Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1110 - Treason and Terrorism (Amendment) Act 2017 (Second Reading) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    47.92%
    On the contrary, No
    45.83%
    Abstain
    6.25%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    who's proxying?
    Saracen's Fez

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez you are proxying for the member who constructed this bill , I am positive he would have supported his own bill and as you are proxying his seat I think it be right of you to vote aye or at least abstain.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez you are proxying for the member who constructed this bill , I am positive he would have supported his own bill and as you are proxying his seat I think it be right of you to vote aye or at least abstain.
    You and I will struggle to get along if you try and whip my MPs.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 may my vote be changed to nay please? Thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    adam9317 may my vote be changed to nay please? Thank you
    One Aye has been changed to a Nay for seat 32

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 Hey, sorry for the inconvenience but can you please change my vote to a nay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Ok noted, I didn't know
    I did a raise fair point tbh though, the guy who made this bill probably supports it!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't take instructions from opposition MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Porter)
    adam9317 Hey, sorry for the inconvenience but can you please change my vote to a nay?
    Looks like RayApparently has brought out the whip
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ok noted, I didn't know
    I did a raise fair point tbh though, the guy who made this bill probably supports it!
    His is an inscrutable mind.

Looks like RayApparently has brought out the whip
    Spoiler:
    Show

:eek:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Of course, you want to whip them all yourself
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Of course, you want to whip them all yourself
    :laugh: I'm sure it's a feeling you can empathise with. And people wonder why this was a PMB.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: I'm sure it's a feeling you can empathise with. And people wonder why this was a PMB.
    This is unfair mobbsy91 hasn't even whipped this bill.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oh I thoroughly enjoy a bit of kinkiness, though in actual fact there was no Tory whip in this case - if there was, I can assure you that those defying it would be in the dungeons, awaiting more enjoyable methods of 'fun' :whip:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is unfair mobbsy91 hasn't even whipped this bill.
    Seeing as you're already in favour, you wouldn't know if he had. Indeed I have advised those close to me of my views with regards to this bill but have not chosen to employ the services of the party's Chief Whip to push and prod. That courtesy is entirely due to the fact that the bill was put forward by members of my party.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you're already in favour, you wouldn't know if he had. Indeed I have advised those close to me of my views with regards to this bill but have not chosen to employ the services of the party's Chief Whip to push and prod. That courtesy is entirely due to the fact that the bill was put forward by members of my party.
    He would know, as all Party whips are done publicly to the sub-forum.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    He would know, as all Party whips are done publicly to the sub-forum.
    As are ours. But those on the right have been quick to accuse those on the left of 'whipping' if a suggestion is made to anyone by anyone that they should reconsider their vote outside of the formal procedure. I was generously using the looser vernacular of the Opposition.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As are ours. But those on the right have been quick to accuse those on the left of 'whipping' if a suggestion is made to anyone by anyone that they should reconsider their vote outside of the formal procedure. I was generously using the looser vernacular of the Opposition.
    But then I also think that a whip doesn't necessarily have to be strictly done as a whip. For example, I am sure that if I gave a member a strong account of my views, with strong suggestions of how I think they should vote - without explicitly whipping them - they may well just follow my rather strong suggestion of how I think they should vote.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    But then I also think that a whip doesn't necessarily have to be strictly done as a whip. For example, I am sure that if I gave a member a strong account of my views, with strong suggestions of how I think they should vote - without explicitly whipping them - they may well just follow my rather strong suggestion of how I think they should vote.
    In my view the difference between a whip and a suggestion is very simple. I will quickly forget about ignored suggestions - however 'strong' they were. But I'll remember broken whips at every election, internal vote, frontbench reshuffle or appointment that follows.

Only kidding, peace and love yall. :angel:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In my view the difference between a whip and a suggestion is very simple. I will quickly forget about ignored suggestions - however 'strong' they were. But I'll remember broken whips at every election, internal vote, frontbench reshuffle or appointment that follows.

Only kidding, peace and love yall. :angel:
    Bit soft! If a member is to break a whip of mine, they would be at the very least suspended!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.