Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I want to read History at Cambridge and trying to decide what college (I am between St Johns and Trinity)
    I am concerned about the 3rd general interview at St Johns (2 is stressful enough!) as am not sure how it is different to the 2 academic interviews and what type of things they ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicangel)
    Hi!

I want to read History at Cambridge and trying to decide what college (I am between St Johns and Trinity)
    I am concerned about the 3rd general interview at St Johns (2 is stressful enough!) as am not sure how it is different to the 2 academic interviews and what type of things they ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Don't focus too much on the admissions procedures. Apply to the college you think you will prefer to be at for 3+ years.

Although keeping in mind you may get pooled elsewhere anyway.

That said, a "general" interview is not really as important as the academic interviews.

ReputationRep:
    From what I know about general interviews they basically talk about your personal statement, in particular your special interests and personal study/reading within your subject.
    You might decide you'd love/hate to talk about your personal statement for 30mins, but unless you've told some outright lies in your statement I would strongly recommend you follow jneil's advice and choose based on which you like more.

ReputationRep:
    I had three interviews this year, general interview is actually really pleasant. It's like a friendly chat about your hobbies, your interests and why the uni and course interests you!

If you really like johns, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Don't focus too much on the admissions procedures. Apply to the college you think you will prefer to be at for 3+ years.

Although keeping in mind you may get pooled elsewhere anyway.

That said, a "general" interview is not really as important as the academic interviews.
    Thank you so much! really appreciate the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GydeonMylls)
    From what I know about general interviews they basically talk about your personal statement, in particular your special interests and personal study/reading within your subject.
    You might decide you'd love/hate to talk about your personal statement for 30mins, but unless you've told some outright lies in your statement I would strongly recommend you follow jneil's advice and choose based on which you like more.
    Thank you so much for your help! Just wondering how the general interview would differ from the academic interview? Do they not talk about your personal statement in the academic interview?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiq)
    I had three interviews this year, general interview is actually really pleasant. It's like a friendly chat about your hobbies, your interests and why the uni and course interests you!

Ahh ok - just wondering if you applied to johns or a different college? So they don't ask much about academics?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok - just wondering if you applied to johns or a different college? So they don't ask much about academics?
    Thanks
    Applied to Selwyn, there was questions about my interest in the subject but not subject specifics.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I have an offer for History from John's so I'll try to help!

The general interview is super chill and nothing to worry about. They'll ask the obvious 'why History' and 'why Cambridge' questions sort of as icebreakers, but from there on it's really more of a casual chat so that you'll have good vibes going into the subject interviews. I wouldn't stress it too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiq)

Or lack of hobbies in mine, haha.....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your help! Just wondering how the general interview would differ from the academic interview? Do they not talk about your personal statement in the academic interview?

Thanks
    From my experience (I interviewed for CompSci at Emma so take this with a pinch of salt) my academic interviews were almost entirely composed of academic questions. The only 'chatty' question I had was "Why computer science?", but I expect if I had had a general interview this would have been asked there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xianlong)
    Trinity is by far the best college. If u think ur a bigman apply there.
    Just so long as you don't apply using textspeak

ReputationRep:
    I agree with jneill - choice of college is so important for your life over the next few years and outweighs interview concerns

Stereotypes~~

John's = posh, full of rugby lads and private school kids from the South, very masculine
    Trinity = rich af, academic pressure cooker, very very masculine, full of mathematicians, sterile college life

Are they accurate? John's is a bit unfair. It's just a very large college. It has its fair share of posh people, but then again this is Cambridge. Trinity is more accurate - it's loaded, academically very successful (and thus especially demanding of its students), has a crazy gender imbalance (don't have the exact figures to hand but it's something like 65/35 M/F iirc), and has a LOT of mathmos. I guess that's all great if you're into that kinda thing

Imo neither of them are the best choices, but it's obviously a completely personal decision (since being at Cambridge I love the vibe of Pembroke [biased, this is my college lol], Jesus, Selwyn, and Emmanuel)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.