Muslim women Watch

This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
i stumbled across this on the net Islamic Womens Dress Code . The veil was made by men just to 'opress' women, im not saying women who wear it are all opressed, but its not islamic...its just been imbedded into the culture.
It's a tad wishy washy.

"They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary."

Take that for example, the article argues "that which is necessary" is a personal choice, but it's hard to envisage a situation where it's necessary to walk around with your midriff showing. It could always be argued that you could cover up that bit more, until you've covered up all but your eyes. So I still regard it as an invasion of personal liberties.

"O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful." 33:59

Again, the article says this is a dynamic instruction which will make sense to the reader. But again, you can go on lengthening forever. At very least until it covers your body.

The article is good, and raises a very valid point as to how instructions can mean different things depending on circumstance.
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Not really. If the religion is instructing people as an authority, then it is authoriatvely meddling. I don't see how this could be interpreted as anything other than an erosion of personal liberties.

What are the men's instructed dresscodes?
Men also have to cover their Satar...which is from the navel to the knees...
Women's satar is from head to toe...
We aren't to question why it is..Allah stated it in the Quran and we are to follow it without question...otherwise we are questioning Allah..that is the WORST thing u can possibly do being a muslim...
sherbert
Report 14 years ago
religion perverts society
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rose in Bloom)
Men also have to cover their Satar...which is from the navel to the knees...
Women's satar is from head to toe...
We aren't to question why it is..Allah stated it in the Quran and we are to follow it without question...otherwise we are questioning Allah..that is the WORST thing u can possibly do being a muslim...
Submission is silly and dangerous.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
It's a tad wishy washy.

"They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary."

Take that for example, the article argues "that which is necessary" is a personal choice, but it's hard to envisage a situation where it's necessary to walk around with your midriff showing. It could always be argued that you could cover up that bit more, until you've covered up all but your eyes. So I still regard it as an invasion of personal liberties.

"O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall LENGTHEN their garments. Thus, they will be recognized and avoid being insulted. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful." 33:59

Again, the article says this is a dynamic instruction which will make sense to the reader. But again, you can go on lengthening forever. At very least until it covers your body.

The article is good, and raises a very valid point as to how instructions can mean different things depending on circumstance.
Thats why i said, you must be rational and judge things for yourself...how can you 'punished' for a 'wrong' judgement? Judgements are never wrong, maybe to someone else, but they are in no position to judge you.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rose in Bloom)
why cant you question...its not like youre challenging. Have you never questioned or argued with your parents...? There is nothing wrong with questioning authority.
giordano
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vortex_199)
well said. As I'd like to say I've known more christian women that were beaten than muslims. And I know way more muslims. I simply dont know what you're talking about, adhsur.
OK, let's repeat it once more: Surah 4 (An-Nisa) of the Holy Quran advises husbands to beat up disobedient wives, if other corrective methods fail. You can check at http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html.

Of course not only Muslims beat wives, but the Quran is supposed to be the word of God!
Lil !*!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can I ask about swimming? What happens if a muslim woman wants to swim? Many seemed not to, just the husbands and children. Is this preference?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by giordano)
OK, let's repeat it once more: Surah 4 (An-Nisa) of the Holy Quran advises husbands to beat up disobedient wives, if other corrective methods fail. You can check at http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html.

Of course not only Muslims beat wives, but the Quran is supposed to be the word of God!
written by men :rolleyes: . I would never trust anything to do with religion written by men regarding women....infact anything, not just religion. Men suck... :mad: Why cant women dictate things onto them.
Lil !*!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
written by men :rolleyes: . I would never trust anything to do with religion written by men regarding women....infact anything, not just religion. Men suck... :mad: Why cant women dictate things onto them.
I dont understand why they are seen as dominant jst because they are physically stronger in most cases. I cant see any reason y. I ope one day everyone will be equal but i dont know if it will happen
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lil !*!)
I dont understand why they are seen as dominant jst because they are physically stronger in most cases. I cant see any reason y. I ope one day everyone will be equal but i dont know if it will happen
till then dont trust what a man says
giordano
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Good point. I would be interested by a feminist version of Islam, but unfortunately it is a central point in this religion that the time for prophecies is over.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by giordano)
Good point. I would be interested by a feminist version of Islam, but unfortunately it is a central point in this religion that the time for prophecies is over.
well its the same thing with all religions, christianity, judaism etc...
Lil !*!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyone have any ideas on the swimming thing? And in an airport when you ge searched? Does a muslim woman have to remove her garments in public?
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
why cant you question...its not like youre challenging. Have you never questioned or argued with your parents...? There is nothing wrong with questioning authority.
With an authority whose final argument- and often first argument- is "Do as I say or you'll burn in hell for ever." there is very good reason to question it.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
With an authority whose final argument- and often first argument- is "Do as I say or you'll nurn in hell for ever." there is very good reason to question it.
Like i said there is nothing wrong with questioning anything.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if muslim women hated the way they were treated then they wouldn't be muslim, as islam gives free will!
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vortex_199)
You should all know that the Quran states clearly that men and women are equal. It only says that men in general are stronger than women, which we all know is true.(By the way I take tafsir- interpretating the quran- at school as a subject, not just flicking through it to find some smart answers)
The koran doesn't actually say men and women are equal. Surah 4, so often quoted, is actually addressed, like the koran as a whole, to men. It is instructions to men on how they are to treat women and the behaviour they are to demand from women. 4:34 says that men are superior to women or have power over women, not merely that "men in general are stronger than women" and it says so completely without exception. The smart answers are the ones that it suits your teachers for you to learn.
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
if muslim women hated the way they were treated then they wouldn't be muslim, as islam gives free will!
It also gives men a great deal of power over women. One of the problems that muslim men in the west have is that their daughters aren't behaving in what the fathers think is a properly muslim way.
Lil !*!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Saf!)
I have a friend who is muslim and she has older brothers who are free to marry whoeer they like. But she will have to marry a muslim when she is older, how does that work?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads