Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Yes the Koran does state certain dress codes (can't be bothered to look up quotes). And yes I think its only liberating if the women herself is personally comfortable with it.
    Then we agree. Do you see this as Islam eroding personal liberties, and women's rights (to dress as they wish)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    If you choose to wear it yourself that is, but does Islam not instruct this?
    Yes Islam does instruct covering urself..but then again..there are different levels of Muslims in the world today...The very religious ppl cover completely while some just cover thier heads...some also don't cover at all but they might pray 5 times aday and carry out other commands...so eventually Allah will put it in thier head to cover themselves..
    It all depends on tauffeeq (willingness) to be a better muslim..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    Did u read my first long post sister?...
    sorry sister, I didn't. it's hard reading everything.
    You should all know that the Quran states clearly that men and women are equal. It only says that men in general are stronger than women, which we all know is true.(By the way I take tafsir- interpretating the quran- at school as a subject, not just flicking through it to find some smart answers)

ReputationRep:
    It is personal preference..but in Surah Ehzab it says to cover yourself completely for the most respect and u can show ur hands, feet and eyes...

But, if u only cover ur head..thats is also VERY good in the atmosphere we live in today...U shud always pray that Allah gives u more taqwa and u get better in ur religious practice...
    im not being funny...but youre like indian or whatever...how do yo uknow the koran if its ONLY in arabic. I dont think you should go around making things up, its got nothing to do with respect....dont go around following something just because it 'says'...use your head and rationalise things please, nothing is black and white, least of all religion. Who is going to respect you for covering yourself from head to toe...? the drunken hypocritical saudi neighbour, as infeckt said.

please education is the only thing that is going to help you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Islam does instruct covering urself..but then again..there are different levels of Muslims in the world today...The very religious ppl cover completely while some just cover thier heads...some also don't cover at all but they might pray 5 times aday and carry out other commands...so eventually Allah will put it in thier head to cover themselves..
    It all depends on tauffeeq (willingness) to be a better muslim..
    Where is the surah that instructs this, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    alchohol and under mind influencing drugs are one of the main reasons for woman bashing in the modern world , not religion

jus my two cents
    It seems that way. But nothing can really be enforced to stop it, Muslims arent suppsedly to drink but stil do. I dont drink myself cuz i fear it more than anything i guess.

In the end all religions are just all looking for something to believe and have faith that they are safe. I dont particulary believe in anything religion wise. I make my own way but i dont think people should critise others religions cuz everyone seems to have a common goal of belonging somewhere and theres nothing to say someone is right and someone else is wrong in what they believe to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)

Can someone help me though, when i was in Egypt some women didnt cover their faces, other did with only their eyes showing, some completely, and some are in black where as others are in coloured shawls, what is the differences between them? Is there one?
    Like I mentioned in the few earlier posts that it all depends on ur willingness...if u want to follow ur religion strictly, u'll follow the commands made by Allah strictly....
    I for one, cover completely with only my eyes, hands and feet showing...and feel very protected and respected in this attire..others have diff opinions but I went to a christian british girls school and there they respected whatever I did inorder to follow my religion..and I think everyone shud...
    Religious issues are best respected or else, many conflicts can rise which can affect u socially and otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    Then we agree. Do you see this as Islam eroding personal liberties, and women's rights (to dress as they wish)?
    No not really. Rose In Bloom gives a good explanation of this above. Its also important to remember that there are dress codes for men too.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that way. But nothing can really be enforced to stop it, Muslims arent suppsedly to drink but stil do. I dont drink myself cuz i fear it more than anything i guess.

In the end all religions are just all looking for something to believe and have faith that they are safe. I dont particulary believe in anything religion wise. I make my own way but i dont think people should critise others religions cuz everyone seems to have a common goal of belonging somewhere and theres nothing to say someone is right and someone else is wrong in what they believe to be true.
    Muslims that drink aren't really muslims IMO...they are just muslims by the name...Sharaab (drinking) is forbidden in MANY places in the quran..same goes for Pork...

ReputationRep:
    Where is the surah that instructs this, out of interest?
    i stumbled across this on the net Islamic Womens Dress Code . The veil was made by men just to 'opress' women, im not saying women who wear it are all opressed, but its not islamic...its just been imbedded into the culture.

ReputationRep:
    Like I mentioned in the few earlier posts that it all depends on ur willingness...if u want to follow ur religion strictly, u'll follow the commands made by Allah strictly....
    I for one, cover completely with only my eyes, hands and feet showing...and feel very protected and respected in this attire..others have diff opinions but I went to a christian british girls school and there they respected whatever I did inorder to follow my religion..and I think everyone shud...
    Religious issues are best respected or else, many conflicts can rise which can affect u socially and otherwise!
    Thankyou. Is there a reason why black is the most common colour used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    No not really. Rose In Bloom gives a good explanation of this above. Its also important to remember that there are dress codes for men too.
    Not really. If the religion is instructing people as an authority, then it is authoriatvely meddling. I don't see how this could be interpreted as anything other than an erosion of personal liberties.

What are the men's instructed dresscodes?

ReputationRep:
    Muslims that drink aren't really muslims IMO...they are just muslims by the name...Sharaab (drinking) is forbidden in MANY places in the quran..same goes for Pork...
    well thats just stupid...how can you deny some being a religion if they break one law. What if they follow all the codes, and then drink....ooooh big crime.

Like i said, if youre rational you cant go wrong with anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    im not being funny...but youre like indian or whatever...how do yo uknow the koran if its ONLY in arabic. I dont think you should go around making things up, its got nothing to do with respect....dont go around following something just because it 'says'...use your head and rationalise things please, nothing is black and white, least of all religion. Who is going to respect you for covering yourself from head to toe...? the drunken hypocritical saudi neighbour, as infeckt said.

please education is the only thing that is going to help you.
    I live in a Arab country..I was born and bought up here and my arabic is actually better than my urdu...

Also...The Quran has been translated into many languages so everyone can understand!
    True, education is essential....Infact Its very important in Islam...

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou. Is there a reason why black is the most common colour used?
    no particular reason apart from the fact that it doesn't attract attention....

ReputationRep:
    Not really. If the religion is instructing people as an authority, then it is authoriatvely meddling. I don't see how this could be interpreted as anything other than an erosion of personal liberties.

What are the men's instructed dresscodes?
    Like i said fishpaste...men dont want to impose control over themselves...so dont make up dress codes for themselves...

btw Womens Islamic Dress Code - here is what i found.

ReputationRep:
    i stumbled across this on the net Islamic Womens Dress Code . The veil was made by men just to 'opress' women, im not saying women who wear it are all opressed, but its not islamic...its just been imbedded into the culture.
    Hasnt everything? Everything gets embedded into different places, I'm sure there are plenty of things that we have embedded into our culture and the outside opinion is that they are 'Western' or 'Christian' things to do.

I will admit to not realising that some women feel protected by the shawls. i guess i couldnt imagine it being me, i dont think it would be in my nature. I repect it much more now. But we are all who we are. But theres always some people in every religion/culture that feels threatened or insecure in the life theyare living.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a Arab country..I was born and bought up here and my arabic is actually better than my urdu...

Also...The Quran has been translated into many languages so everyone can understand!
    True, education is essential....Infact Its very important in Islam...
    you bloody cover yourself from head to toe, in country that is as hot as an oven...where is the rationale and where is the 'educated decision' :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The viel is a part of Islam and it makes a Muslim woman feel secure and respected...like I mentioned earlier...u have to be one to actaully know what it feels like!...u can't interpret as an outsider...

BTW..fishpaste...the surah is Surah Ehzaab..I think its Ayat 56 (will check and confirm..)...they have used the word 'jalabeeb" which means covering urself...

ReputationRep:
    The viel is a part of Islam and it makes a Muslim woman feel secure and respected...like I mentioned earlier...u have to be one to actaully know what it feels like!...u can't interpret as an outsider...
    Respected by who and secure from who?!

BTW..fishpaste...the surah is Surah Ehzaab..I think its Ayat 56 (will check and confirm..)...they have used the word 'jalabeeb" which means covering urself...
    dude...stop making stuff ...seriously, it not very credible

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.