It could be that.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious when you see your GP about it.

I'm not bleeding but sometimes it is painful. Not in my vagina but certain positions cause me pain in the same pelvic region.

It is most likely just a benign cyst on your ovary causing the pain as that is what I had and when I went to get an ultrasound there was a cyst on my ovary, however it was completely harmless. You should definitely get it checked out as soon as possible.

You might also have acute pelvic inflammatory disease which is caused by bacterial infection which spreads up the vagina, you'll just get given antibiotics to treat it.

Have you had your appendix taken out? If not, It could be that.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious when you see your GP about it.
    Harmless or not, its painful and stops me from going swimming :/ (I went once, the pain got so bad I was scared I'll drown cause I couldnt move my legs).
    Yeah, coil increases your risk of pelvic inflammation, however I thought it would take longer to develop seeing as I only have it for about 1.5 months.
    And no, I still have my appendix, but the pain is on the other side. Its also rebound pain though

ReputationRep:
    Harmless or not, its painful and stops me from going swimming :/ (I went once, the pain got so bad I was scared I'll drown cause I couldnt move my legs).
    Yeah, coil increases your risk of pelvic inflammation, however I thought it would take longer to develop seeing as I only have it for about 1.5 months.
    And no, I still have my appendix, but the pain is on the other side. Its also rebound pain though
    If the pain is really that bad, the doctor will definitely remove the cyst for you through a simple surgery. Just relax, and I hope it's nothing too serious.

If the pain is really that bad, the doctor will definitely remove the cyst for you through a simple surgery. Just relax, and I hope it's nothing too serious.
    thank you .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.