Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there I don't really know whether to pick University of Nottingham or University of Surrey. I don't live in the UK and I probably won't have the opportunity to visit the universities beforehand so I could definately use some help!!! Anything you know would be useful, location, unis,course, anything! Thanks c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfigeniaC)
    Hello there I don't really know whether to pick University of Nottingham or University of Surrey. I don't live in the UK and I probably won't have the opportunity to visit the universities beforehand so I could definately use some help!!! Anything you know would be useful, location, unis,course, anything! Thanks c:
    Your choice probably won't really make any difference. If you want to get an idea of either campus, there is lots on youtube to see. Both courses score similiarly in league tables. I'm not sure what kind of advice you want, but i'm not sure there's anyone on here whose at either unviersity, and even if they were they would probably just tell you that their university is the best anyway

Maybe try a coin flip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)

Maybe try a coin flip?
    this advice is as good as any. I would mention as well that Surrey is likely going to be more accessible for this foreign student, if s/he is flying in to Heathrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    this advice is as good as any. I would mention as well that Surrey is likely going to be more accessible for this foreign student, if s/he is flying in to Heathrow.
    True but it's also really expensive xD so that's a put off .

ReputationRep:
    Have you maybe looked at university reviews at whatuni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    Your choice probably won't really make any difference. If you want to get an idea of either campus, there is lots on youtube to see. Both courses score similiarly in league tables. I'm not sure what kind of advice you want, but i'm not sure there's anyone on here whose at either unviersity, and even if they were they would probably just tell you that their university is the best anyway

Maybe try a coin flip?
    Haha you're probably right... Not even I know whats ort of advice I'm looking for... I just feel super stressed and I'm looking for an answer cuz i want to take this off my brain already!!! To be fair Surrey seems to be fairly ahead on the league tables but Nottingham seems to have a better reputation? Don't even know if it matters anymore XD

Thanks a lot for your time and your honesty

ReputationRep:
    Princepieman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Have you maybe looked at university reviews at whatuni?
    I have looked at pretty much everything there is to look at.. Everything shows that Surrey is better but a) it' seems very expensive and b) Nottingham asks for an A level and I kinda want to give worth to my A level, which is really considered as an extra qualification for me because I'm from Cyprus and we don't really do A-levels

Don't know
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I think Notts is the better uni overall. the experience you get there, the number of employers snooping around campus, the overall reputation of their courses I feel is on a higher level than Surrey.

That said, Surrey is also a very good institution. One that really does care about their students and the quality of their of their teaching, but, despite their increase in league tables it'll be a good few years til they match Notts' reputation amongst employers and academics.

ReputationRep:
    Haha you're probably right... Not even I know whats ort of advice I'm looking for... I just feel super stressed and I'm looking for an answer cuz i want to take this off my brain already!!! To be fair Surrey seems to be fairly ahead on the league tables but Nottingham seems to have a better reputation? Don't even know if it matters anymore XD

Thanks a lot for your time and your honesty
    I wouldn't worry too much about reputation or a few places here and there on the league table... these things change, and i can't see any employer employing you because you went to nottingham vs. surrey. Look at videos online to get a feel for each place, and look at rental prices to get an idea of the cost of living.

What will make the biggest difference in terms of employability is the experience you get in your dissertation (if you want to do a phd) and what you spend your summers doing (i.e. are you getting work/research experience?).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for helping me out guys Your opinions really did help me make my decision! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.