Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer from Warwick to do management. I want to enter the markets side of banking, interested in Ficc research or strategy or as an analyst in asset management, hopefully in fixed income research.

I'm confident that I can get the grades but what can I do to improve my chances of getting a spring week? I don't know anyone in the industry so I can't get any work experience. I've some extracurriculars (prefect, member of school council, tutoring) but don't know I can stand out from the crowd when applying next year.

ReputationRep:
    tbh ficc strat/research is quite quanty & when I was on that desk, people came from econ/maths/engineering backgrounds

for sw in general just attend insight days etc.. and it can be alot of luck involved in ththe process
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kangsterf)
    I just got an offer from Warwick to do management. I want to enter the markets side of banking, interested in Ficc research or strategy or as an analyst in asset management, hopefully in fixed income research.

I'm confident that I can get the grades but what can I do to improve my chances of getting a spring week? I don't know anyone in the industry so I can't get any work experience. I've some extracurriculars (prefect, member of school council, tutoring) but don't know I can stand out from the crowd when applying next year.
    get in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get applying to insight days and make sure you can meet the grades for Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    tbh ficc strat/research is quite quanty & when I was on that desk, people came from econ/maths/engineering backgrounds

for sw in general just attend insight days etc.. and it can be alot of luck involved in ththe process

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    get in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can get in , I'm predicted 3A*s so I'm confident I can get AAA lol
    I meant what can I do now to improve my chances of getting into banking
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kangsterf)
    I can get in , I'm predicted 3A*s so I'm confident I can get AAA lol
    I meant what can I do now to improve my chances of getting into banking
    Fair.

Insight days as everyone else has said but tbh, I would just chill out for the rest of the year. Maybe find something to do in the summer but no need to stress.

I'd try to get in touch with people your age who are interested in IB as well (there are a few around this forum). One of the best things I've done is get in touch with like minded people.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't management not mathsy enough for IB? just curious
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    for IB? nah. for what OP wants to do, maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    for IB? nah. for what OP wants to do, maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't mean to be rude, but in the light of breaking into banking don't think management was the best of courses to do. Target universities are important, but so is the subject you study - perhaps when you get there you should try and transfer to a more appropriate course like economics or maths etc.

If you can't get onto insight days and stuff try out the Young Investment Bankers Programme, costs a bit but good on CV and really informative day. Also, check on student ladder, lots of opportunities on there - good luck with it all, more time I spend looking into finance the more competitive it seems.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgaelliott)
    Don't mean to be rude, but in the light of breaking into banking don't think management was the best of courses to do. Target universities are important, but so is the subject you study - perhaps when you get there you should try and transfer to a more appropriate course like economics or maths etc.

If you can't get onto insight days and stuff try out the Young Investment Bankers Programme, costs a bit but good on CV and really informative day. Also, check on student ladder, lots of opportunities on there - good luck with it all, more time I spend looking into finance the more competitive it seems.
    Yah, I'll tell my friends doing languages, music etc with summer offers for ibd that they should transfer to a different course. Definitely a wise decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

quite the contrary, in many cases subject diversity is encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    quite the contrary, in many cases subject diversity is encouraged.
    From my time with Goldman, CS and BlackRock - I've definitely got the impression you must study subjects that indicate a clear numerical ability. I'm not saying jobs are exclusive to those subjects, just they are very much favoured over music for example.

ReputationRep:

Lol no the Young Investment Bankers programme is just a great way to make money from people who are rich/think that they will suddenly differentiate themselves after doing this course. You don't learn many things which you can't get online already, they tell you about back office, front office, the different roles, what it takes to get in (target unis/white list), and how you can improve your application but you can do this all online really. it's better to try get into insight days (nomura or BAML), or do your own research online.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no the Young Investment Bankers programme is just a great way to make money from people who are rich/think that they will suddenly differentiate themselves after doing this course. You don't learn many things which you can't get online already, they tell you about back office, front office, the different roles, what it takes to get in (target unis/white list), and how you can improve your application but you can do this all online really. it's better to try get into insight days (nomura or BAML), or do your own research online.
    "if you can't get onto insight days and stuff", I would never say to do the YIBP over an insight day at Nomura or Merryl Lynch? However, I did still find the day good and there is no issue of your CV not being good enough to go onto the program, also helps your application to the insight days.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    From my time with Goldman, CS and BlackRock - I've definitely got the impression you must study subjects that indicate a clear numerical ability. I'm not saying jobs are exclusive to those subjects, just they are very much favoured over music for example.
    Again, this is false. Not much else to comment on the point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can get into IB with any degree, as long as it's from a good uni and you're good enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    You can get into IB with any degree, as long as it's from a good uni and you're good enough
    But surely a less maths based degree will make you less competitive compared to people who get 2:1 or 1st's in engineering, economics, maths, etc?

ReputationRep:
    "if you can't get onto insight days and stuff", I would never say to do the YIBP over an insight day at Nomura or Merryl Lynch? However, I did still find the day good and there is no issue of your CV not being good enough to go onto the program, also helps your application to the insight days.
    Sure but its like £150, its only worth it if you have nothing that good on your CV or you cant be bothered to research yourself - but I guess it depends which way you prefer to learn (yourself or listening) and your financial situation.

ReputationRep:
    no it's just that people who study those subjects such as economics/finance/maths are more likely to apply, hence numbers are skewed in favour of said subjects

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.