Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am just stuck on this question and wondering if anyone could help me with this:

Q.) Draw the four isomers of C4H9Br. Bromine has a relative atomic mass of 80; explain why there is no peak at m/z = 137 in the mass spectrum. What would you expect to see in the mass spectrum due to the molecular ion?

I've done the isomers part and I'm fine with that but it's the second part of the question I don't understand so please can anyone help me? Thank you
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwilliams044)
    I am just stuck on this question and wondering if anyone could help me with this:

Q.) Draw the four isomers of C4H9Br. Bromine has a relative atomic mass of 80; explain why there is no peak at m/z = 137 in the mass spectrum. What would you expect to see in the mass spectrum due to the molecular ion?

I've done the isomers part and I'm fine with that but it's the second part of the question I don't understand so please can anyone help me? Thank you
    They want you to say that there are two mlecular ions, separated by 2 m/z units

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    They want you to say that there are two mlecular ions, separated by 2 m/z units
    So then what would you expect to see on the mass spectrum?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwilliams044)
    So then what would you expect to see on the mass spectrum?
    errr, I just told you.

Two signals due to 79Br and 81Br in two molecular ions (about the same intensity, as the natural abundance of the two isotopes is approximately 50:50)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    errr, I just told you.

Two signals due to 79Br and 81Br in two molecular ions (about the same intensity, as the natural abundance of the two isotopes is approximately 50:50)
    okay cool thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.