Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    But surely a less maths based degree will make you less competitive compared to people who get 2:1 or 1st's in engineering, economics, maths, etc?
    No, not at all. Why would it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    no it's just that people who study those subjects such as economics/finance/maths are more likely to apply, hence numbers are skewed in favour of said subjects
    From what I have been told you need to go to a target uni and study a subject with a mathematical basis. Due to the entry exams, it is possible to get into IB from some more diverse degrees, but typically only from top uni's. I went to lunch with a guy that did Japenese and is now at J P Morgan, but from what I have seen/heard there is an industry standard of subjects studied for reasons further than that is just what the cohort of applicants happened to have studied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgaelliott)
    From what I have been told you need to go to a target uni and study a subject with a mathematical basis. Due to the entry exams, it is possible to get into IB from some more diverse degrees, but typically only from top uni's. I went to lunch with a guy that did Japenese and is now at J P Morgan, but from what I have seen/heard there is an industry standard of subjects studied for reasons further than that is just what the cohort of applicants happened to have studied
    a target uni surely helps in getting through initial filters and networking, but this idea of maths heavy subects isn't necessirily true. so long as motivation/relevant competencies etc.. are shown, individuals have every chance to enter.

it isn't clear what the sentence highlighted in bold means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    But surely a less maths based degree will make you less competitive compared to people who get 2:1 or 1st's in engineering, economics, maths, etc?
    a maths degree to do basic arithmetic?

i'm pretty sure the most difficult mathematical thing i've used in IB was basic division or calculating % chages.

banks hire personality / fit / motivated people. so long as you pass those numerical tests & get through interviews, you're good. there is a high misconception on the maths rigour / difficulty of the job. so long as you understand GCSE eqv. maths are willing and able enough to learn finance/accounting/valuation/shareholder rights/corporate governance etc.. and whatever else, you good bruh. this is for IB, as ladbants is referring to.

where numerical ability comes to play is on the more exotic desks within markets, strat/derivs desks for instance (as alluded to by OP) require more mathematical competence, given fixed income and structured products are all byproducts of mathemaical models. why anyone would want to work here, idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    a maths degree to do basic arithmetic?

i'm pretty sure the most difficult mathematical thing i've used in IB was basic division or calculating % chages.

banks hire personality / fit / motivated people. so long as you pass those numerical tests & get through interviews, you're good. there is a high misconception on the maths rigour / difficulty of the job. so long as you understand GCSE eqv. maths are willing and able enough to learn finance/accounting/valuation/shareholder rights/corporate governance etc.. and whatever else, you good bruh. this is for IB, as ladbants is referring to.

where numerical ability comes to play is on the more exotic desks within markets, strat/derivs desks for instance (as alluded to by OP) require more mathematical competence, given fixed income and structured products are all byproducts of mathemaical models. why anyone would want to work here, idk
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    No, not at all. Why would it?
    Tbh I think I just had a big misconception about it ngl. But I guess its cleared up now and am not one of the ignorant ones anymore ahah!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.