Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister works shifts?? Affecting my sleep Watch

So everyone on here is fully aware of how stressful the period in your life is from 14-25(ish) where all you're doing is constant exams - working towards the real thing, which is in my case, my GCSEs this year

My sister works shifts and some really unsociable hours, e.g. 11pm-7am, 5pm-1am, 12am-8am, and more besides that basically mean she's coming and going in the night. She's 22 and I feel slightly annoyed she hasn't moved out of the family house yet - I know she probably can't afford it, but when she was in school, nobody was disrupting her at such times.

She tries to be quiet but often isn't very. I've got some ear plugs but I can hear through them still and I don't know what to do - I really fear the lack of sleep will ruin my abilities to do well in exams.

Help??

ReputationRep:
    You can sleep somewhere else or talk to her about it and ask her to be more quiet.

ReputationRep:
    If she's coming in at 7 or 8 am then surely you should be up then anyway?
    Working those sort of shifts is hard work.
    How considerate are you when she's sleeping?
    You sound very selfish
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Experiment with different earplugs- the ones I use work wonders for me and they even block out the sound of my mum vacuuming!

Also try talking to your sister about it and ask her to be quieter.

ReputationRep:
    What noise is she making? If she's playing music or slamming doors or banging pots around in the kitchen then ask her to try and keep it down so you can sleep. If you can hear her brushing her teeth + walking around then there's not much she can do about that.

I'm sure if she has the choice she would work regular hours and have her own place so try and cut her some slack and remember this is much worse for her than it is for you. Someone else also had a good point - how quiet are you when she's sleeping?

I think you'll get used to this over time and learn to sleep through it.

ReputationRep:
    1st world problems. It's not ideal but really you are making a mountain out of a molehill. The more you think it affects you, the more it will.

There are people who have more serious problems and do great at exams, so it wouldn't be fair for you to use this as an excuse in my honest opinion.

ReputationRep:
    maybe i is your problem. you had better calm yourself down and tell me you can have a good sleeping. Anyone cannot disturb you if you want to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like this should be an issue at all.
    Coming in at 7/8am shouldn't be a problem because you should be waking up around that time for school anyway, and if not you could maybe use the extra time in the morning to do a bit of studying if that's what you're worried about?
    The 1am I can kind of understand if she comes in and starts watching tv/making food etc but if shes straight to her room trying to be quiet there's not much else she can do there, and 5 minutes of someone walking around shouldn't be enough to disrupt you.
    If its her leaving the house after 11 thats bothering you just have a word with her and ask her if she can keep the noise down.
    Her work pattern probably means she has to sleep during the day when everyone else is awake so she will definitely be dealing with more sleep disruption then you do. I'm sure she wants to move out and would if she could but at 22 its really not that easy to do unless you have an extremely well paying job or your family has money. I'm 24 and the majority of my friends work full time but still live at home because it costs so much to move out.

(also I can guarantee you that when she was doing her gcse's 9/10 year old you would disrupt her studies occasionally )

ReputationRep:
    You just need to get some good ear plugs, get a grip or just move out. I come home or go out at odd times too due to work and sometimes it's difficult. Unless she's playing loud music etc there's not alot she can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Be a little considerate - you're only doing GCSEs they ain't life or death first of all, and your poor sister's sleeping schedule is no doubt ****ed up, I'm sure she'd want to be working nicer hours and move out if she could.

Do you sleep at like 9pm? I don't see how this would disturb your sleep except for the 1am one but if you were already sleeping it won't be that hard to go back, and if it is just take a sleep aid. I doubt she comes home knocking into every piece of furniture in the house and doing jumping jacks outside your room. I'm sure she could use a little sympathy.

Stop looking for excuses this is such a non-issue it lowkey pissed me off :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how this is an issue?

my brother used to sometimes work late night shifts and it was never an issue. Yeah, sometimes I heard him ...but it was never a big deal or anything.

and for a while I used to wok the 10pm - 6AM shift and no one had any complaints about noise either....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.