The Student Room Group

UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design

I was just wondering what the UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is at other uni's like Ravensbourne, Plymouth, West London College. It says the diploma is awarded by UAL, does this mean if I study it at another uni, would I still have equal chance for entry for BA courses at Central Saint Martins? (I want to do Fashion Womenswear)

I'm just a bit confused about the diploma being awarded by UAL but studied at another uni. Thanks!
Original post by privarte
I was just wondering what the UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is at other uni's like Ravensbourne, Plymouth, West London College. It says the diploma is awarded by UAL, does this mean if I study it at another uni, would I still have equal chance for entry for BA courses at Central Saint Martins? (I want to do Fashion Womenswear)

I'm just a bit confused about the diploma being awarded by UAL but studied at another uni. Thanks!

UAL is just the exam board (like different schools all offer A levels from Edexcel or OCR) - they set the syllabus and moderate the marks and issue certificates. A UAL diploma from elsewhere will not be identical to taking that course at CSM (it may well be better) - different courses will offer different studio environments, different contact time and different staff contact. The CSM foundation doesn't offer any automatic progression or specific advantage for gaining entry onto a CSM course.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
UAL is just the exam board (like different schools all offer A levels from Edexcel or OCR) - they set the syllabus and moderate the marks and issue certificates. A UAL diploma from elsewhere will not be identical to taking that course at CSM (it may well be better) - different courses will offer different studio environments, different contact time and different staff contact. The CSM foundation doesn't offer any automatic progression or specific advantage for gaining entry onto a CSM course.

Thanks for this. Could you recommend some uni's that offer the UAL foundation diploma which is good for fashion & textiles?

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest