Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to have a career in geophysics. I spoke to a geologist who contacted a geophysicist who said in order to be successful, you need to be very smart and with at least a Masters degree, if not a PhD. What are people's experiences with this? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm not really sure what you mean by 'career in geophysics' (can you be more specific, what do you want to do?) - if you mean research then yes, you will need a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I'm not really sure what you mean by 'career in geophysics' (can you be more specific, what do you want to do?) - if you mean research then yes, you will need a PhD.
    Most likely petroleum geophysics, or maybe environmental. I'm still in school so don't know exactly what I would like to do. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobv11)
    Most likely petroleum geophysics, or maybe environmental. I'm still in school so don't know exactly what I would like to do. Thanks for your help.
    To get into petroleum, you'd likely need a separate MSc after your BSc- eg Petroleum Geoscience (RHUL, Manchester, Imperial, Aberdeen), Exploration Geophysics (Leeds). Depending on the state of the industry when you graduate, you might have a chance with a 4 year undergrad course (MGeol/MSci).

Geophysics is a good route to get into engineering/geotechnics/near surface geophys because of the maths skills you get from the course. You can do this with just a BSc!

If you think you want to go into academia/research a PhD is necessary, I'd advise a 4 year MGeol/MSci course to give you a taste of doing a research project.

If you think you'll get the grades, I'd look at applying for four year courses (five years in Scotland) - if you change your mind once you're at Uni you can easily change to a BSc but it's harder to switch the other way around!

PS - Most courses will ask for 2+ sciences at A-level for a Geology degree, and for geophys you will usually need Maths and/or Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    To get into petroleum, you'd likely need a separate MSc after your BSc- eg Petroleum Geoscience (RHUL, Manchester, Imperial, Aberdeen), Exploration Geophysics (Leeds). Depending on the state of the industry when you graduate, you might have a chance with a 4 year undergrad course (MGeol/MSci).

Geophysics is a good route to get into engineering/geotechnics/near surface geophys because of the maths skills you get from the course. You can do this with just a BSc!

If you think you want to go into academia/research a PhD is necessary, I'd advise a 4 year MGeol/MSci course to give you a taste of doing a research project.

If you think you'll get the grades, I'd look at applying for four year courses (five years in Scotland) - if you change your mind once you're at Uni you can easily change to a BSc but it's harder to switch the other way around!

PS - Most courses will ask for 2+ sciences at A-level for a Geology degree, and for geophys you will usually need Maths and/or Physics.
    thank you v much. i currently take maths physics and geography...I'm slightly concerned that geography isn't as credible as a purer science such as chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobv11)
    thank you v much. i currently take maths physics and geography...I'm slightly concerned that geography isn't as credible as a purer science such as chemistry
    Geography is fine! Even Oxford accept it as a science
    I was really worried before I started about it being really difficult with chemistry, but courses should have either an introductory chemistry/physics/maths for geologists module or the first year module in geochemistry/mineralogy will be designed to get everyone up to a good level of understanding!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.