Muslim women Watch

This discussion is closed.
Outrageous
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
religion is more than a book, itself intepreted and created by man. anyone who feels empowered or enlightened by means of reading and regurgitating a book is not a religious person in my eyes.
Well in this religion the book is it.

Why don't you read up on it's background rather than just holding some views which do not coincide with islam at all.

Its your views only.

And you, I would suggest, fail to udnerstand what religion is.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
religion is more than a book, itself intepreted and created by man. anyone who feels empowered or enlightened by means of reading and regurgitating a book is not a religious person in my eyes.
I agree that religion is more than just what is written in a book. It is about your feelings and each person has their own experiance. However I don't think that you can't be religious just because you take your inspiration from a religious text. People who come from religions which have a holy text still have the same experiance of an individual relationship with their god they just find help from a text. And just because someone quotes from that text to back up their point does not mean that they have no freedom of thought.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
I agree that religion is more than just what is written in a book. It is about your feelings and each person has their own experiance. However I don't think that you can't be religious just because you take your inspiration from a religious text.
lets take a dictionary definition of religion,

i) Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
ii) A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship

While one may refer to the scriptures or belief systems of a religion, it is ultimately a reference to the concept of a supernatural or higher power, the spiritual influence and personal guidance this offers us, in situations of moral confusion for example, and to a greater extent how we live and take decisions in everyday life. By referring solely to a text without appreciating or recognising the belief or existence of the influencing higher power on the mind and soul, is to render the text irrelevent. A Christian ultimately believes in the decisions he/she makes because there is a belief that this is also partly a decision and the will of God.

People who come from religions which have a holy text still have the same experiance of an individual relationship with their god they just find help from a text.
i dont dispute that.

Building on that above, a text is an interpretation of the word of your God, the individual relationship being thus of more value. Those who declare themselves to be religious, to have and to believe in this relationship, have as you pointed out, the freedom of thought to make their own interpretations and act on their own direct communication with their god. They should not bound by a man-made text.
Whatsmore, the personal actions they take can only be qualified in the eyes of God, not by reference to text. The actions of a society represent this application on a greater political level, but actions are still made and decisions taken by individuals, individuals who collectively may have an appaling record of Human Rights and collectively all claim to have this personal relationship with the same god and the same belief system. Only they and their god can refute that.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Religion is a very personal thing as I think that you agree and I think that you can follow a religion that is set down in a holy text and still have it be very personal. I am not quite sure what in my post you were disputing.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Religion is a very personal thing as I think that you agree and I think that you can follow a religion that is set down in a holy text and still have it be very personal. I am not quite sure what in my post you were disputing.
your intepretation of my standpoint.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by CurtainCall)
Every nation has its own culture and tradition. And i think they deserv the respect from other part of the world
Ah but in this way you are falling into a dangerous trap. Cultures are like competing species of an animal. In a similar way to how the American crayfish is taking over our waterways from British Crayfish, so too do cultures take over from other cultures. Cultures are born and die.
However, there's this stupid idea these days that all cultures have the same merit and deserve to continue. I personally think this is totally wrong. Culture is part of our evolution as a species. Though some of the cultural phases along the way may be more unpleasant than the last, we must keep moving forward in order to reach the end goal (whaever that may be). Desperately trying to keep old cultures alive ends up like having advanced vs primative humans.
J
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Ah but in this way you are falling into a dangerous trap. Cultures are like competing species of an animal. In a similar way to how the American crayfish is taking over our waterways from British Crayfish, so too do cultures take over from other cultures. Cultures are born and die.
However, there's this stupid idea these days that all cultures have the same merit and deserve to continue. I personally think this is totally wrong. Culture is part of our evolution as a species. Though some of the cultural phases along the way may be more unpleasant than the last, we must keep moving forward in order to reach the end goal (whaever that may be). Desperately trying to keep old cultures alive ends up like having advanced vs primative humans.
J
So you mean this is actually the end? How long will it take before chav culture destroys us all?
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
So you mean this is actually the end? How long will it take before chav culture destroys us all?
Its almost here! The cities have been overrun - now only the countryside remains as our last bastion of culture and etiquette.
giordano
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Outrageous)
Ciao Giardano,

]
Thanks Outrageous

I have no time now, but I will answer your post by tomorrow
All the best
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As long as the women are happy with their way of life, that's fine, but you hear so many stories about the terrible discrimination that occurs and I guess if people believe everything they hear/read, there are bound to be some misconceptions.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
As long as the women are happy with their way of life, that's fine,
Perhaps. There is the famous Stockholm Syndrome, where people who have been kidnapped identify with their kidnappers rather than their rescuers. In China girls had their feet bound so they became deformed. Eventually they learned to see their deformity as normality- this applies psychologically as much as physically. Another example is genital mutilation- mothers who have suffered it are much more eager to inflict it in their daughters.
but you hear so many stories about the terrible discrimination that occurs and I guess if people believe everything they hear/read, there are bound to be some misconceptions.
Especially if all they have read is an allegedly holy book.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads