Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11. For the past 2 years I have only been taught foundation level maths, but recently I was entered for higher maths because my target grade is a 6. Anyway, long story short, please don't think of me as an idiot for not knowing this symbol. It has something to do with sequences. On the bottom right of the number is a little n. What on earth is that? Sometimes it has a circle above it. I've honestly never seen in it my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YasudaSayo)
    I'm in year 11. For the past 2 years I have only been taught foundation level maths, but recently I was entered for higher maths because my target grade is a 6. Anyway, long story short, please don't think of me as an idiot for not knowing this symbol. It has something to do with sequences. On the bottom right of the number is a little n. What on earth is that? Sometimes it has a circle above it. I've honestly never seen in it my life.
    Could you take a screenshot of the symbol or something?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths at uni and even I have no idea what the hell you've just described.... :lol:

Just a post a pic of it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    U_n

?

But there are no circles above it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    U_n

?

But there are no circles above it
    Yes it's that, but sometimes the n has a circle above it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It means the nth term. Link that may help.

But I don't know what you mean about the circle.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    u_n denotes the n^{th} term in any given sequence of numbers. For example; a sequence of -4, -2, 0, 2, 4 would have u_1=-4 and u_3=0 and u_4=2

Not sure where you've seen a circle above the n though...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's what the confusing mess in my text book looks like. I have no idea what it means or what it's asking of me, though. Nor do I understand what on earth you just said to me.
    Attachment 617386
    There's the circle.
    The "circle" is a full stop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    The "circle" is a full stop...
    Name:  ummmmm.png
Views: 43
Size:  26.9 KB Are you stupid?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's been explained well already, but it basically means an nth term sequence.

When the "n" is replaced by a number, say 1, that means the first term in that sequence. If the number was 15, it would mean the 15th term in the sequence etc. Does that make sense?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ummmmm.png
Views: 43
Size:  26.9 KB Are you stupid?
    No, but thanks for the concern. It's definitely a full stop, you'd never see a circle above the n.

When you end a sentence, you use a full stop. See? Just did it myself.

You can even compare it to full stops across the page - isn't it strange how they're identical?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Are you stupid?
    This is a great way of encouraging people not to help you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    This is a great way of encouraging people not to help you.
    dingdingdingdingding :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Your way of 'helping me' is just instructing me. I haven't been 'helped' at all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Your way of 'helping me' is just instructing me. I haven't been 'helped' at all.
    I mean...we are trying?

What exactly about what we've said are you struggling to understand? That way we can help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I accidentally 'liked' this post! Please don't take that as encouragement to continue to be rude.

If you have a sequence 3, 7, 11, 15 ...

The first term u_1 = 3

The second term u_2 = 7

The third term u_3 = 11

The fourth term u_4 = 15

Some maths questions ask you to find the n^{th} term of a sequence.

In this case the n^{th} term is u_n = 4n -1

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about the nth term right? A simple google search should help "Nth Term".
    Hope this is what the problem is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.