Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Helloo guys,

Can someone help me with identifying the haloalkane on the attachment (its task 2 on the pdf file) please and explain how you get to the answer.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Chemistry004.pdf (239.4 KB, 50 views)

ReputationRep:
    What are your thoughts?

How have you tried to analyse the information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    What are your thoughts?

How have you tried to analyse the information?
    yeah I've looked at the question and I've come up with an answer of C3H7Br as the haloalkane but not sure about if that's right or not.

Plus I don't understand what the question means by identify and account for the intensity and position of each peak in the n.m.r and mass spectra of C3H7X. That's where I've got up to with this question

ReputationRep:
    Have you been taught about NMR in class, yet?

ReputationRep:
    Have you been taught about NMR in class, yet?
    yes but this is the first time doing questions based on it, I understood it whilst doing simple questions but I really don't get this one

ReputationRep:
    What does the doublet mean?

ReputationRep:
    What does the doublet mean?
    This means that there must be one hydrogen on the adjacent carbon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwilliams044)
    This means that there must be one hydrogen on the adjacent carbon
    And what does the multiplet (heptet) mean?

(and I'm soon to go to bed, so I'll ask the question, now, that I would have asked when you would have replied to this reply... and what does the fact that you've got two environments tell you?)

ReputationRep:
    And what does the multiplet (heptet) mean?

(and I'm soon to go to bed, so I'll ask the question, now, that I would have asked when you would have replied to this reply... and what does the fact that you've got two environments tell you?)
    multiplet is when you have more than 3 neighbouring hydrogens around the carbon

thank you for helping me out two environments show that there must be two different hydrogen environments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwilliams044)
    multiplet is when you have more than 3 neighbouring hydrogens around the carbon
    In this case, it is a nice, neat, symmetrical heptet - what would that suggest?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.