Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello and thank you for taking out the time to read this futile introductory sentence.

As the title suggests, I am incredibly concerned about the link UKMT holds with Cambridge offers. I myself have only achieved 2 silver certificates in juniour rounds (both being second best in my school). I am currently in year 12 and the maths challenge has already happened for this year.

Frustratingly, I was unable to attend the challenge so, for fun, I attempted the paper at home informally though still under the usual constraints. I received 118/125 which is a Gold score and qualifies for the BMO1 Qualifier.

Of course, I received no certificate or any recognition because I didn't take the challenge formally. I really would like to study mathematics at Cambridge, hopefully at Trinity College (if not, then I'll be happy with pretty much any other college, but Trinity is an aspiration).

Will my maths challenge results that I tangibly have lower my chances or will I be flatly refused for what I have achieved in the UKMT? I am incredibly worried about this so reassurance or personal experiences would be much appreciated, but the truth is most important.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    Hello and thank you for taking out the time to read this futile introductory sentence.

As the title suggests, I am incredibly concerned about the link UKMT holds with Cambridge offers. I myself have only achieved 2 silver certificates in juniour rounds (both being second best in my school). I am currently in year 12 and the maths challenge has already happened for this year.

Frustratingly, I was unable to attend the challenge so, for fun, I attempted the paper at home informally though still under the usual constraints. I received 118/125 which is a Gold score and qualifies for the BMO1 Qualifier.

Of course, I received no certificate or any recognition because I didn't taker the challenge formally. I really would like to study mathematics, hopefully at Trinity College (if not, then I'll be happy with pretty much any other college, but Trinity is an aspiration).

Will my maths challenge results that I tangibly have lower my chances or will I qbe flatly refused for what I have achieved in the UKMT? I am incredibly worried about this so reassurance or personal experiences would be much appreciated, but the truth is most important.

Thank you.
    If I'm right in understanding, it's an extra-curricular thing (or super-curricular, same principle)? If so just do extremely well at GCSE and you should be fine. Or, apply for some similar competitions and try your hand at those (UKMT isn't the only one right)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    If I'm right in understanding, it's an extra-curricular thing (or super-curricular, same principle)? If so just do extremely well at GCSE and you should be fine. Or, apply for some similar competitions and try your hand at those (UKMT isn't the only one right)?
    I presume you mean A-Levels instead of GCSEs (I am in year 12 and have already done GCSEs; I got 10A*s and 1A - Goddamn Art!). In terms of A-Levels, I am doing Maths, Further Maths, the AEA and probably STEP I this year (a year earlier than normal). This leaves me with my EPQ, Additional Further Maths and English Lit next year (plus remaining STEP papers).

I am less concerned about the A-Levels (I know I will work unimaginably hard). I am more worried about UKMT. Your idea of other competitions seems a great idea however! Do you know of any others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)

Of course, I received no certificate or any recognition because I didn't take the challenge formally. I really would like to study mathematics at Cambridge, hopefully at Trinity College (if not, then I'll be happy with pretty much any other college, but Trinity is an aspiration).

Will my maths challenge results that I tangibly have lower my chances or will I be flatly refused for what I have achieved in the UKMT? I am incredibly worried about this so reassurance or personal experiences would be much appreciated, but the truth is most important.

Thank you.
    Since UKMT is not a prerequisite for university entry, it really isn't worth worrying about. Just apply to Trinity, and do well on their interview test.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4526996
    This thread might help you
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    :five:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.